Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I was driving spiritedly last night and noticed the tpms error light blinking...thinking that tire pressure was off I checked and they all were within a lb of each other.. when i checked the dash it said Tyre Monitoring System Stopped. Couple questions, is the system looking for a specific tire pressure pound-wise? I noticed all tires were approximately 30 lbs and since max tire pressure is 50, I raised the pressure to 40 lbs all the way around. 2nd question, has anyone run into this specific error and how did you correct it?

thanks

-Mohan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have a phone charger in your power socket? Some cause issues with the tire monitoring, notably the Scosche.

There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers side door panel. Always set your tires to the pressure listed.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
As enziof said, set the correct pressures. 40 is very excessive. Personally I like the balance of 26/28 or 27/29, rather than a 3psi difference.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I've never experienced that, but others have.

The correct pressure is 26 front / 29 rear COLD. Hot, you can expect about +4 pounds.

I run one pound over because TPMS is rather sensitive. AR has released a service bulletin for the TPMS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will check and correct the pressures today, thanks for the info... that makes sense in a way, when I checked, they all showed 30 lbs so i assume the fronts probably set it off..

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Tire pressure system unavailable?
I've had that on and off since I first got the car
That message is permanently on now
And I've given up on getting it fixed
I've already taken 3 times to the dealer
They reset the system, and it works great for a few days
Then it comes back
Let me know if it ever gets fixed
It has nothing to do with your tire pressure
It's the main system telling you it can't communicate with the 4 wheel sensors

·
Registered
869 Posts
My TPMS stopped working when I put my track ADVAN RS2 wheels on my 4C over 4000 miles ago

I have taken it to 2 dealers to have the aftermarket TPMS reprogrammed with no success.

Yesterday, while driving on the highway, I did not believe my eyes when the TPMS light went out.

I guess it has something to do with the Alfa experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had the same experience. The computer has been replaced twice. The system has been failed for about 3 months. Last week it started working again. How long it will operate is anyone's best guess. Good news it is not an essential system.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,185 Posts
I remember reading that if it is triggered due to a low pressure reading it won't reset once pressure is corrected for a few miles. It evidently is only going to come on for low pressure...supposedly it won't trigger for to high pressure. I have never been a fan of these anyway...expensive and delicate device and once the battery goes dead in the sensor it is expensive (labor) to replace. Guess these are for the typical driver that only worries about the tire pressure when they have a flat tire....another government mandated nanny to make up for inept owners.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I remember reading that if it is triggered due to a low pressure reading it won't reset once pressure is corrected for a few miles. It evidently is only going to come on for low pressure...supposedly it won't trigger for to high pressure. I have never been a fan of these anyway...expensive and delicate device and once the battery goes dead in the sensor it is expensive (labor) to replace. Guess these are for the typical driver that only worries about the tire pressure when they have a flat tire....another government mandated nanny to make up for inept owners.
And just how many newer cars have we all seen, driving around on obviously very low - almost flat - tire(s) and the driver seems oblivious of the idiot light. Oh, by the way, ever wonder why it's called, "Idiot Light"?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
My TPMS stopped working when I put my track ADVAN RS2 wheels on my 4C over 4000 miles ago

I have taken it to 2 dealers to have the aftermarket TPMS reprogrammed with no success.

Yesterday, while driving on the highway, I did not believe my eyes when the TPMS light went out.

I guess it has something to do with the Alfa experience.

Are you saying that you put in the factory sensors in your Advan wheels and they don't work?

I had a similar thing happened with my Advan wheels. But I had put aftermarket sensors in that is why I think I could not get them to work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Are you saying that you put in the factory sensors in your Advan wheels and they don't work?

I had a similar thing happened with my Advan wheels. But I had put aftermarket sensors in that is why I think I could not get them to work.

Tom I have put aftermarket TPMS sensors on my Advan RS2 wheels. The service tech programmed these 3 times without them working after a few miles. I did not remove the OEM TPMS from the original 5-hole wheels.

What is amazing to me is that the aftermarket TPMS put on the Advan wheels purchased April 2016 work now after not working for thousands of miles. GO figure.? The only thing done differently by the last tech is he told me he programmed the TPMS numbers individually into the computer program MOPAR uses.:exclamation:

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Tom I have put aftermarket TPMS sensors on my Advan RS2 wheels. The service tech programmed these 3 times without them working after a few miles. I did not remove the OEM TPMS from the original 5-hole wheels.

What is amazing to me is that the aftermarket TPMS put on the Advan wheels purchased April 2016 work now after not working for thousands of miles. GO figure.? The only thing done differently by the last tech is he told me he programmed the TPMS numbers individually into the computer program MOPAR uses.:exclamation:

I have almost the exact same situation.
I bought Advan wheels and aftermarket sensors from Matt at Alfa9. He said they have worked for other people before. But for me they only worked sporadically. I tried getting them re-set at the dealer same thing they would work for a while then stop and come back then stop.

Now they don't work at all. Although every once in a while I get some weird error messages saying the tire sensor system is not working so that means there is some type of communication trying to go on.

Matt agreed to take the sensors back and he sold me factory ones. But i'm waiting until the tires are worn off and I switch them before I put factory sensors in the Advan wheels.

