Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thing plugs into your throttle pedal connector and claims to sharpen throttle response. I suspect its a scam product but don't wish to miss out if its not.

As well as improving throttle response, it also adjusts transmission to give quicker changes, they claim.

The maker seems to be European and have 8300+ 100% Positive Feedback. What say you?

·
Registered
269 Posts
DNA switch already changes the throttle mapping so you have a version of that now. I don't see how that gadget can have any impact on the transmission.

A member here did a full install and review on a similar product sold by a forum sponsor:

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
This thing plugs into your throttle pedal connector and claims to sharpen throttle response. I suspect its a scam product but don't wish to miss out if its not.

As well as improving throttle response, it also adjusts transmission to give quicker changes, they claim.

The maker seems to be European and have 8300+ 100% Positive Feedback. What say you?
Save your money......not for that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I buy one, I can send it back and get a full refund so thats not the concern, certainly not over 170 quid. The seller openly offers full refund satisfaction guarantee. Plus you have Paypal buyer protection and Ebay resolution.

They have 8300 plus scores and 100% Positive Feedback. I read a few and lots are these item and all happy. I just can't understand how that can be?

It doing nothing is not a concern I just send it back and we can all laugh about it. The worry is could it HARM my 4C?

·
Super Moderator
3,556 Posts
Can't see the point.....the car already remaps the shift points in different DNA modes somewhat. I doubt it would have any negative issues to worry about...but sounds like snake oil.

·
Registered
714 Posts
All this thing does is to alter the signal coming from the acceleration pedal:
For example: You press full throttle and it transmits to the ECU that you only accelerated 50% (or a different percent depending on the mode).
It does not give any extra power
It does not alter the gearbox changes

IMHO, if you want to accelerate more or less aggressive just press the acceleration pedal more or less aggressive --> This device does nothing that you can't already do with your foot.

Another note: Your acceleration pedal have same safe devices inside (2 signals that are analyzed by the ECU) --> This is to avoid any situation in which the car will accelerate by itself out of control. --> This device is basically altering these signals --> I would not be too relaxed about it.

On a + note: if you leave the car in a service for any operation you can tune the acceleration down to be sure nobody is trashing your car.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Have you had your ECU modified yet?
If not, I would recommend getting that done before plugging this thing in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said the interesting claim is that improves throttle response because my first observation, on my first drive, was that the 4C throttle is not as instantly responsive as the one in my diesel Volvo, a 2017 XC90.

I don't believe they claim this thing increases power, do they? I do indeed have a Stage 1 remapped clone ECU and have no interest in increasing bhp any further.

To be clear, this item and me posting about it, is about the throttle response which I think is lacking in my 4C. It plugs into the throttle and modifies the feedback to the ECU. That was my focus and why I brought it up.

I still can't believe that nobody has given them less than 100 percent feedback for them. Is this an ebay conspiracy?

·
Registered
507 Posts
If your throttle response is slower than your diesel Volvo XC 90, I would suggest getting the car checked out as that is definitely not my experience with my 4C, or any others that I have driven. It may be why no one here has fitted one as they have not had the need?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just a thought if you bought your car second hand. It is my understanding that the car ‘learns’ your driving style and responds accordingly. Could it be that if your car is a low miler and the previous owner just pootled around it, it needs time to relearn to your style of driving??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe. I had thought about that. The car had also been sat at the dealers for some time. I didn't think it was so bad it was a fault though, just a tiny delay to me moving my foot. I don't think its that anything is wrong with the 4C, rather that the Volvo is just better in that regard. I know it has a very powerful and fast computer brain to be able to do all the radar and self driving stuff.
Maybe the 4C throttle will seem fine when I put the Alfaworks ECU in.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The AW ECU will transform the car, though again it takes a little while to ‘learn‘. I don’t know about the throttle plugin, but I would fit the ECU first, run the car for a while, and then review.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Dynamic mode should be aggressive enough to actually be annoying at times. Any throttle mapping that makes the engine react to how your foot moves slightly over modest bumps and road dips should really be enough for anybody.

To me, D mode is as aggressive as needed for my default driving mode. While we're here, is there anyone that has made the throttle pedal a bit more resistant to movement? To me, the pedal could use a bit more effort. It moves too easily.

Hopefully, you're not like someone I met with a Giulia, who used "A" for aggressive. You'd think he'd walk back his opinion after learning what A is. Instead, he doubled-down and resisted understanding that N was 'Natural or Normal' and that D was for Dynamic. Afterall, the dealer told him D is race mode.

If you're in D mode with trans in M.... I can't imagine needing something to supplement that, and I know what naturally aspirated big block V8's connected to short rear gears feel like.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Anything that changes the throttle position sensor signal will only get you from zero to disappointment with less ankle extension. It does nothing to add power. It cannot alter shifting (except with respect to the position of your right foot). You just run out of revs/power with less throttle travel.

Given that the gearbox claim has been debunked, how much do you trust this device?

As Cipsony said, this does nothing that you cannot replicate for free with your right foot.

As Saxon said, tuning your car (clone ECU) will give you better throttle response and more at the top end.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dynamic mode should be aggressive enough to actually be annoying at times. Any throttle mapping that makes the engine react to how your foot moves slightly over modest bumps and road dips should really be enough for anybody.

To me, D mode is as aggressive as needed for my default driving mode. While we're here, is there anyone that has made the throttle pedal a bit more resistant to movement? To me, the pedal could use a bit more effort. It moves too easily.

Hopefully, you're not like someone I met with a Giulia, who used "A" for aggressive. You'd think he'd walk back his opinion after learning what A is. Instead, he doubled-down and resisted understanding that N was 'Natural or Normal' and that D was for Dynamic. Afterall, the dealer told him D is race mode.

If you're in D mode with trans in M.... I can't imagine needing something to supplement that, and I know what naturally aspirated big block V8's connected to short rear gears feel like.
Actually, the Volvo throttle is so sensitive that bumps in the road do feedback to the throttle through your leg! I'll soon get used to the pedal response in the 4C.

I didn't know the Alfaworks map improves the throttle anyway, so thanks for that info guys.

Anyway, I can't go and try anything, Storm "Dennis" is raging outside:(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Actually, the Volvo throttle is so sensitive that bumps in the road do feedback to the throttle through your leg! I'll soon get used to the pedal response in the 4C.

I didn't know the Alfaworks map improves the throttle anyway, so thanks for that info guys.

Anyway, I can't go and try anything, Storm "Dennis" is raging outside:(
I wish these storms would just **** off so we can use our cars.

My experience is the same as Philster, and like you with your Volvo. In D mode the throttle reacts to every bump in the road as my leg jolts with the bump. You should find your 4C to be the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,556 Posts
For another thought. When the car is in N mode and you are out of gear and step on the gas it will gain rpms relatively slowly....not like a normally aspirated car. Now put it in D or R mode and repeat....it will rev quickly when out of gear. That may be what you are feeling. You said your Volvo is sensitive enough that over a rough road your foot bouncing will make the car surge.....my 4C will do the same thing in D or even more in R mode when driving around at slower speed over bumpy roads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts