Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Where did you get the parts for the 5 year timing belt replacement (and the fuel pump for good measure)? I am in US and I'll be using an independent mechanic. I could ship the kit from Alfa Workshop but it may take a while to arrive from UK.

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition #444
108 Posts
1- Do you have a link to the UK kit in question?
2- Could you order from local dealer?
3- I’m replying b/c I have the same question(s)

;) — my car just crested 20k miles (2015 LE) and was planning to do the same service this summer, also at my indie shop. So I’ll need the same “kit” for the same reason. Subscribed!

·
Super Moderator
11,898 Posts
No need for a fuel pump but a water pump might come in handy. I purchased mine from Alfaworkshop too. Much cheaper than buying local, unfortunately, even when considering shipping cost. Don’t be shy. You can email them for advice. They are very good to deal with. I posted a list of items I purchased from them somewhere on here and a few others have too. Do a search. If you can’t find the relevant posts I’ll have a look myself. Just let me know. I’d check and compare prices with your local ( to the US) vendors first. Ours in Oz really stack on the Alfa Tax.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi all,

Where did you get the parts for the 5 year timing belt replacement (and the fuel pump for good measure)? I am in US and I'll be using an independent mechanic. I could ship the kit from Alfa Workshop but it may take a while to arrive from UK.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1- Do you have a link to the UK kit in question?
2- Could you order from local dealer?
3- I’m replying b/c I have the same question(s)

;) — my car just crested 20k miles (2015 LE) and was planning to do the same service this summer, also at my indie shop. So I’ll need the same “kit” for the same reason. Subscribed!
Here is the link! Alfa Romeo 4C Cambelt Kit

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need for a fuel pump but a water pump might come in handy. I purchased mine from Alfaworkshop too. Much cheaper than buying local, unfortunately, even when considering shipping cost. Don’t be shy. You can email them for advice. They are very good to deal with. I posted a list of items I purchased from them somewhere on here and a few others have too. Do a search. If you can’t find the relevant posts I’ll have a look myself. Just let me know. I’d check and compare prices with your local ( to the US) vendors first. Ours in Oz really stack on the Alfa Tax.
Yes, water pump, my mistake. Thanks, I may just order it from them if the shipping is relatively fast.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Mopar parts
Hi all,

Dealer/Mopar parts counter...

But... Does your mechanic have the cam locking tools?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
912 Posts
Order it on Ebay. Check out my thread about it:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I did the job myself in the my garage. I bought the entire kit, parts and cam/crank locking tools from Alfa Workshop UK. From order to arrival in Virginia it was four (4) days.
I down loaded the instructions and all of the color pictures and worked through it step by step. It took me two days over the weekend but I also engineered, developed and installed a rear jacking point. I had to buy a T-50 Torx handle
to get the auxiliary pulley off (a ratchet and socket will not fit) and I bought a set of Ribe bits

because the four bolts on the crank pulley are Ribe NOT Torx and I had no desire to strip their heads trying to get them out. I also needed to supply my own bolts to attach the cam locking tools to the engine. Seven (7) bolts I had sitting in my bolt box...

I spent time going to the store twice to buy tools (Torx and Ribe) and as I wrote, while I had the undertrays off I fabricated a rear jacking point which took a few hours from start to finish. I'd say a younger (I'm 59) mechanic could pull this job off in one day.

There are a few minor differences between USA delivered cars, Spiders and Coupes and the European Coupe Alfa Workshops used for the instructional process but nothing a mechanic able to change a 4C timing belt would have any issues with.

The hardest, most time consuming part of the job was actually removing the bodywork to access the front of the engine.

Another thing you should be aware is that you do not have to remove the intake crank pulley to remove/replace the water pump. I actually didn't even loosen either cam drive pulley. I fitted the belt and backed the crank up slightly to take all of the slack out, fitted the belt to the cam pullies and around the crank then rotated the crank forward again to put the slack all on the side of the tensioner. I locked the crank back down and finished fitting and tensioning the belt. I rolled the engine over several times and all three of the locking tools slipped right back into place so the timing was perfect.

No weird one-off tools required. The T-50 Torx handle and the Ribe bits were readily available at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. The cam pullies are 30mm sockets... Everything else is just regular metric sizes between 5mm and 19mm, nothing special.

I had a good time doing it but neither the cam belt nor the water pump looked bad in any way shape or form. My car is 5 years old but only has 9,050 miles at time of change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.