Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had a "transmission fault" happen twice so far, and the car has always been in Dynamic + Manual when it occurred. 38k miles on a 2015 LE with an Alfaworks Race ECU and supposedly the previous owner did the transmission flash.

Still trying to figure out how to consistently reproduce the fault. :unsure:
Hello dhuang,
We certainly understand your frustrations with your transmission concern. Please feel free to let us know via private message if you decide to address this with your dealer and we will gladly assist you during that process.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello rndmichaels,
We certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Please help me with this, the Alfa dealership says transmission is broken and needs replaced for 8,000$ saying 1,3,5 clutch packs are done. I had car in back in April for strong smell coming from car after I drove it. They said that it was normal but I had never experienced this before it was also jumping out of dynamic mode frequently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Please help me with this, the Alfa dealership says transmission is broken and needs replaced for 8,000$ saying 1,3,5 clutch packs are done. I had car in back in April for strong smell coming from car after I drove it. They said that it was normal but I had never experienced this before it was also jumping out of dynamic mode frequently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have same problem but my 4C 1, 3 ,5 my years 4C 2015 , your?

Inviato dal mio vivo NEX S utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes 2015 The dealership is telling me the transmission is no good and I need a new one which will cost $8000 since my warranty just ran out in August. Even though I had it in a couple of times For a strong smell coming from the engine compartment and the car kept jumping out of dynamic mode. The service tech said that these were all normal things so I left and my transmission went out couple months later and Alfa care is saying that they will not help me with it at all since the tech said these are normal

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
These transmissions don’t just pack it in. How many miles has your 4C done? New clutch at 80,000 miles would be normal wear. The clutch replacement comes in pairs, so if you only need one, bad luck. (All of us are in the same boat.) I’d be getting an independent opinion with evidence of codes thrown. It sounds like they are trying one on you. I’d be very sceptical. Have they drained the gearbox oil and you’ve seen the debris in the oil for them to come to the conclusion of an entire transmission replacement? Feeling your anxiety.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
These transmissions don’t just pack it in. How many miles has your 4C done? New clutch at 80,000 miles would be normal wear. The clutch replacement comes in pairs, so if you only need one, bad luck. I’d be getting an independent opinion with evidence of codes thrown. It sounds like they are trying one on you. I’d be very sceptical. Have they drained the gearbox oil and you’ve seen the debris in the oil for them to come to the conclusion of an entire transmission replacement. Feeling your anxiety.
These transmissions don’t just pack it in. How many miles has your 4C done? New clutch at 80,000 miles would be normal wear. The clutch replacement comes in pairs, so if you only need one, bad luck. (All of us are in the same boat.) I’d be getting an independent opinion with evidence of codes thrown. It sounds like they are trying one on you. I’d be very sceptical. Have they drained the gearbox oil and you’ve seen the debris in the oil for them to come to the conclusion of an entire transmission replacement? Feeling your anxiety.
No I have not seen any of this. I am Going to take the old transmission and have it looked at by another party when this is all said and done because I have no other options AlphaCare won’t help me and these cars are so rare around this area I know this dealership is not qualified and that’s why I’m going to have to pay $8000. The car has 28,000 miles on it. I just replace the original P0 tires at 22,000 the car has been driven with care.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Was your car under warranty when you started having these issues? Dude lawyer up. Also, where do you live? I would suggest driving to another dealership to get a second opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
G
No I have not seen any of this. I am Going to take the old transmission and have it looked at by another party when this is all said and done because I have no other options AlphaCare won’t help me and these cars are so rare around this area I know this dealership is not qualified and that’s why I’m going to have to pay $8000. The car has 28,000 miles on it. I just replace the original P0 tires at 22,000 the car has been driven with care.
Giving a call out to anyone in the Des Moines area whom they can recommend to rndmichaels to have a look at this...I wouldn’t be spending $8,000USD just yet. Man, that’s around 14,000 Aussie Pesos! 28,000 miles, even of careful 4C driving, isn’t much and these transmissions are solid.

·
Registered
433 Posts
G

Giving a call out to anyone in the Des Moines area whom they can recommend to rndmichaels to have a look at this...I wouldn’t be spending $8,000USD just yet. Man, that’s around 14,000 Aussie Pesos!
I agree. I would take my car to 2 or 3 other dealerships before paying 8K. This tranny is from the Dodge Dart. You can find one for 500$ on Ebay. Dude screw that, don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Mhhhh

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Was your car under warranty when you started having these issues? Dude lawyer up. Also, where do you live? I would suggest driving to another dealership to get a second opinion.
Warranty ran out in August. But I had it in before that for strong burning oil smell and it was jumping out of dynamic mode. Dealership says that they could not find anything wrong and that these smells are normal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello rndmichaels,
We certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares
Just seeing this post from Alfa makes me smile! Thank you for your help and support of these great little cars!

·
Registered
63 Posts
From recent posts, it’s seems like Alfa Romeo Cares don’t do anything to help us out.
That has been my experience. They do not seem to have any power except to help schedule appoinments or communicate with dealership service departments. Once a dealership closes a warranty case, it is closed, and they will not reevaluate it. Therefore, the value of your warranty is up to the whims of a particular dealership. Pick the wrong dealership or go there on the wrong day and it determines the fate of your car, as Alfa Romeo Cares will not do anything to correct their actions.

In my case, they seem to be betting that this timing belt will last a few more months until my warranty ends. I will have to get it replaced at my own cost early, due to a defect in a tensioner. They want me to risk my car's engine and my own safety (if the engine fails due to this tainted timing belt) for their gamble.

I am now telling everyone to only buy these cars out of warranty or be OK pretending the factory warranty does not exist, and have an independent mechanic already in line for all the work (or do all the work yourself). The existence of the (limited) Alfa Romeo dealership network, at least in the US, and the factory warranty is just false hope and potentially dangerous to your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am taking the car to have another opinion at a Alfa dealership 3hours from me next Wednesday. Rococop305 you are right about the dealerships. When I first dropped my car off to them it was on a Sunday night I filled out the paperwork and put my key in their dropbox. That night it snowed I got a call at 6:30 AM from the service manager asking me why my car was parked in his driveway I told him it was Not shifting properly. He replied angrily that now he has a disabled alpha in his driveway that he’s now trying to plow snow from and that I should know that these cars are not supposed to sit outside in the snow I said I know they’re not that’s why you’re going to pull it inside he responded to me I don’t have time for that it can just sit outside for a week until I get to it. That’s one of the reasons why I’m taking it for another opinion I feel like the guy would do anything to make me pay because I complain to his manager and threaten to complain to the owner. They have it all disassembled and I’m making them put it all back together.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts