Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
REPLACE THE WATER PUMP
REPLACE THE WATER PUMP
REPLACE THE WATER PUMP, because the labor is essentially free, and the part is cheap and protecting you from catastrophic engine failure.

Seals get replaced with the parts. YES

Replace/Update tensioners. YES

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys so I did my own timing belt replacement. And listen to me when you want to ensure every pulley, tensioner, water pump, and belt are replaced. I performed this maintenance on my 2015 4c with 15k miles at the time of service and there was signs of wear into the belt.

Old belt on the left and new on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve never owned an economical high performance sports car. One of the cars I own is a 91 Ferrari Testarossa. The cheapest I’ve ever heard of was $6800. You need to drop the engine subframe.
I wrench all the cars I own and have done this twice to the Testarossa. It’s a good time to replace seals, tensioner bearings, water pump, and anything else that you don’t want to drop the engine to do.
The parts alone are close to $1000. This is real insurance since the cost of a broken belt can be staggering and dropping the subframe again for a seal wouldn’t be funny either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys so I did my own timing belt replacement. And listen to me when you want to ensure every pulley, tensioner, water pump, and belt are replaced. I performed this maintenance on my 2015 4c with 15k miles at the time of service and there was signs of wear into the belt.

Old belt on the left and new on the right.
I’m planning on replacing my timing belt later this year. How difficult was the job after the side panel was removed? Are the timing marks clearly labeled? Also, do you have any advice now that you finished the job?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’m planning on replacing my timing belt later this year. How difficult was the job after the side panel was removed? Are the timing marks clearly labeled? Also, do you have any advice now that you finished the job?
Timing belt is a simple job. Just time consuming. For ease I recommend pulling both rear quarters as it makes access easier for placing the cam lock tools. Gear gear marks are easily visible but not necessary of lining up marks unless you mess up the belt replacement. You will also need the specific cam and crank lock tool. I have a thread on it here

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I realize we are just now hitting the five year point for the first 4Cs here in the USA, but has anyone done this Timing Belt service yet? How much did it cost for parts and labor and how long did it take? Has anyone replaced the water pump before? How much did that cost parts and labor? Has anyone replaced tensioners? Why and parts/labor details please? And the accessory belt, anyone replaced that?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My knowledge of this is NOT 4c specific, as I have 4k miles and 8 months on mine so far, but for cars in general, yes. Replace the water pump and tensioners at the same time as the timing belt. The labor involved getting to the timing belt is expensive. When the tech is there, the water pump is right there as well. The fear is if the water pump fails, your engine will not be properly cooled, which will lead to damage. The water pump is an inexpensive part, but changing the water pump will require the same labor involved changing the timing belt...so in that 1k+ range for the 4c. For another 75ish, just do it at the same time and the water pump life is reset, so to speak. The tensioners can cease to properly tension over time and a belt with less than required tension can slip, so many replace the tensioners at the same time, using the same logic as the water pump replacement.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I realize we are just now hitting the five year point for the first 4Cs here in the USA, but has anyone done this Timing Belt service yet? How much did it cost for parts and labor and how long did it take? Has anyone replaced the water pump before? How much did that cost parts and labor? Has anyone replaced tensioners? Why and parts/labor details please? And the accessory belt, anyone replaced that?
Getting mine done in January. Timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, tensioner, oil change, sparks plug and replacing the stock air filter with a Sprint air filter. I just received my Gates timing belt kit, that includes the water pump and tensioner from Ebay (UK). Total cost for the kit was a little less than $215. I was quoted 6-8 hours of labor with spark plug replacement, oil change, coolant flush and brake flush @ $125 hour. So you are looking at about $1,200ish USD. This is an independent shop that specializes in Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati.

