Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After mounting all my nice gear and making a provisional set-up with measuring tape I had my first track day for the year a few weeks ago. I wasn't very happy but didn't want to complain too much as there where a number of issues. One of them that KW hadn't got the measures right and I had lost negative camber, the other that I didn't really trust my measuring.

My two problems was that I had a really hard time getting the power down and that the car was twitchy at high speeds. The former I attributed to the lack of proper camber, the latter to my settings not being what they should have been.

A proper alignment later it actually showed I had got the toe-settings spot on. (I was as surprised as anyone!)

Because of this I choose to try another set-up that I plagiarised from one of my Elise Racing friends. (Front toe 0.5 mm total out, rear 3 mm total in.) (Remember I have the AlfaWorkshop rear suspension arms with no passive rear wheel steering.)

With some Dremel work I also got the rear camber back to what I had been running before.

50% luck, the car was very stable at speed but still very chuckable in the corners, very consistent and predictable in esses and over crests, places that has been tricky before.

But I still can't get any power down. I smoke tires like an old Camaro and I spun twice in the slowest hairpin.

And I can't see any other explanation than the Toyos, what do you other people say/think?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've never liked the 888's...much prefer the RA-1 which they say is a similar compound but not in my experience. I'm assuming you had the tires up to temp, but yeah that is my experience on my Lotus as well using those tires. I wish the RA-1's were made in my wheel size, or even the BFG R1.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I've only used R888's, not R888R. I also preferred the RA1s to the R888s, but found that they did get better with wear - and were pretty useless until they were scrubbed in.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two complete track days and 1.500 km's of going to race tracks... Should cover scrubbing in?

Youtube:
https://youtu.be/csaJvabxVDs

With Trofeo R it's completely different, you just squeeze and off you go... Fronts were not bad though, great turning in and feel etc.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am using the 888r and I have got loads of grip even with the power hike, what sort of temps are you getting in the tyre?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using the 888r and I have got loads of grip even with the power hike, what sort of temps are you getting in the tyre?
I didn't have access to any pyrometer or similar but today, unlike last time, I got proper temps, you see the surface of the tyre getting that texture it gets with temps.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Trofeo R is just the best Trackday Tyre you can actually buy... Chris Harris made a comparison on two cars against the Cup 2. The Trofeo was 2s faster than the Michelin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLQpAt5Mes
I agree. The thing is that I was hoping to find a more durable and cheaper alternative that would be ok. To get MOST of the performance at a better price point with better wear characteristics. But as it is I I'm quite sure even the ARR has better traction than the R888R.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cup 2
215/45 R17 190.-
235/40 R18 228.-
836.- SFr.

TrofeoR
205/45ZR17 303.-
235/40ZR18 324.-
1254.-SFr.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The spec BMW racing class I race in switched from the RA-1 to the 888 a couple of years ago and, while speeds have picked up, I think the 888's are quite a bit squirmier than the shaved RA-1's...but our race cars are 2700 pounds, which is quite a bit heavier than the Alfa.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cup 2
215/45 R17 190.-
235/40 R18 228.-
836.- SFr.

TrofeoR
205/45ZR17 303.-
235/40ZR18 324.-
1254.-SFr.
You went up in dimension only at the front? I went 10 mm wider front and rear. Maybe good, maybe not. I thought it made sense at the time of ordering...

·
Registered
422 Posts
You went up in dimension only at the front? I went 10 mm wider front and rear. Maybe good, maybe not. I thought it made sense at the time of ordering...

yes just on the Front 10mm up,
it was very good drivable

with the Advan Racing RSII , the 205/45 are not possible
perhaps next time on the rear 245

1 - 20 of 44 Posts