Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice job especially in the quick corrections!
I got to give you credit in actually driving the car to and from the track.......:surprise:

·
Vendor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I don't consider myself as a lucky or talented driver, more hardworking and analitic. My results always came from a hard work and dedication, and even then not always when I wanted or needed them. Well this time, the God gave me a 30 min of opportunity window...track began to dry, tires began to heat up and the grip started to build up. A racing experience of a lifetime.

5 laps of epic battle between GMS street legal 4C and Scara73 track dedicated 4C. 2nd place in Superstreet class, 3rd in Supercar class and 6th overall from 75 participants in this run.

Thank you!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Pretty useless Wing on that track, am i right?

In the end you were just 0,2 seconds slower...congrats.

·
Vendor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hello fellows,

We are in Italia again. Near Rome more precisely. Tomorrow is a race at the nearby circuit named Vallelunga. It seems we'll be hardening and tempering the brakes and melting the pistons. Today it was 38 degrees on the street. We did about 700km today on the road and we have just finished the dinner. INow off to the streets for a cigarette and to see some local life...

Attachments

·
Vendor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
We are still in one piece.

4th place in a group SuperStreet, with a time of 1:51.108. 1.6s behind Scara73's track only 4C, and the fastest street legal car in our group. FYI, bone stock 4C is about 7s slower on a 4km track.

It would be more appropriate to categorize street legal and non street legal cars if you ask me, but it doesn't bother me really.

Video coming later...

Attachments

·
Vendor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
And here is my favourite build...

It is clean and nicely curved. It pooks very planted on the track. 3rd place overall if I remember correctly. About 200k€ build the mechanics said.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
We are still in one piece.

4th place in a group SuperStreet, with a time of 1:51.108. 1.6s behind Scara73's track only 4C, and the fastest street legal car in our group. FYI, bone stock 4C is about 7s slower on a 4km track.

It would be more appropriate to categorize street legal and non street legal cars if you ask me, but it doesn't bother me really.

Video coming later...
On what tires was the stock alfa ? (ARR or non ARR)?
And on what tires was the scara 73?

IMHO, tires are the most important thing. I suppose you are still on FZ201 (which is extremely grippy). You may also try trofeo R: they don't provide the same grip but are much lighter.

·
Vendor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Stock 4C was ARR.

Grip of my car was excellent, but soft compound was overheating badly at 38 ambient degree. It think another 0.5s could be shaved from my laptimes with current car, but I would need more track time to get to know the track better.

Car itself was very good. Alignment was perfect, with the tire wear even across all the tread. Damping was perfect, providing nice balance between oversteer and understeer. Alfaworks remaped ECU worked perfect and so did the TCT. My top speed was about the same as Scara73's but he probably lost some speed because of the downforce, but on the other hand probably also his cornering speeds were higher, so I am happy with that. The brake balance itself was very good, with a bit more rear brake bias, the car felt more manuverable on braking. My stopping distances were very good until the brake fade. Even with the fully floating GMS prototype BBK front and rear 330/320, high end brake pads and Castrol SRF DOT, I got brake fade, so I need to make cooling ducts for the front ASAP. The good thing is that this was probably the hardest abuse of the brakes I ever did experience as the track temps were insane, and still the rotors were perfectly straight. That's a big improvement over stock brakes and I'm very happy with this upgrade. I'll run a few more events and then the BBK kit should be available publicly in autumn this year. I believe that for track rats like me, this will be one of the best upgrades. You will also be able to replace only the rotors and no the whole discs, to save the future costs. I am also planing to offer stage2 BBK upgrade later, that would include high end calipers front and rear, while still retaining this BBK rotors. But more on that later...

As said, I was 1.6s behind Scara's73 car, which is probably a reality given the differences in the car (power, weight, aero). I still see a lot of room for improvement while still keeping the car street legal. I will pursuit the challenge to further develop the car and make it the ultimate street legal track toy.

Regarding my driving, it helped me a lot to train the Vallelunga track on thet simulator prior to the event so I did know the track in a lap or two good enough, to start pushing it. The funny thing though was, that the corner that on a simulator felt easy was super sick in a real life. After the main straight there is a hill and a compression afterward approching the fast right hand sweeper at about 210 km/h, making a minor brake and taking the corner at about 196 km/h right and then left. The car felt oversteery and floaty, but the tires were amazing and really gave me the confidence to push it, although I believe I could benefit a lot with some proper downforce in this section. So aero is the thing to look into, but it should be done smart, not to kill too much of a top speed. I can also feel the lack of LSD on tight corners, so that will be a near future upgrade too.

Overall, it was on of the best events I ever attended, although the conditions were demanding and there were a lot of crashes and failures of the cars and when you see all the cars getting towed out of the track is a bit mind buzzing when you enter the track.

I'll post some video action later...thank you guys for your support!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
@Gale - Very nice update! I just did Alex's brake ducts (Laptime in Germany), they are a nice little kit and should work good with your BBK. It is reasonably priced, and excellent for those of us who want to keep a "stock" look.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rudi, never I hear you talk about polish, wraps, dips or esthetic upgrades. All performance, that's who you are! Love it :love:!!!
I truly hope we once meet together on a track with both our cars! More north you get less fading as well!!
Have a nice journey and a safe trip home.

·
Registered
746 Posts
After the main straight there is a hill and a compression afterward approching the fast right hand sweeper at about 210 km/h, making a minor brake and taking the corner at about 196 km/h right and then left. The car felt oversteery and floaty, but the tires were amazing and really gave me the confidence to push it, although I believe I could benefit a lot with some proper downforce in this section.
So far I tried a few tires on the race track:
Federal RSR
Federal FZ 201
Michelin CUP 2
Toyo R888R
Trofeo R
Nangkang AR 1

Out of these, the most grip was provided by FZ 201. Even more interesting is that after a few track days they don't loose the grip (they have the same grip until you see the wires). They are quite heavy though.

Regarding the high speed corners: Well, with side skirts & diffuser you feel like you should accelerate more to get more grip and the "floaty" feeling is gone. What is more interesting is that if you loose the rear end you instantly get back control (the car stabilizes almost brutally like being pulled back on the rail) --> That I didn't expect and it's a nice feeling.
@ TOP speed is the same :)

61 - 80 of 109 Posts