Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who mount their factory tow hook, when you have it nicely snugged up is the loop horizontal or slightly off?

Mine is a few degrees past horizontal.

More than just idle curiosity, and it's not like I care from a functional or appearance perspective. I have an idea that might be of interest to some track 4C users, but want to get an idea of variation I'd be dealing with, first.

I suspect with the addition of some Teflon tape, one could adjust it to snug up horizontally anyway.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like this
wow - that's radically different from mine. Was thinking they'd all be a few degrees off horizontal, but for anyone with this much angle my idea won't work.

I am tired of disassembling my front license plate holder and replacing it with the hook every time I get to the track, and reversing that whenever I leave for fuel or lunch or to go home.

I thought that I could make a simple bracket to go over (and spacer to fill the hole of) the OEM hook, and one bolt would be all it would take to remove or re-install the plate.

Right now, I have to un-screw the license plate from the backer, use an Allen key to remove the plate and angling hardware from the bolt, then a wrench to loosen the bolt from the front of the car (yes, mine touches the mesh as well). Then put all this back together loosely so nothing gets lost.

When I go for gas, I usually put the plate in the front window, but I've had differing opinions as to how legal that is. Don't want the fine for not having it displayed, so I always re-connect it before leaving for home (which is a pain in the dark or in the rain!).

I had this brilliantly simple plate bracket designed, but it would rely on the hook loop being oriented flat when tight.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had this brilliantly simple plate bracket designed, but it would rely on the hook loop being oriented flat when tight.
I think we might be on the same frequency!
I never got a chance to delve into this yet...one option I was considering is getting one of the tow hooks (that the tow hook flaps down towards the ground when not in use) and put a bracket around the shaft portion which will facilitate the License Plate backplate. This way the Tow hook will always be mounted permanently and i could just remove from it, the collar and attached LP backplate (which could also have a GoPro mount snuck in as well lol).
Maybe something GMS could fabricate with all the spare time he has :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahahaaaaaa.....just saw this ghetto one....but WORKS :LOL:

View attachment 109885
:D
You might be a redneck when....
:ROFLMAO:

Not enough duct tape for my liking, though.

I think we might be on the same frequency!
I never got a chance to delve into this yet...one option I was considering is getting one of the tow hooks (that the tow hook flaps down towards the ground when not in use) and put a bracket around the shaft portion which will facilitate the License Plate backplate. This way the Tow hook will always be mounted permanently and i could just remove from it, the collar and attached LP backplate (which could also have a GoPro mount snuck in as well lol).
Maybe something GMS could fabricate with all the spare time he has :LOL:

I was going to cut a hockey puck down enough to fit into the loop, and have some sheet metal cut for a backer / bracket that will have wings that bend out from above and below the loop.
Drill those wings and puck for a single vertical bolt, with washers and a nut.
So just undo the nut, pull the bolt, and the bracket (with plate still bolted on) slides off. Lift the puck out and you are ready to track.
That's the simplified version of my plan.

Waiting for cost of the bracket, but will let you know.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
Well you can avoid the whole issue....just move to Michigan. We don't require or even have available front plates ;-) I suspect that is because Michigan people are all car nuts...and car nuts hate how a front plate ruins the view of a car.
I was born in California and they require front plates. I didn't run one until the year before I retired (2003) when I finally got a ticket. That was when I decided to move to Michigan ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well you can avoid the whole issue....just move to Michigan. We don't require or even have available front plates ;-) I suspect that is because Michigan people are all car nuts...and car nuts hate how a front plate ruins the view of a car.
I was born in California and they require front plates. I didn't run one until the year before I retired (2003) when I finally got a ticket. That was when I decided to move to Michigan ;)

haha I dont run a front plate in california and havent been ticketed for that yet, the tow hook i just leave it on for track days

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,318 Posts
I guess if you drive fast enough the cops won't see the front plate....or lack of 😁

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess if you drive fast enough the cops won't see the front plate....or lack of 😁
Nope, they'll be too busy looking at their radar, and ticket book, to notice the front plate! :D

Just not 100% sure that this one is the best answer. Good try, though! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those who mount their factory tow hook, when you have it nicely snugged up is the loop horizontal or slightly off?

Mine is a few degrees past horizontal.

More than just idle curiosity, and it's not like I care from a functional or appearance perspective. I have an idea that might be of interest to some track 4C users, but want to get an idea of variation I'd be dealing with, first.

I suspect with the addition of some Teflon tape, one could adjust it to snug up horizontally anyway.

Thanks!
I ended up purchasing a color matched tow hook from Raceseng. I love the quality and the nice touch it adds to the car. I also live in a front plate requiring state. No tickets so far!😍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts