Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I see your point and I’m sure the water pump will last a lot longer. The reason people change it is that it is so economical to purchase and the tech can replace it easily since he is going to be in that area anyways.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
...not to muddy the waters here, but should the thermostat be replaced as well like other cars? If I recall correctly, it doesn't have a traditional thermostat. Any knowledge on this?
The 4C doesn't have a regular thermostat. Instead it has a two stage setup that can be set to flow different amounts evidently. So instead of open or close it can be much more precise in the temperature adjustment. I am not sure how this is accomplished but it isn't just a simple thermostat and aids keeping the engine at an optimum performance level and smog performance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
I had the 5 year service done a couple months ago.....cam belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, spark plugs, brake fluid flush, plus a couple of additional items I wanted done like the TCM shield that didn't come on my 2015 LE...ran around $1400. Not Chevy or Ford cheap but for a fancy sports car that is cheaper than the other brands.

·
Super Moderator
7,599 Posts
I can't be bothered to research the price of parts in the US but getting my parts from Jamie, I'm saving $600 alone just on a pair of front discs...With 3 Alfas needing bits at the moment there's further $100's in savings by not buying locally (unfortunately). Haven't yet got to calculating shipping but even if it's $300 I'll still be well ahead. I've done some local and Euro comparisons. 5 years is my limit wuth the 4C/Giulietta and Sud and 4 with the 147TS. Always do the waterpump at the same time. They're as cheap as chips so why skimp?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
For those that want to change the cam belt their selves, a warning.....NEVER fold it tightly to make a small radius curve for storing or shipping. That will compromise the belt rendering it ruined....I read that in an ALFA release.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had the 5 year service done a couple months ago.....cam belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, spark plugs, brake fluid flush, plus a couple of additional items I wanted done like the TCM shield that didn't come on my 2015 LE...ran around $1400. Not Chevy or Ford cheap but for a fancy sports car that is cheaper than the other brands.
Just a curiosity, did you have it done at a dealership or an indy shop?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
Just a curiosity, did you have it done at a dealership or an indy shop?
Dealership in Michigan about 4 miles from my home. They are VERY good....and the tech is amazing. The name is Genesis ALFA/Fiat in Macomb. Another 4C forum and AROC member has the twin of my 2015 LE and is my neighbor. He had the same work done on his about a month before I did. He said it was the best dealership experience he has ever had...and I agree. Shows there are some dealerships that aren't stealerships and do great work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I see your point and I’m sure the water pump will last a lot longer. The reason people change it is that it is so economical to purchase and the tech can replace it easily since he is going to be in that area anyways.
I get the reasoning. I’m just saying that you’re opening yourself up to problems that you may not have had otherwise. If you don’t have a problem with the water pump, why create the possibility for one? ESPECIALLY if you have low miles on your car. You could totally wait until the second timing belt change to take care of the pump.

If the part doesn’t typically fail under low mileage, I don’t think there is a need to change it. I would never crack a seal on something that should last 100k miles and isn’t currently giving you a problem or showing signs of wear.

·
Super Moderator
7,599 Posts
I get the reasoning. I’m just saying that you’re opening yourself up to problems that you may not have had otherwise. If you don’t have a problem with the water pump, why create the possibility for one? ESPECIALLY if you have low miles on your car. You could totally wait until the second timing belt change to take care of the pump.

