Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been talking to a motorsport exhaust maker about making decat down pipe and mid sections for our car in titanium.
The down pipe costing just came in. £1040 if ten of us go for it.
3”, 1.2mm wall, grade 2 titanium, tig welded to perfection. I’ve used this company before and the welding is amazing. They look like automated welds the guys are they good.

If 10 people are interested this moves forward. If more than 15 people are interested the price comes down.

This is the company. They make exhausts for F1, Indy car and WRC. https://www.cte-adv-tech.com/

I will update when I get the price for the mid section.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
If you can't get enough folks for the group buy, SCARA73 has full Ti exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you can't get enough folks for the group buy, SCARA73 has full Ti exhaust.
I asked about that ages ago and got nowhere. I vaguely remember Enrico saying he was too busy with developing other products. I’ve just emailed him so we shall see. It’s a lot less hassle if it’s available.

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
I asked about that ages ago and got nowhere. I vaguely remember Enrico saying he was too busy with developing other products. I’ve just emailed him so we shall see. It’s a lot less hassle if it’s available.
His might be a little less than 3” dia, which in my limited estimation would be better for exhaust speed to maintain throttle/turbo response in the low to mid-range.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have been talking to a motorsport exhaust maker about making decat down pipe and mid sections for our car in titanium.
The down pipe costing just came in. £1040 if ten of us go for it.
3”, 1.2mm wall, grade 2 titanium, tig welded to perfection. I’ve used this company before and the welding is amazing. They look like automated welds the guys are they good.

If 10 people are interested this moves forward. If more than 15 people are interested the price comes down.

This is the company. They make exhausts for F1, Indy car and WRC. https://www.cte-adv-tech.com/

I will update when I get the price for the mid section.
Im in on this , just please insure it will be a direct fit with no surprises

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have been wanting to change my stock race exhaust for the past 6 months. Maybe we can come up with a group bus with scara73 as well?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had an email from Enrico and as I suspected, no longer in production due to problems. The offer to get them made by CTE stands, if 10 spots are filled.

keep in mind this is for a decat downpipe in titanium. It doesn’t include the mid section or a cat like Enrico was offering.
This is the downpipe the quotation was based on.

So Lars and me are in, 8 spots left.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Lets go guys , should make some more power with this and some nice noises

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lets go guys , should make some more power with this and some nice noises

Indeed it will sound different. More complex and therefore “Exotic” because Titanium, like Inconel and Zirconium, resonates with harmonics 😎
I’m not saying it will be like the difference between a vintage Fender Strat and a tennis racket but we should hear something different.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Indeed it will sound different. More complex and therefore “Exotic” because Titanium, like Inconel and Zirconium, resonates with harmonics 😎
I’m not saying it will be like the difference between a vintage Fender Strat and a tennis racket but we should hear something different.
It will sound amazing. The Akra sounds much better than any of the other options IMHO and it's really just because it's titanium. The sound is much higher and exotic than a SS exhaust.

Hi flow cat option? I love this concept but am not sure I could realistically go catless (need to do emissions where I live). Also, would this mate up to the Akra? How would that element work?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will sound amazing. The Akra sounds much better than any of the other options IMHO and it's really just because it's titanium. The sound is much higher and exotic than a SS exhaust.

Hi flow cat option? I love this concept but am not sure I could realistically go catless (need to do emissions where I live). Also, would this mate up to the Akra? How would that element work?
I’m getting mid section done locally tig welded in stainless, on the car and clamped between the Titanium downpipe and rear system. It will include a high flow cat and flex pipe. Stainless is no problem to get done and cheap too.

CTE could do it titanium but it wouldn’t be cost effective.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
No Ti tho😒
Yeah that's the killer feature here. I love the Ti sound.

I’m getting mid section done locally tig welded in stainless, on the car and clamped between the Titanium downpipe and rear system. It will include a high flow cat and flex pipe. Stainless is no problem to get done and cheap too.

CTE could do it titanium but it wouldn’t be cost effective.
Interesting, so you are doing a cat? How not cost effective? 😆 I get what you're saying. It is probably reasonable to do this, midpipe with cat in SS, then Akra but then I would be titanium-SS-titanium, something about that feels wrong, LOL.

Reactions: FLORO

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that's the killer feature here. I love the Ti sound.

Interesting, so you are doing a cat? How not cost effective? 😆 I get what you're saying. It is probably reasonable to do this, midpipe with cat in SS, then Akra but then I would be titanium-SS-titanium, something about that feels wrong, LOL.
There are no titanium cats or suitable flex pipes to buy. The flex pipe and cat make up most of that mid section so.. stainless.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
There are no titanium cats or suitable flex pipes to buy. The flex pipe and cat make up most of that mid section so.. stainless.
Fair enough. I’ve seen titanium flex pipes but never a titanium cat.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fair enough. I’ve seen titanium flex pipes but never a titanium cat.
I’ve seen corrugated type but not flex pipes as we know them. I doubt they would handle constant movement and vibration for long bearing in mind Titanium’s Achilles heal... fatigue.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok, having looked at a suppliers website, “bellows” type Ti flex pipes are legit. The Ti mid section is back on. I will ask for pricing on it with a high flow cat.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Ok, having looked at a suppliers website, “bellows” type Ti flex pipes are legit. The Ti mid section is back on. I will ask for pricing on it with a high flow cat.
Ugh, @FLORO this is starting to feel like it’s going to get expensive for me 😂😂

1 - 20 of 70 Posts