Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Not really 4C stuff, but we have some Canadians here that might get a kick out of this. Or they might get kicked, not sure:

Yeah, not far from me. That track is also known as “Thunderdome”.
There is usually one marshall (when there is any), and he’s busy starting cars (flag at pit exit, as it is hard to see cars coming from the angle and curve there).

This is a low cost track close to Toronto. It gets a lot of “fast and furious” wannabes, who don’t get that there are still rules on track. I only go there for private events run by people like our Mister_2, which are really good.

The fire was just a mod gone wrong (meth injection failure).

So sad. Makes our sport look bad.

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Yeah, the whole thing was mucho disappointing. I didn't click the link but I've seen first person video on facebook from one of the cars involved.
Passing zones are clear on that track and this was not one of them.
Track management refuses to run in experience-related groups, so it is a free-for-all, and testosterone gets the better of these kids.
I don't know what the white car was doing going so deep in what are really high-speed esses, but he still had the right of way and if the driver of the blue car that hit him was looking anywhere past the end of his own dick he'd have seen the problem and slowed down, cost him some lap time, and passed on the next straight (a lap of this track is 1:30 or less with those cars, so the next passing zone was literally seconds away). This happened in open lapping, not competition.

Then, to get into an altercation in the pits, when the tracks only just opened up and are supposed to be subject to strict social distancing is not cool. Risks the facility being shut down entirely.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. At least nobody got hurt. Especially not in the "fight", LOL.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is this what they mean when they tell me to 'take it to the track' if I want to have fun driving in the mountains? Not sure I would feel safe there.

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Is this what they mean when they tell me to 'take it to the track' if I want to have fun driving in the mountains? Not sure I would feel safe there.
LOL, except not.
I agree.
I don't feel safe there, and don't go to their open lapping events.
Private events at this track are perfectly fine if run with strict rules, and sufficient marshals to enforce them.

My local track is s 2 hour drive away from the one in question, but in a whole different galaxy in terms of safety measures.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is a great track as long you go during a well run private event and not the open lapping run by the track itself. I almost had my 4C written off there a few years ago so I've never done open lapping there again.

It's a shame really. It's a great facility with tons of potential but the owner doesn't seem to want to listen to reason and make the changes necessary to accomplish that. :(

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is a great track as long you go during a well run private event and not the open lapping run by the track itself. I almost had my 4C written off there a few years ago so I've never done open lapping there again.

It's a shame really. It's a great facility with tons of potential but the owner doesn't seem to want to listen to reason and make the changes necessary to accomplish that. :(
AGREE! Although I'm much more to the (balanced) right, lol, than most of my fellow Canucks, it truly is a question of Supply and Demand....and unfortunately, the market supply of this Demand Side is high and comprised occasionally of the SAME IDIOTS who drive idiotically home on the highways thereafter. It has been years since I've been on that track. Furthermore, I only (driver) participated with the UCR (Porsche Upper Canada Club) events where the rules (at least at the time) were very STRICT. Everyone on the track had a heavy investment in their vehicle and there was mutual RESPECT. Even then, mishaps happened. Ironically, on the way back home I was surprised that I was 'scared' driving, given the idiocy of driver habits on the 401 highway! It made me realize that these "Properly Controlled" events could actually be safer than the public roadways!
As an aside Mister_2, I think you and I (with my daughter as passenger) may have met on my maiden 4C voyage a few years back as I was going to my cousins restaurant in Guelph...not sure.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This article is a huge reason why I have not tracked my 4C.

Funniest comment, [To me] in this article was the following.
TheDrive said:
To cap things off, a C7 Corvette Z06 can be seen going up in flames in the paddock probably not as a result of any sort of bad track behavior but likely just a Z06 doing Z06 things.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
130 Posts
AGREE! Although I'm much more to the (balanced) right, lol, than most of my fellow Canucks, it truly is a question of Supply and Demand....and unfortunately, the market supply of this Demand Side is high and comprised occasionally of the SAME IDIOTS who drive idiotically home on the highways thereafter. It has been years since I've been on that track. Furthermore, I only (driver) participated with the UCR (Porsche Upper Canada Club) events where the rules (at least at the time) were very STRICT. Everyone on the track had a heavy investment in their vehicle and there was mutual RESPECT. Even then, mishaps happened. Ironically, on the way back home I was surprised that I was 'scared' driving, given the idiocy of driver habits on the 401 highway! It made me realize that these "Properly Controlled" events could actually be safer than the public roadways!
As an aside Mister_2, I think you and I (with my daughter as passenger) may have met on my maiden 4C voyage a few years back as I was going to my cousins restaurant in Guelph...not sure.
Cheers!
Totally agree! I'm always more afraid on public roads than on the track. Assuming I'm at a well run track event.

And yes I remember meeting you in downtown Guelph that one night!

·
Registered
315 Posts
This article is a huge reason why I have not tracked my 4C.
Don't let jokers like that keep you from experiencing your 4C at a track. That is NOT representative of the majority of track days run around the world.

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
Don't let jokers like that keep you from experiencing your 4C at a track. That is NOT representative of the majority of track days run around the world.
Not even like the track days run around here (at other tracks, and by private groups at the track in question).
Were lots of positive reviews for an event run this past weekend at this un-named venue (Toronto Motorsport Park in Cayuga Ontario :) )

I'm signed up for a last minute event tomorrow afternoon at my local. But there might not be enough participants to run it (they will run with as little as 10 cars, but I was # 7).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not even like the track days run around here (at other tracks, and by private groups at the track in question).
Were lots of positive reviews for an event run this past weekend at this un-named venue (Toronto Motorsport Park in Cayuga Ontario :) )

I'm signed up for a last minute event tomorrow afternoon at my local. But there might not be enough participants to run it (they will run with as little as 10 cars, but I was # 7).
I wish I could join you guys tomorrow 😓

I'm still hoping for my car back and tires to come in before Saturday so I can run OTA. 😳

1 - 16 of 16 Posts