Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just got a year1 service + bolt tightening done, by an official Alfa dealer, for £725 (US$925) in the UK.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just got a year1 service + bolt tightening done, by an official Alfa dealer, for £725 (US$925) in the UK.
Who with?

I bought mine from Mangoletsi but it's a 2hr drive so will maybe go to my old dealer in Derby, Beechdales

·
Registered
471 Posts
Another data point, the Spider on BAT presently had bolt tightening, brake fluid flush and oil change (noted on the invoice as "annual service") at Ferrari Maserati of Seattle and the owner paid $1,240 in labor in August of 2019. That cost seems pretty reasonable given the locale.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This really isn’t that big a deal. But everyone should do what they’re comfortable with.

I was told by both the tech, and service advisor at 2 different dealerships (because a new dealership took over the brand locally) to do it at 12k miles. Nobody’s going to void the warranty for doing so, it’s just not going to happen.

I’ve had a few things done under warranty. Full dash replacement, and a front shock replaced being the 2 major things. Both done well after the 1 year mark from when my car was originally purchased (I’m the 2nd owner). But I’m also only at 8200 miles currently, May will be 3 years from original purchase date. There was no issue getting these claims done. And they have no record of any bolt tightening being done so far.

So yeah, I’m not too worried about it and plan to have the bolt tightening done at my next annual service next fall, when I’ll be in the 11k-12k range. I also plan to purchase an extended warranty for an additional 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make sure you purchase the extended warranty before your car hits 3 years in service, the cost goes up dramatically after that. For example, 8 year (from initial purchase) 60K warranty with $200 deductible purchased before 3 years of service costs ~$2,500K - it is still the "new car" extended warranty. If you miss the 3 year mark, then you qualify for a different type, for example additional 5 years/60K miles from the time of warranty purchase (with $200 deductible costs almost $5,000). So one day after 3 year anniversary you may pay 2,500 more for pretty much the same thing - well you get a few more miles in the second case, depending on your current mileage.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just came back from the dealer to pick up my car. I was going to do it myself, but I'm just too busy. I have a good relationship with my dealer and he's charged me 600$. Kickass price. Cheaper than any independent shop.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just came back from the dealer to pick up my car. I was going to do it myself, but I'm just too busy. I have a good relationship with my dealer and he's charged me 600$. Kickass price. Cheaper than any independent shop.
How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got a quote of $1,295 from a dealer (in the middle of SF Bay Area) and $800 from an independent mechanic whom another 4C owner recommended. The difference between spark plugs replacement and brake fluid flush quotes at those two places were much higher than that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the loctite approach a good way to avoid having to do/pay for this again later ?
Any expert opinion on this ?
Why haven't they done this directly in the factory ?

Is that maintenance work required also on other carbon cars ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm taking my 17 in for it's second maintenance. The car has less than 6000 miles. The same dealership during the 1st maintenance told me to wait on the tightening due to low miles. I'll be curious what they say now. I'l post up what the cost is for maintenance and tightening later. Scottsdale Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
697 Posts
T
I'm taking my 17 in for it's second maintenance. The car has less than 6000 miles. The same dealership during the 1st maintenance told me to wait on the tightening due to low miles. I'll be curious what they say now. I'l post up what the cost is for maintenance and tightening later. Scottsdale Alfa Romeo.
No need to tightening the bolts at 6K miles. My car had 15K and no bolts were out of specs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Like I said before, I think the bolt tightening is a money maker for dealerships. Unless you track your car or drive on messed up roads I don’t think there is a need for this until you reach higher miles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Like I said before, I think the bolt tightening is a money maker for dealerships. Unless you track your car or drive on messed up roads I don’t think there is a need for this until you reach higher miles.
I think that's the case actually. They were going to charge me 1500 initially. The master tech who did the job told me that he worked on more than 30+ 4C and never found a bolt out of spec.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think that's the case actually. They were going to charge me 1500 initially. The master tech who did the job told me that he worked on more than 30+ 4C and never found a bolt out of spec.
It just varies. My car is a 2015 with just under 12k miles, never tracked. I do drive it spiritedly, but nothing crazy. I had the bolt-tightening done this past fall and had a few bolts out of spec.

I got my bolt-tightening done for 50% of the cost and was only charged $450 for it. If any of you are having warranty work done, which always seems to take longer than it should with these cars, get your service advisor to request from FCA getting the tightening done at a discount if you’re due for it or close like I was. I asked and they approved it for half price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wonder if they actually go through all of the bolts. I’m actually more concerned that the dealership will mess up my bolts or panels than having a few “out of specs” bolts. I have had so many bad experiences in my life with “high end” dealership breaking or scratching interior and/or exterior parts while servicing or fixing my cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wonder if they actually go through all of the bolts. I’m actually more concerned that the dealership will mess up my bolts or panels than having a few “out of specs” bolts. I have had so many bad experiences in my life with “high end” dealership breaking or scratching interior and/or exterior parts while servicing or fixing my cars.
Another concern of mine -- the previous owner did the bolt tightening, and I've noticed some panels aren't as aligned as I would expect. At first I thought it was the "hand built" nature, but I'm starting to think it is the result of the bolt tightening procedure.

Is it difficult to realign these body panels yourself?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That’s what I’m taking about. It shouldn’t be hard aside for having a lot of patience in aligning them back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm going to attempt this. I'm not a slouch mechanically, but was freaked out by the dealership. Does anyone have a list of parts, torque wrenches/sockets/extensions that they recommend? Is a lift necessary (I want to justify a Quickjack). Thanks everyone

81 - 100 of 103 Posts