If the part doesn’t typically fail under low mileage, I don’t think there is a need to change it. I would never crack a seal on something that should last 100k miles and isn’t currently giving you a problem or showing signs of wear.
So, you’re volunteering to go without changing the water pump and see if anything fails over a further 5 years? Good man!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Posted this in another thread...but when I had my timing belt/bolt tightening (also tensioners and idler pulley) service done I specifically asked about the water pump since so many on the forums were recommending them be replaced. The lead tech said if the seal is good he doesn't recommend replacing the water pump until the 10 year mark, when it is time to do a coolant flush. The coolant is good for 10 years / 150k miles, according to the Alfa service maintenance interval. So I've decided to wait until the next timing belt service and will replace the water pump at that time. If I have any issues I will keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Posted this in another thread...but when I had my timing belt/bolt tightening (also tensioners and idler pulley) service done I specifically asked about the water pump since so many on the forums were recommending them be replaced. The lead tech said if the seal is good he doesn't recommend replacing the water pump until the 10 year mark, when it is time to do a coolant flush. The coolant is good for 10 years / 150k miles, according to the Alfa service maintenance interval. So I've decided to wait until the next timing belt service and will replace the water pump at that time. If I have any issues I will keep everyone posted!
Sounds like an honest tech vs one just wanting to make an extra buck. I think this is the wisest thing. Water pumps don’t fail because they age. They fail from usage. So if at 10 years you’ve only driven 60k or so, that’s probably the right time to do it. It makes a lot of sense to me to do it with the coolant flush and 2nd belt change.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
So if your pump fails and the engine overheats causing severe damage (quite likely), do you think the warranty will cover you if you didn't follow the recommended service at appropriate intervals? There are some things I will gamble on but an engine loss potential on your dime......no way. I would hope that if you sell the car at some point down the road you include a disclosure that you haven't followed the service recommendations. When I buy a car I want to SEE proof that it was maintained correctly or I will pass to the next car. One of our members posted that when he did the cam service they found the water pump to be leaking and possibly ready to fail.....so don't think it can't happen. By the way....another tip....make sure you replace the idler when doing the cam belt. The belt is cheap....idler is more expensive....and frankly the idler is more likely to fail than the belt from what I have heard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if your pump fails and the engine overheats causing severe damage (quite likely), do you think the warranty will cover you if you didn't follow the recommended service at appropriate intervals? There are some things I will gamble on but an engine loss potential on your dime......no way. I would hope that if you sell the car at some point down the road you include a disclosure that you haven't followed the service recommendations. When I buy a car I want to SEE proof that it was maintained correctly or I will pass to the next car. One of our members posted that when he did the cam service they found the water pump to be leaking and possibly ready to fail.....so don't think it can't happen. By the way....another tip....make sure you replace the idler when doing the am belt. The belt is cheap....idler is more expensive....and frankly the idler is more likely to fail than the belt from what I have heard.
I’m not sure how long your warranty is, but the one from the factory only last 4 years. Also, changing the water pump is not in the maintenance schedule. So it’s not recommended service, and I would not have any reason to tell someone I have followed recommended service.
And your car doesn’t overheat as soon as the water pump fails. It begins getting hot then goes in to limp mode. At that point you stop driving it and get it towed. You don’t damage the engine immediately because your water pump failed.
Now regarding the person who showed a water pump leaking...that is the perfect time to do it. It’s showing signs of failing, you’re already in there. You’re proving my point. Fix it when it needs to be fixed. But if it’s not showing any signs of failure, you’re just cracking a seal and opening yourself up for problems that weren’t already having.
I’m not trying to be a jerk and be challenging, but have you had a water pump fail on a modern car? Can you show me where in the the service manual it recommends changing the pump? This is really just an old car guy myth that isn’t actually necessary. But you do you

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
I am an old guy ;-) but there are some things that experience shows are good ideas. My point is that it is a cheap part but expensive labor unless you are already there for another reason like the cam belt and serpentine belt change. By the way I have a 8 year full coverage warranty that was added when the car was bought new (was cheap than). And I did have a water pump fail on another car...actually through cavitation which ate up the impeller fins to the point it couldn't pump sufficient water quantity to keep it from running very hot or overheating under hard driving. At first I thought it was a bad radiator and/or thermostat but after going through replacing both, finally figured out it was the pump.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I’m kind of agreeing with you on this one. The water pump is not a scheduled maintenance at 5 years unless it has a ton of miles. I would just have one ready in case it needs replacing. If not, you can save it for the next timing belt service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am an old guy ;-) but there are some things that experience shows are good ideas. My point is that it is a cheap part but expensive labor unless you are already there for another reason like the cam belt and serpentine belt change. By the way I have a 8 year full coverage warranty that was added when the car was bought new (was cheap than). And I did have a water pump fail on another car...actually through cavitation which ate up the impeller fins to the point it couldn't pump sufficient water quantity to keep it from running very hot or overheating under hard driving. At first I thought it was a bad radiator and/or thermostat but after going through replacing both, finally figured out it was the pump.
So was the car permanently damaged?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,455 Posts
In that case no because I happened to glance at the temp gauge when it went up (very quickly finally) to dangerous level when street driving and at a stop sign. Having raced in SCCA I know that often gauges will only show you an issue if you are looking at them....unless you watch them like a hawk (not good idea when racing) you may find out something is wrong not by the gauge but by spouting coolant or steam....or worse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In that case no because I happened to glance at the temp gauge when it went up (very quickly finally) to dangerous level when street driving and at a stop sign. Having raced in SCCA I know that often gauges will only show you an issue if you are looking at them....unless you watch them like a hawk (not good idea when racing) you may find out something is wrong not by the gauge but by spouting coolant or steam....or worse.
What kind of car was it? I had a 335i coupe have a water pump fail. It immediately warned me of the temp, went into limp mode and told me to pull over immediately. No damage done.

·
Super Moderator
7,599 Posts
What kind of car was it? I had a 335i coupe have a water pump fail. It immediately warned me of the temp, went into limp mode and told me to pull over immediately. No damage done.
I’ve got a bit of aviation experience and appreciate the philosophy of replacing items before they are due to fail. Never experienced a water pump failure in my life in my Alfas and hope to keep it that way.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts