Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

tire pressures

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kazkioken 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on tire pressures? I have a 2018 coupe with original tires, and have heard many different ideas about tire pressure ranges, from 18- 22 to 26-29, which is what is on my door jamb. I've tried a number of things, but was wondering what experiences others have had.

#3 ·
The limits for this car are very dependent on pressure.

You don’t really have tires if you run 18/19” wheels - they are rubber bands. Dropping them too much will likely cause rim damage.

The only way I’d go 3psi lower is on a track day where I knew I’d be getting the temps up fast and adjusting them after a few laps or a session wasn’t going to be possible for some strange reason. The idea would be to avoid overinflation due to heat.

You aren’t likely to ever get your tires that hot on the street - even “canyon carving”.

Don’t forget, door card pressures are COLD.

#4 ·
Lot of past posts on this subject. For the stock tires stick with the door label pressures.....29#R/26#F. A 4C is a short wheel base and wide car with low profile tires and the weight distribution is nearer the central point of the car whereas many cars tend to put more weight towards the front and rear of the car. The actual weight distribution is around 60R/40F. When you put the weight outward it makes the car harder to rotate/change directions but perhaps a bit more forgiving of bonehead moves.
If you go to a slightly larger tire (more air volume) you would drop those pressures 1-2# and if going on track once warmed up your would drop the pressure also...but make sure you pump them back up to the cold pressures before returning home to protect the tires and rims.
A 4C is very sensitive to even small 1or2# pressure differences front to rear.

CAUTION.....when having the car serviced, new tires, etc. check those pressures. For some reason mechanics think that all tires need to be about 35#. That is bad news for a 4C....will make it handle and ride like crap,.. and accentuate tramming (the stock tires also accentuate tramming). I highly recommend getting a high quality pressure gauge and one that doesn't have a very high maximum pressure.

#8 ·
I aim for hot pressures of around 32psi for my Hankooks and temps reasonably even across the tread. I find I need a few sessions to get pressures right because of a tendency to take it easy early on. Hoping someone with Pilot Super Sports can help out. The info below allegedly came from Michelin regarding Pilot Super Sports...Hope it’s of some help. Basically, it’s a suck it and see approach.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.