Parts from the mechanic would have been $950, but I sourced my own parts at totaled around $550.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,521 Posts
My knowledge of this is NOT 4c specific, as I have 4k miles and 8 months on mine so far, but for cars in general, yes. Replace the water pump and tensioners at the same time as the timing belt. The labor involved getting to the timing belt is expensive. When the tech is there, the water pump is right there as well. The fear is if the water pump fails, your engine will not be properly cooled, which will lead to damage. The water pump is an inexpensive part, but changing the water pump will require the same labor involved changing the timing belt...so in that 1k+ range for the 4c. For another 75ish, just do it at the same time and the water pump life is reset, so to speak. The tensioners can cease to properly tension over time and a belt with less than required tension can slip, so many replace the tensioners at the same time, using the same logic as the water pump replacement.
Precisely!

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Getting mine done in January. Timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, tensioner, oil change, sparks plug and replacing the stock air filter with a Sprint air filter. I just received my Gates timing belt kit, that includes the water pump and tensioner from Ebay (UK). Total cost for the kit was a little less than $215. I was quoted 6-8 hours of labor with spark plug replacement, oil change, coolant flush and brake flush @ $125 hour. So you are looking at about $1,200ish USD. This is an independent shop that specializes in Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati.

Parts from the mechanic would have been $950, but I sourced my own parts at totaled around $550.
Finally some facts! Bravo! Now we are getting somewhere. Please let us know how it goes, and if you can share any additional information about the actual parts, numbers, names, links to these anywhere, or anything else that would leave a bread crumb trail we can follow that would be great too. Since you are apparently the first to do this on the Forum we're all going to be quite interested. THANKS!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Finally some facts! Bravo! Now we are getting somewhere. Please let us know how it goes, and if you can share any additional information about the actual parts, numbers, names, links to these anywhere, or anything else that would leave a bread crumb trail we can follow that would be great too. Since you are apparently the first to do this on the Forum we're all going to be quite interested. THANKS!
I believe Sammy did the cam belt service himself not too long ago.

Also noticed a 5 inch crack on my windshield, so that will be getting replaced soon. Dealer wants $4,800 and aftermarket is about $1,500. Just need the time to file a claim with insurance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,410 Posts
I haven't heard of a broken cam belt on a 4C yet....but my wife used to have a 70's Fiat 4 door sedan with the TC 1600cc engine in it. It broke the belt twice in 20,000 miles from new. Both times on warranty...and quickly sold the car. Since heard that the belts weren't correctly reinforced and supposedly later belt were. And yes...it was an interference engine I believe as it did need valves replaced. Evidently it wasn't bad enough to trash the engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm coming up on this service as well. I had no idea the mechanic needs to remove the rear quarter panels to do it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's important to replace the water pump. Mine was starting to leak. Thanks god my mechanic noticed and he changed it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's important to replace the water pump. Mine was starting to leak. Thanks god my mechanic noticed and he changed it.
I just went to see my dealer about the belt replacemnt. It takes 4.6 hours of labor. Total cost, parts and labor $777.08. The tensioner is more expensive than the belt. I did not ask about water pump replacement.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just went to see my dealer about the belt replacemnt. It takes 4.6 hours of labor. Total cost, parts and labor $777.08. The tensioner is more expensive than the belt. I did not ask about water pump replacement.
Find an independent mechanic that works on Italian cars. I don't trust dealers.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Don’t forget guys, in addition to the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner; you’ll want to have the accessory belt and tensioner replaced as well at the same time.

Mine was recently replaced under warranty because the tensioner was starting to fail and was caught in time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don’t forget guys, in addition to the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner; you’ll want to have the accessory belt and tensioner replaced as well at the same time.

...not to muddy the waters here, but should the thermostat be replaced as well like other cars? If I recall correctly, it doesn't have a traditional thermostat. Any knowledge on this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone actually had a water pump fail on a 4C? I’d assume if it fails the car goes to limp mode and then you will see the temp rise, typically slowly. You just shut it off and have it towed. A water pump can last like 100k and the possibility of it not sealing correctly upon replacement is higher than from the factory. I mean definitely inspect it and see if it’s leaking. But replacing a functional part is like replacing a kidney, just because you can.

Ready? Everyone Is gonna murder me for having a differing opinion. Annnnd...go!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts