Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I need help choosing trackday tyres.
I have zero experience, this is my first trackday and I don't know if I should use a new set of Pirelli P0's or if there is something better.
Any help is more than welcome

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
How old and in what condition are your current P-Zero's?
They are a fine tire to start your tracking experience with - quite vocal and forgiving.
They are not the fastest tire in the rack, but they have lots to teach you.

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
Hi guys
I have zero experience, this is my first trackday and I don't know if I should use a new set of Pirelli P0's or if there is something better.

Thanks
I have a set of Hankook R-S4s. They were relatively cheap, good grip and good wear characteristics. They are a bit crude for everyday use. Quite noisy as they wear. I had to fronts shaved a few mm to be more in line with the standard stance of the car. 215/45x17 (no 205/45 available) give the car a slight nose-up attitude which isn’t great for handling at 200km/h. They’re near the legal minimum tread depth I will not be using them in the wet. She’ll (my 4C) likely behave like a skim-board with them .

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks
Are these to be your ONLY set of tires for the car? Assuming yes, then how much track vs daily driving are you planning on doing with the car?
Track day tires are not typically great for street driving. If you track the car more (you will probably want to, after your first taste), then it would be a good idea to buy a second set of wheels with dedicated track day tires. By that time, you will also likely be upgrading your brake pads, as the stock ones will show their weaknesses before the Pirellis do on track.

If your P-Zeros are not showing signs of wear, and are not >5 years old, and have good tread left, then I would consider them suitable for your first track experience. Check with the event organizer to be sure of what they might require. Some are picky about tire age or tread depth. The events that I run, frankly, couldn't give a sh!t - they figure it is up to you to save your own butt!

If you need to replace the P-Zeros before the track day due to age or tread or condition, and if they need to do daily duties as well as track time, I would suggest Michelin PS4S or Continental Extreme Contact Sport as good alternatives. Firestone Indy 500 perhaps also. If you can find these in suitable sizes. They will be equally fine for a few track days. You won't compromise your street safety or comfort, and if you do go on to get a dedicated track day wheel set then you will not regret these tire choices for your daily.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
The idea at a track day is to LEARN....not set lap records. Until you have lots of seat tie you won't be able to take advantage of a better tire or know how to use that tire to go faster. Learn with what you have..as long as it is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
As @RKBerta said, you are there to learn. Super sticky tires will hide mistakes/errors/bad habits, which is why most of our HPDE (High Performance Driver EDUCATION) programs forbid super sticky tires in the lower levels. Many of the fellow 4C owners complain about how "bad" the PZero tires are on track. For a beginner (even advanced beginner) the PZero tires are JUST FINE! I ran them for several years on track. They talk LOUDLY before they truely loose grip so you have advanced notice. They allow you to get use to the car moving around and they will help teach you how to properly react to any upset.

You first need to learn the following items to be safe on track
1) "Proper" race line
2) Spatial awareness (where everyone is with respect to you, and understanding where their car will go if they make a mistake so you can avoid them)
3) Learning to feel what the car is doing, and how to react to it.
4) Learn how to keep thinking when you go over the limit.
5) Proper brake and gas peddle application. It isn't a digital control (ie. not ON/OFF)

Learning those items will help it be "fun" and "safer" for you on track. No where is the fastest laptimes listed. You will quickly learn that the driver is the biggest factor in lap time. I can easily keep up with (and often pass) a GT3 RS with an average/beginner driver with my stock ECU 4C....

·
Super Moderator
9,037 Posts
As @RKBerta said, you are there to learn. Super sticky tires will hide mistakes/errors/bad habits, which is why most of our HPDE (High Performance Driver EDUCATION) programs forbid super sticky tires in the lower levels. Many of the fellow 4C owners complain about how "bad" the PZero tires are on track. For a beginner (even advanced beginner) the PZero tires are JUST FINE! I ran them for several years on track. They talk LOUDLY before they truely loose grip so you have advanced notice. They allow you to get use to the car moving around and they will help teach you how to properly react to any upset.

You first need to learn the following items to be safe on track
1) "Proper" race line
2) Spatial awareness (where everyone is with respect to you, and understanding where their car will go if they make a mistake so you can avoid them)
3) Learning to feel what the car is doing, and how to react to it.
4) Learn how to keep thinking when you go over the limit.
5) Proper brake and gas peddle application. It isn't a digital control (ie. not ON/OFF)

Learning those items will help it be "fun" and "safer" for you on track. No where is the fastest laptimes listed. You will quickly learn that the driver is the biggest factor in lap time. I can easily keep up with (and often pass) a GT3 RS with an average/beginner driver with my stock ECU 4C....
Three cheers for your support of the P-Zero. I thought I was the only one on the internet who liked their characteristics. They work well when warmed up and give you plenty of warning before they give up. I enjoy their playfulness on the road....but in our summer heat on track they can overheat quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm using the YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08RS.
These are perfect for trackdays and also general use.
My first set pf PZero did last one trackday they overheat very easy on a fast track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts