Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to US retail sales numbers December thru February there was a total of 211 reported 4C sales.

·
Registered
908 Posts
According to US retail sales numbers December thru February there was a total of 211 reported 4C sales.
Sorry but a problem i have with English, does this number includ Dec and to end of Feb? Thx for the intel... The dealers i am in touch with say the LEs are "all gone"... Fortunately the car industry is honest but is nice to have actual numbers. If i remember the Nov sales were sub 20 that would make it about half the famous 500 have been sold. Of course this is to customers sales thats being reported if i am correct. Note to Canadians: your purchases are hidden in the rounding. Still looks like a buyers market to this buyer... At least until the snow stops back east and the saps start to run...

·
Registered
753 Posts
The numbers make sense to me. "December" was essentially the last week. Figures sound plausible.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
February Sales Figure Is In: 47 Sold in USA

This post reminded me to check for the February sales figures. Here they are:

USA
24 in November
67 in December
97 in January
47 in February
--------------------
235 Total

Canada
6 in January
4 in February
------------------
10 Total

The source of this information is here (Thanks to disco volante): http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/09/alfa-romeo-4c-sales-figures-usa-canada.html

The previous thread that turned to this is here: http://4c-forums.com/11-purchasing-orders/9482-268-ebay-bin-msrp-3.html#post198082

That's a surprising number. I thought it would be higher frankly.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Very interesting. So where are the other 250? I wonder if they are even built yet. And we are looking at 3-4 months until the spyder arrives? And then throw in the SEs. Im guessing (just a guess) that there wont be all 250 coming.

·
Super Moderator
13,299 Posts
Very interesting. So where are the other 250? I wonder if they are even built yet. And we are looking at 3-4 months until the spyder arrives? And then throw in the SEs. Im guessing (just a guess) that there wont be all 250 coming.
:idea: There's a surprise. :idea:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't know if the LIST is up to date, but you're showing 68 unsold in dealer inventory.

FYI, a red unit is in transit to Larchmont, according to their site.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Too many red LE cars and Alfa's "take every option and a pay extra for a little serialized plaque" does not appeal to people looking for a driver's car. Serialized cars work when production numbers are low and for cars that fit the mental image collectors have about the cars they like to collect (V8 or more). The 8c checked both those boxes and the 4c does not. The 4C is like a lotus and people don't collect those. They'll be selling LEs into 2016 (particularly when the spider comes out this summer).

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I don't know if the LIST is up to date, but you're showing 68 unsold in dealer inventory.

FYI, a red unit is in transit to Larchmont, according to their site.

Since cars are showing up regularly for sale at MSRP on the Forum the last few weeks, I haven't been updating Cars for Sale tab on The List very often. When I see a car that has the LE# and the VIN I try to include them, since if a new owner shows up on the Forum with the car I'll have more complete information, but I haven't searched every dealer's website again for example.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Too many red LE cars and Alfa's "take every option and a pay extra for a little serialized plaque" does not appeal to people looking for a driver's car. Serialized cars work when production numbers are low and for cars that fit the mental image collectors have about the cars they like to collect (V8 or more). The 8c checked both those boxes and the 4c does not. The 4C is like a lotus and people don't collect those. They'll be selling LEs into 2016 (particularly when the spider comes out this summer).

I disagree. At this take rate, they'll be gone. Especially when it stops f%$^&&))^& snowing.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
They'll be selling LEs into 2016 (particularly when the spider comes out this summer).
Could be, I don't have a crystal ball. But the Spider won't be out until close to the end of the year, probably about the same as the LE, just a year later, and we have pretty good sourcing on that information. I've heard it from a couple of dealers and also from my customer service fellow at AR USA, and they know I want to exchange an LE for a Spider, so they pay attention.
It seems obvious there's going to be significant price bump for the Spider as well, so I suspect the SE could see a price bump as well, and it may show up at a price not far from what these LEs are going for. And with most of the "options" not really optional, the Spider is likely to be closer to $80K MSRP, and we've heard that from AR USA reps and from looking at the Euro pricing. We're waiting for Spider pricing to be announced of course, and it will probably be a few more months I imagine, if not 6 more months perhaps, but we'll have to wait and see. But the LE's won't be around all year, except for a few that will be marked up really high by a few dealers who don't mind keeping them around to drive traffic. If anyone ever gets an SE for the lowest starting MSRP of $53,900 I'll fall over. I'll be surprised if one ever sells for below $60K frankly, and perhaps even higher ($64K floor maybe?).
I decided to take the LE now rather than wait for the Spider for all of these reasons and more. Who knows what will happen over the next year? But if the Spider I want becomes available, and the prices haven't zoomed up too much, I'll get one. But a year is a long time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, so far, the Alfa US website is holding to original pricing. Of course, if the SEs come in fully optioned, you've basically got an LE without a number on it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, so far, the Alfa US website is holding to original pricing. Of course, if the SEs come in fully optioned, you've basically got an LE without a number on it.