Once I do that I'll put up a post letting people know if I the Advan wheels work with factory sensors. I suspect they will.

And I would recommend everyone else to buy factory sensors rather than aftermarket ones even though they cost more. Unless you want to risk and take the hassle of trying to make them work.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've had that problem for ages
the dealer had "fixed" it
but it came back a few days ago
I have given up on fixing it
I went back to checking the tires myself
it is a communication issue
because I have had a low pressure warning when one of the tires was low
and it didn't say unavailable
it said something about low pressure in the front left wheel

this is what I get

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I've had that problem for ages
the dealer had "fixed" it
but it came back a few days ago
I have given up on fixing it
I went back to checking the tires myself
it is a communication issue
because I have had a low pressure warning when one of the tires was low
and it didn't say unavailable
it said something about low pressure in the front left wheel

this is what I get

Orange tire image on the right, That error message says your system is not communicating. Could be bad battery in one of the sensors or the system is just not communicating.

The orange tire image on the left you'll have on all the time if you have a tire that is low or if your sensors are not working or if you put on a set of track wheels that don't have sensors in the wheels at all.

My opinion is the system is flawed and not completely reliable. My stock tires with stock sensors were on and I did not get a warning and yet I had a tire almost completely out of air. I felt the car handle funny and then looked at the tire put air in it. If I would've put all my trust into that system and kept driving I would've ruined the tire.

You have to always feel the car and trust your instincts and carry a tire pressure gauge. Just like in the days before the sensors came around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got that error message today, the first day with freezing temperature.
Could it be a battery issue, as the capacity of batteries decreases with falling temperature?

Would ONE defect battery affect the whole system?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Got that error message today, the first day with freezing temperature.
Could it be a battery issue, as the capacity of batteries decreases with falling temperature?

Would ONE defect battery affect the whole system?
Yes.

Check all the tire pressures. I run them one pound above the recommended pressures. It's a very sensitive system and half a pound low will set it off. Then, I have to drive around the block before it clears itself. Seriously, that's not an excuse to drive my car.

There is a TSB that includes the TPM system. Check with your dealer to see if you have it yet or not. You should make sure that all you TSBs are up to date.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
wow
I finally figured out a fix!
I have always had the pressures set to what it says on the door jamb
26 psi front, 29 rear
I have had that tire pressure system unavailable error for ages
took it to 2 dealers, 4 vists, neither one was able to fix it
they reset the system, which makes the error go away, but it always came back

the other day, for shits and giggles, I adjusted all 4 tires to 40 psi
damn uncomfortable but I thought I would give it a try
the next day when I first started up the car
I did not get the blinking TPMS error!
I dropped the pressure to 30 front, 32 rear
and the light is still off
so I think RacerZ is correct
the door jamb might say 26/29. but the ecu is set to a different pressure
ecu needs more than 26/29, not sure yet how much
will try lowering them to 28/31 and see

the weird thing is , I have gotten once that the right front tire was low on the dash, and it was marked in red
so what causes the system to sometimes say one tire is low?
and other times to just say system unavailable for all the tires??

I do know the TPMS system on the alfa sucks
never seen a TPMS system where you could not reset the pressures yourself
every car I have owned, you could adjust the pressures to your liking, then click reset
and that becomes your new baseline
on the alfa that baseline is set at the dealer, and you have no way of knowing what it is, or resting it

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
wow
I finally figured out a fix!
I have always had the pressures set to what it says on the door jamb
26 psi front, 29 rear
I have had that tire pressure system unavailable error for ages
took it to 2 dealers, 4 vists, neither one was able to fix it
they reset the system, which makes the error go away, but it always came back

the other day, for shits and giggles, I adjusted all 4 tires to 40 psi
damn uncomfortable but I thought I would give it a try
the next day when I first started up the car
I did not get the blinking TPMS error!
I dropped the pressure to 30 front, 32 rear
and the light is still off
so I think RacerZ is correct
the door jamb might say 26/29. but the ecu is set to a different pressure
ecu needs more than 26/29, not sure yet how much
will try lowering them to 28/31 and see

the weird thing is , I have gotten once that the right front tire was low on the dash, and it was marked in red
so what causes the system to sometimes say one tire is low?
and other times to just say system unavailable for all the tires??

I do know the TPMS system on the alfa sucks
never seen a TPMS system where you could not reset the pressures yourself
every car I have owned, you could adjust the pressures to your liking, then click reset
and that becomes your new baseline
on the alfa that baseline is set at the dealer, and you have no way of knowing what it is, or resting it
Yes. It seems to be a rather crappy system. "Crappy" is a highly technical word by the way. The Fiat 500 system shows me each tire pressure to the nearest tenth of a pound. Not just 'pass or fail'. Wouldn't being twice the recommended pressure be in the failure category?

Another thing to think about is your tire pressure gauge. It may not be calibrated the same as the AR system. Who's to say that our 4Cs are registering the correct calibration?

You can buy two gauges that are identical, and both will read different numbers. If we know the test subject has 30 pounds (verified), our two gauges might show 29 and 31.

Our 4C could be following this example. The tire has 26 pounds. The car sees 25 pounds. Our gauge shows 27 pounds. So, we drop one pound thinking we've done a good thing and now the car sees 24 pounds and sets off an alarm.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts