Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Simple: To afford a ferrari you need to earn some money. To do this you need to spend some time "behind the desk" - this in general lives you less time to spend behind the wheel. In adition to this most of ferraris are driven on factory tires while a track prepared car is equipped with semi-slicks or full slicks.
I think the bigger problem is a lot of rich guys buy a Ferrari because they have money and think now they have to; not because they love cars in the first place.
BTW, I have to spend a lot behind my desk to pay for my Alfa. Was always under the impression people who earn the big bucks exactly do sit less behind their desk. You earn money making other people work; rarely by working yourself! And before anybody gets angry at me, I see that as a talent!

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Nautilus Fully built race cars. Not much in common with standard Exige or Lancer. This is "extreme", the highest class.
I see :geek: . Is that the Lancer on the 3rd picture?
Keep the pictures coming; great stuff (y)
BTW, I have to spend a lot behind my desk to pay for my Alfa. Was always under the impression people who earn the big bucks exactly do sit less behind their desk. You earn money making other people work; rarely by working yourself! And before anybody gets angry at me, I see that as a talent!
Absolutely
Lots of desk time here also :confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,646 Posts
Yeah, I was soundly beaten by a Maiata last year. Except it had the LS engine from a Camaro 1LE (but still weighed less than the original MX5 and running crazy aero). Calling that a Miata was actually a bit of an insult to the work that went into it.

The goofiest thing about this was that we were in the same class, but if I had added even just an aftermarket spoiler, I would have been bumped up a class!

The cars on track have very little to do with the badge from the original platform.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah, I was soundly beaten by a Maiata last year. Except it had the LS engine from a Camaro 1LE (but still weighed less than the original MX5 and running crazy aero). Calling that a Miata was actually a bit of an insult to the work that went into it.

The goofiest thing about this was that we were in the same class, but if I had added even just an aftermarket spoiler, I would have been bumped up a class!

The cars on track have very little to do with the badge from the original platform.
Except ferrari: these cars usually remain untouched.

·
Super Moderator
15,646 Posts
Except ferrari: these cars usually remain untouched.
The only competitive Ferrari that I know of in my area is a completely gutted F430 with cage, front splitter, skirts, and I would guess a fair bit of modification in the engine/ecu as well. So, I would have to disagree. As track day cars, yes, they are typically stock on stock tires (and poorly driven).

·
Vendor
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I don't know any properly tuned or Ferrari in our country. It's more of a status symbol than an enthusiasts pick.

Well. Let's begin...

This going to be our support vehicle. She'll tow the trailer loaded with 4C to the Time Attack Italia events. It's 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5D with 265.000 km and lightly modded by GMS. It's ecu tuned, lifted, tired, winched and it has slight weight reduction. Not the fastest car out there, but I like it. I just did the timing belt change, complete suspension overhaul and all the fluids replacement to keep her ready. Traveling speed on a highway with trailer is about 90km/h, usually behind the truck to save some fuel. 😄

Here she is...

Today I also did physical training. 7x 200m of interval running with 45s of pause between sets and average pace about 4 min / km. After that, 30 min of core strength training.

IMG_20200721_170936.jpg IMG_20200721_170915.jpg IMG_20200721_171120.jpg IMG_20200720_191104.jpg IMG_20200721_170924.jpg Screenshot_20200721_183033_com.nike.ntc.jpg Screenshot_20200721_175645_com.nike.plusgps.jpg

·
Vendor
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Today I've met with our "carbon fiber" guy, to discuss the weight reduction and aero for our 4C. We need to increase cooling and reduce the weight at the rear of 4C first, so we started working on the rear. Full carbon rear hood and rear venting hatch instead of glass will be made. The rear hood will be reinforced enough to carry a proper rear wing and will have an optional "race" wing or "street" wing to go along. The venting hatch will be made of multiple pieces to achieve supreme rigidity and to prevent fluttering at speeds.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
472 Posts
I think the bigger problem is a lot of rich guys buy a Ferrari because they have money and think now they have to; not because they love cars in the first place.
I'll be brief: two real and living guys, both have money... Guess which has more money, although my point is that seat time is seat time, so even if you buy <insert car here> for the right reasons, you still need time for the seat time:
Met an inspiring man at a charity, started life as a straight A student at LAB school, University of Chicago, also varsity captain in two sports, went on to serve in Desert Storm, was on path to become JSOC, lost both legs saving a few soldiers and civilians. Used the honors and paychecks associated with being purple heart/etc to start a retired/honorably discharged soldier-employee factory of effective and affordable mobility solutions for disabled kids, among MANY MANY other organizations, charities, and quite successful businesses. He even consults, raised four children, all successful and married, one a happy gay couple, and mentored half the room I was standing in. He didn't even wear his half-medal military uniform, but a simple suit. I can't stress enough the clean, minimalist modesty of the guy.
Met another inspiration that sadly lost his dad to suicide very young, went to Columbia to learn code, wrote an app back in 2000's, retired in his early twenties. Plays games and dates now, that's about it (apart from investment activity). Has more money than the much older "ex-military guy".

Both have Lamborghinis, but neither give a damn about driving them well. Point is, I have WAY more seat time than either, but find myself in the middle or less than, let's call him "app-guy", as far as "achievement" (and "the poorest", but youngest, of either). Point is, seat time is seat time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is. The team has 2 exactly the same cars and truck with spare parts in excess of 200k€. Also most of other participants are not exactly running low on budget.
Thanks for keeping adding pics.
So, are you racing this weekend in Monza?

·
Vendor
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm also removing al the unnecessary body weight. It's all in and i don't want it any other way. :cool:

Today I did some benchmark running, to check what's the current psychical status. 7 mins of warmup, then 3 minutes off max effort (3'53'' per km) and then 3 minutes of cool down.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm also removing al the unnecessary body weight. It's all in and i don't want it any other way. :cool:

Today I did some benchmark running, to check what's the current psychical status. 7 mins of warmup, then 3 minutes off max effort (3'53'' per km) and then 3 minutes of cool down.
I learned to make greek salad and started to rationalize the bread. --> What we do for our alfa's ... :))))

21 - 40 of 68 Posts