I'm certain you are speaking of the MSRP of the base model. Some of the options have become more expensive but the real increase in price is not visible on the website... it can be found in the dealer order info that is posted on one of the threads, which makes combos of options a necessity along with such things as a required upgrade in the wheel option (sad for me, I love the 'standard' wheels and hate the telephone dial bullshit)...that aside, you have to buy the 'racing exhaust' which is simply a 500. price increase because they are deleting the muffler (which saves them money), you have to buy that stupid traffic ticket holder between the seats with the Cracker Jack prize key for 250. and you have to buy the Louisiana whore house drapery material car cover for 400. The cheapest you can therefore buy one of the cars is with the lowest upgrade (and the ugliest in my humble opinion) of wheel (the painted standard wheel for 700.), order it in black (the only color without an upcharge) and the smallest option group and you're at almost 61k. So if you want some other color, etc you are now within spitting distance of an LE which changed me from being a moderately optioned SE buyer to a definite LE buyer. Maybe that's why they did this to squeeze some the buyers back to the LEs as they were starting to leak out to SEs. But given the management team involved, I'm not certain you can attribute anything that smacks of brains or planning to that grab bag. The only cars with 'investment potential' will be the numbered cars, so that's a comfort for those making the leap early into a LE. So I'm hunting about for a nearby LE in CR at MSRP. Probably will buy one in the next week or two although I don't really want one until Oct. (the end of my lease on my XF) The right number would be a definite enticement as well... #400 , or 415 for example or any of the 4*4 combos, or 499 or 500 or... you get the idea...Fear not, when I garage on of these lovelies, I will crow plenty about it. As for now, I sit in the weeds, check book at the ready and wait for the right one to come along...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
By the time the SE comes out
Assuming there will be a price increase, like what happened in Europe
And knowing that you can't get an SE at MSRP because you're forced to buy certain options.
I would not be surprised of the final SE price is very close to the LE pice
That's why I never understood people who said they'll wait
You wait one year, get a standard version as opposed to a limited edition
For roughly the same price

I know sales aren't great because every dealer I had ever contacted when I was in the market is emailing me saying they "just got one in"
Which means they have a car, but they don't have a buyer
My guess is it's the fact that a lot of dealerless were asking 10-20k above sticker
This car is a great deal at msrp
Add 20k$ and its no longer a great deal
And you're in the price range of some much higher caliber cars
And people who pay this kind of money want the prestige of say a porsche
And unfortunately, in the U.S. market at least, alfa doesn't have the same weight as porsche etc
I hope they don't go crazy with the pricing of the spider, or those cars will be sitting on dealer lots for a long time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And unfortunately, in the U.S. market at least, alfa doesn't have the same weight as porsche etc
I thought it was because the 4c doesn't have the same weight as Porsche that we liked them...

No but seriously, folks - does anyone have Fiat's actual sales plan for the 4c? I mean, there still seems to be some discussion about whether they will produce 3500 cars per year, or in total. It will be difficult to evaluate the sales success of the 4c without knowing Fiat's plan.

From what I can see, part of the 4c sales plan seems to involve the usual niche product strategy of creating artificial scarcity, to drive up demand. I bought my 4c earlier this month; the one I saw at the dealer was gone before I could secure all the paperwork, but two more arrived within four days. I bought one, and the other was sold as well. That was 3 cars sold in a week at Fiat of Los Angeles. They claim to be the leading sales dealer for the 4c, but they indicated their sales were in the high single digits, so make of that what you will.

I think you guys might be on to something with the SE having more or less standardized options, a sales tactic which would be enhanced by artificial scarcity.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
My dealer in Santa Monica has received eight and sold seven including mine. Most sold for 3 digits in just a few days. I bought the first one for 2 digits with my dealer telling me they had a list of buyers, "over 100". I'll bet good money I'm the only one on the "list" that bought a 4C.

The cars are rare and will continue to be scarce. I've only seen one 4C in the wild. That was just last week. Sure I've seen the cars, demo or owned, at car events, but not driving down the road. Here in Los Angeles where we are all car people and one of the largest cities in the world, one would expect to see a few. In all seriousness, I see more Ferrari Dino's than Alfa 4C's.

My dealer has a Madrepearl White 4C and want 125 because they think it's a rare color. Any color is rare at this point.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I bought my 4c earlier this month; the one I saw at the dealer was gone before I could secure all the paperwork, but two more arrived within four days. I bought one, and the other was sold as well.
Congrats on getting a 4C. I'm assuming you live in the greater LA area. Maybe our paths will cross.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Agree 100%:nerd:

1 - 20 of 198 Posts