Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c spyder
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new 4C owner out here in Arizona. My alfa wouldn't start and I soon realized it was due to a very loose battery terminal. I was tightening it and I dropped a small wrench down in my engine bay. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I was looking at some posts and was thinking about getting some ramps to drive it up on and take the panel off that some remove for oil changes. I don't want to go to the dealer in fear that they're gonna charge me an astronomical price for something I may be able to handle myself.

Registered
Good time to explore... good time to learn how to remove the rear diffuser and underbody panels. The wrench is probably lying on the underbody panel,

just be careful and dont back OVER the ramps like a couple of our breatheren have done causing side skirt composite damage. 馃槵

you can even just back it up on a couple stepped 2x8 wood ramps and have enough clearance.

Reactions: Radams and 4Canada

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
Those that have tried ramps have sometimes had some bad $$$ experiences with them such as driving too far and falling off.....or one shooting out from under the tires as the tire grabs it. I am not a fan of ramps. I suspect the wrench is sitting on that removable tray. I suppose you could drive the car around a right hand corner hoping the wrench will slide out but it could catch on something to prevent that from happening....but might be worth a try. Did you try removing the engine cover to see if you can get a better view? The engine cover is very easy to remove....just pull up hard on each corner....there are 4 "grabbers" that hold it in place....no bolts or screws. I would do that first.

Super Moderator
I suppose it fell onto an undertray and you can鈥檛 see it using a torch? You could always try tying a magnet to some string and go fishing. There's not too much iron based alloy down there to get in the way....A magnetic pick-up tool sounds the go.

You could always do some hard right-handers to see if it will slide out.

I wouldn鈥檛 use ramps. Some on here have done that and damaged their sills when the wheels spat the ramps out as they reversed onto them.

Super Moderator
I suppose it fell onto an undertray and you can鈥檛 see it using a torch? You could always try tying a magnet to some string and go fishing. There's not too much iron based alloy down there to get in the way....A magnetic pick-up tool sounds the go.

You could always do some hard right-handers to see if it will slide out.

I wouldn鈥檛 use ramps. Some on here have done that and damaged their sills when the wheels spat the ramps out as they reversed onto them.
Caution that "torch" has a significantly different meaning in North America vs Aus or the UK.

Using a (North American) "torch" to find this will result in something like Call me Al's 4C!!! :oops:

I like the right hand turn idea, though.

Seriously though, jack up (correctly) from the left rear point, and pull the left rear wheel and liner (the liner is about 7 or 8 screws, and ignore the three bolts at the top - they just hold the front and rear halves together). Then, you should be able to see / reach most of the top of the under-tray if you don't have a ramp or lift to safely remove the diffuser and bottom trays with.

Good luck!

Super Moderator
Caution that "torch" has a significantly different meaning in North America vs Aus or the UK.

Using a (North American) "torch" to find this will result in something like Call me Al's 4C!!! :oops:

I like the right hand turn idea, though.

Seriously though, jack up (correctly) from the left rear point, and pull the left rear wheel and liner (the liner is about 7 or 8 screws, and ignore the three bolts at the top - they just hold the front and rear halves together). Then, you should be able to see / reach most of the top of the under-tray if you don't have a ramp or lift to safely remove the diffuser and bottom trays with.

Good luck!
Sorry, flashlight 馃榿

Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c spyder
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys! very helpful and good ideas. I have done some hard right handers but I dont even hear it rattling around which is the weird part. I"m going to go give some of these other suggestions a try. While we're here, is there a better way to tighten the terminals or any solutions to keep them from getting loose? I tightened mine the first time about 500 miles ago and already have them loose again. Thanks again!

Registered
It could have fallen to the side and got hung up before getting to the under tray. A magnetic pick up tool should work if you are patient. You could bump the undertray with a fist and listen for a rattle if it is sitting there.

Registered
Hello everyone, I am a new 4C owner out here in Arizona. My alfa wouldn't start and I soon realized it was due to a very loose battery terminal. I was tightening it and I dropped a small wrench down in my engine bay. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I was looking at some posts and was thinking about getting some ramps to drive it up on and take the panel off that some remove for oil changes. I don't want to go to the dealer in fear that they're gonna charge me an astronomical price for something I may be able to handle myself.
I have had good luck backing my car up the longer, soft race ramps for oil changes. I would do that and remove the rear lower panel to find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts