Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The more I think about this the more I think you need to get rid of the rear roll bar
We were speaking of going softer on the damper settings but of course ditching the roll bar is another option. I'll try the tyres I know first but I get your thought.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
a.m. pop the roll bar links off cable tie them to the bar and cable tie that up out the way and try a couple of roundabouta you will soon know

·
Registered
450 Posts
We were speaking of going softer on the damper settings but of course ditching the roll bar is another option. I'll try the tyres I know first but I get your thought.
I have not experienced the 888s on the 4c (I am still looking for a decent track setup). You are using a higher tire pressure with the r888rs, right?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have not experienced the 888s on the 4c (I am still looking for a decent track setup). You are using a higher tire pressure with the r888rs, right?
No, I ran standard pressures. First stint the pressures went up before I released air pressures so in a way I have "tried", but it didn't work any better then.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My experience was R888s always liked higher pressures than other R compound tires. What were your cold/hot pressures? For the R888 Toyo recommends 23 to 27 cold for the 4C's weight. I can't find specific data on the R888R however.

Maybe Jamie can post the pressures he runs.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My experience was R888s always liked higher pressures than other R compound tires. What were your cold/hot pressures? For the R888 Toyo recommends 23 to 27 cold for the 4C's weight. I can't find specific data on the R888R however.

Maybe Jamie can post the pressures he runs.
Then I was running high(ish), 26 and 29 respectively, front and rear.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I wish I had an easy answer. This just reinforces to me that I hate springs, shocks, tires, tire performance, tire wear, and tire pressure, but it's awesome when all those planets align.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Reading your notes here I'd suspect something in the suspension rather than tires. Beyond the aforementioned rear roll bar possibility, I'm curious what's going on in the front with rebound/compression and spring rates?

Both the new R888r's and the Trofeo R's, their differences aside are in the upper levels of grip and I don't see going to the R888r's making that big a difference in compounds/grip that you'd get excessive wheelspin. Even when running higher tire pressure in the back.

Since you do have the 215/245 toyos and the 205/235 pirellis at your disposal, looking forward to hearing your back-to-back (or at least weekend to weekend) feedback on them. If it solves the issue that will be interesting. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Since you do have the 215/245 toyos and the 205/235 pirellis at your disposal, looking forward to hearing your back-to-back (or at least weekend to weekend) feedback on them. If it solves the issue that will be interesting. Good luck!
The tyre sets are some 873 km's apart...

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Bettys+väg,+218+53+Klagshamn/Nürburgring,+Nürburgring+Boulevard+1,+53520+Nürburg,+Tyskland/@52.9171283,5.3441361,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x4653a7579b5bb3bb:0xc1bb6500d4a17106!2m2!1d12.9335755!2d55.5224667!1m5!1m1!1s0x47bfad369010c559:0x80dbc21b73ca589a!2m2!1d6.9426625!2d50.3340981

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There might be an explanation where I can point the finger at no one else than myself.

When we mounted the suspension kit I didn't find any assembly instructions, it wasn't until we were packing up that I looked under the packing material and found the instructions as well as the recommended settings. As the car felt quite as I expected I assumed they were delivered ready to use.

Well, assume nothing. I should know that.

All settings but one were as recommended. One wasn't. The recommended settings for the rear were Compression: 5 and rebound: 6. The actual settings were 5 and 8.

Hopefully this solves the tricky behaviour. As it was quite late I haven't driven the car since finding the issue.

Thanks to everyone that has spent time and suggested solutions.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One aspect I have forgotten to mention is how well the car rides curbs with the Novitec Competizione coilovers compared with on the standard "race" suspension. I have always been a bit uncomfortable using the curbs aggressively in the 4C but since changing the suspension it's not really an issue any more. The car is simply not unsettled by them like it was before. It goes so easy I simply haven't thought about it until now.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts