Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
That is what I have been wondering all along. Since there isn’t many of these around I’m wondering about the Alpha techs abilities to diagnose and work on these vehicles. This will make a second brand new transmission in this car and this car only has 28,000 miles on it. I read all the time how these transmissions are rocksolid.
I would be very suspicious on this as well, you may be also correct that Alpha Techs are analyzing the issue instead of ALFA Techs :unsure::p
Sincerely though, I truly hope you get this resolved asap.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
That is what I have been wondering all along. Since there isn’t many of these around I’m wondering about the Alpha techs abilities to diagnose and work on these vehicles. This will make a second brand new transmission in this car and this car only has 28,000 miles on it. I read all the time how these transmissions are rocksolid.
I find it hard to believe you’ll have a third transmission in your car in 28,000 miles. I just had a TCM recalibration carried out as part of a recent service. Obviously a factory suggestion. I’ve had no problems at all in 4yrs, over 25,000km including a few track days. If it were mine I, being the cynic I am, would be starting to wonder how much money is the dealership making from Alfa (FCA) from doing this work? It seems implausible that two transmissions would fail in such a short time/distance. Have they gone the recalibration route with the TCM?
Edit: After initially questioning the need for the reflash, on last Saturdays’ drive I noticed improved smoothness and fewer clunks...in fact none.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I find it hard to believe you’ll have a third transmission in your car in 28,000 miles. I just had a TCM recalibration carried out as part of a recent service. Obviously a factory suggestion. I’ve had no problems at all in 4yrs, over 25,000km including a few track days. If it were mine I, being the cynic I am, would be starting to wonder how much money is the dealership making from Alfa (FCA) from doing this work? It seems implausible that two transmissions would fail in such a short time/distance. Have they gone the recalibration route with the TCM?
Edit: After initially questioning the need for the reflash, on last Saturdays’ drive I noticed improved smoothness and fewer clunks...in fact none.
Agree, and ALFA CARES should be reviewing this in my humble opinion. As indicated in my previous post where I cited my c32 issue, the dealership/s improper diagnostics in those particular instances, cost MB much more than needed be. The final proverbial straw was when the last dealership (one who after replacing the Supercharger etc) had the car back in and called to tell me it was going to cost me close to $500 labour as their STAR Diagnostic system had -finally- detected the issue with the .....water pump.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth...I have been plugging in my trickle charger after every outing and keeping the battery fully charged. I have had zero issues with missed or premature shifts since doing this. Last year I did experience some transmission miscues and did not always have the car plugged in. Maybe a coincidence? Funny...when neighbors walk by and the garage door is open they see the cord and ask if the car is an electric.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Update on my transmission issue. about four months ago I had the transmission replaced in my 2015. Have not been able to drive it since then due to weather in my area headed out couple of weeks ago put around 4 to 500 miles on it over a couple weekends and the brand new transmission broke down again. They are telling me that it was an internal issue from when it was assembled. Luckily there are four transmissions here in USA so I am able to at least get a replacement
WTF. This is wrong.

·
Registered
681 Posts
For what it's worth...I have been plugging in my trickle charger after every outing and keeping the battery fully charged. I have had zero issues with missed or premature shifts since doing this. Last year I did experience some transmission miscues and did not always have the car plugged in. Maybe a coincidence? Funny...when neighbors walk by and the garage door is open they see the cord and ask if the car is an electric.
Agree, the issues I had with my Carrera's PDK was related to the battery. Once replaced, the issues never came back. These modern DTC transmissions are heavily dependent on a constant voltage level.

·
Registered
191 Posts
These modern DTC transmissions are heavily dependent on a constant voltage level.
Also known as poor electronic design.

One of the things we know for sure, is that battery voltage is far from constant, even with a mint condition battery. So if transmission electronics need a stable power supply, it would cost them 5$ to design for a 5sec complete voltage loss. Not slightly impressed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had hesitated from posting before. However, now that the car is long gone, I can add some additional insight. I personally went through 3 transmissions, as well as the water pump noise problem and a whole host of other frankly silly problems. However, as far as the transmissions, the first one started with a 1st to 2nd gear clutch engagement chatter at take-off when idling at a stop or similar situation in stop and go traffic. AR identified it as a clutch throw-out bearing problem and sent the dealer a new box, because they didn't want the dealer to crack the old one open and replace internals (i.e. clutch, bearing parts). That lasted roughly 15k miles. Then, I had the driver side upper motor mount come loose where 2 of three bolts on top either sheared off or came out. Yes, I was driving around with literally only one bolt on the driver side holding the engine in place! So, in it went. I thought, tap and drill the sheared bolt out, install 3 new ones, torque and I'm back in business. Nope, AR said, new box, because the part that the bolt goes into is structural and was likely compromised by being held in by only one bolt (i.e. that one bolt hole was probably over-stressed). Again, great, new box. Hey, it's your dime AR. I get the car back, happy as can be, on my way home, I get a mechanical noise and get the "you lost gears 1, 3, and 5" message on the dash along with the christmas light show. I make it home, 2 hours later car is back at the dealer compliments of my super-duper level AAA account. Sure enough, AR believes it was a "faulty new box". So, I wait a few more weeks, new box in, all good at that point. I sold the car about a month or two later.

My point is, I drive my car a lot (36k+ in 3.75 years). So, part of the problem is many of you don't. So, drivers just haven't come across a lot of these problems (yet!). I can tell you, I've had every single problem chronicled here on the forum at some point (and I mean every single one). Some were silly, some were not, but ultimately, it soured what was otherwise an incredible ownership experience. I will always tell everyone until the day I die, the 4C was one of the most visceral car driving experiences I've ever had and I've had some pretty raw sports cars (think Lotus). However, you have to have an excruciatingly high pain tolerance when it comes to reliability. I think this thread is shaking a few of these scenarios out.

I'll leave you with this, my advice is if you have time and miles on your warranty, and plan on making it a "life keeper", drive the crap out of it to ensure you work through these weak points asap under warranty! I'm not saying abuse it, I'm saying drive it like it was meant to be driven, canyons, backroads, hell daily it for 6 months if needed. The stuff will shake out. Otherwise, start saving a buck or two extra, because the car will fail at some point. Also, If we had access to manufacture data, you would be able to confirm how many failures have actually happened. Unfortunately, I can only leave you with the following anecdotal data. Every time mine was in for work (all work, not just the 3 transmission rounds), there was another 4c in for guess what, a transmission replacement!

I am having mine replaced (whole hydraulic shifter part) for about $5k (parts and labor). My car just went out of warranty... Full transmission was about $7.5k (but if i wanted to keep the trany, it was an additional core charge of $2k).
Update on my transmission issue. about four months ago I had the transmission replaced in my 2015. Have not been able to drive it since then due to weather in my area headed out couple of weeks ago put around 4 to 500 miles on it over a couple weekends and the brand new transmission broke down again. They are telling me that it was an internal issue from when it was assembled. Luckily there are four transmissions here in USA so I am able to at least get a replacement

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll leave you with this, my advice is if you have time and miles on your warranty, and plan on making it a "life keeper", drive the crap out of it to ensure you work through these weak points asap under warranty!
I agree completely, but unfortunately things go even more wrong when the wrong hands start messing with the car.

(Un)Luckily no more warranty on my 2015 LE -- Only threw transmission faults ("clutch wear") when I had my AW Race ECU.

45k miles, with 7k put on in the last 3 months. More miles = more smiles! :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree completely, but unfortunately things go even more wrong when the wrong hands start messing with the car.

(Un)Luckily no more warranty on my 2015 LE -- Only threw transmission faults ("clutch wear") when I had my AW Race ECU.

45k miles, with 7k put on in the last 3 months. More miles = more smiles! :p
Awesome, and I remember the smiles for sure. With just under 4 years of ownership, it was definitely a car that I will remember and drive mentally until the end.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
If Alfa just decided to replace the thrust bearing in the first place and the techs tightened the engine mounts then you’d have still been on the original box. I wonder how many of your issues were due to poor installation work?

I had hesitated from posting before. However, now that the car is long gone, I can add some additional insight. I personally went through 3 transmissions, as well as the water pump noise problem and a whole host of other frankly silly problems. However, as far as the transmissions, the first one started with a 1st to 2nd gear clutch engagement chatter at take-off when idling at a stop or similar situation in stop and go traffic. AR identified it as a clutch throw-out bearing problem and sent the dealer a new box, because they didn't want the dealer to crack the old one open and replace internals (i.e. clutch, bearing parts). That lasted roughly 15k miles. Then, I had the driver side upper motor mount come loose where 2 of three bolts on top either sheared off or came out. Yes, I was driving around with literally only one bolt on the driver side holding the engine in place! So, in it went. I thought, tap and drill the sheared bolt out, install 3 new ones, torque and I'm back in business. Nope, AR said, new box, because the part that the bolt goes into is structural and was likely compromised by being held in by only one bolt (i.e. that one bolt hole was probably over-stressed). Again, great, new box. Hey, it's your dime AR. I get the car back, happy as can be, on my way home, I get a mechanical noise and get the "you lost gears 1, 3, and 5" message on the dash along with the christmas light show. I make it home, 2 hours later car is back at the dealer compliments of my super-duper level AAA account. Sure enough, AR believes it was a "faulty new box". So, I wait a few more weeks, new box in, all good at that point. I sold the car about a month or two later.

My point is, I drive my car a lot (36k+ in 3.75 years). So, part of the problem is many of you don't. So, drivers just haven't come across a lot of these problems (yet!). I can tell you, I've had every single problem chronicled here on the forum at some point (and I mean every single one). Some were silly, some were not, but ultimately, it soured what was otherwise an incredible ownership experience. I will always tell everyone until the day I die, the 4C was one of the most visceral car driving experiences I've ever had and I've had some pretty raw sports cars (think Lotus). However, you have to have an excruciatingly high pain tolerance when it comes to reliability. I think this thread is shaking a few of these scenarios out.

I'll leave you with this, my advice is if you have time and miles on your warranty, and plan on making it a "life keeper", drive the crap out of it to ensure you work through these weak points asap under warranty! I'm not saying abuse it, I'm saying drive it like it was meant to be driven, canyons, backroads, hell daily it for 6 months if needed. The stuff will shake out. Otherwise, start saving a buck or two extra, because the car will fail at some point. Also, If we had access to manufacture data, you would be able to confirm how many failures have actually happened. Unfortunately, I can only leave you with the following anecdotal data. Every time mine was in for work (all work, not just the 3 transmission rounds), there was another 4c in for guess what, a transmission replacement!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got an extended warranty for this exact same reason. The weak point of this car is the transmission.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You and I are on the same wavelength. I just didn't want to go there. With that said, part of the reason I chose to move on is that as an owner, you ultimately can't separate the two when you buy all your cars new like I do. I buy them new to ensure "warranty work" is ultimately the savior for any bad apple or two that gets through QC. I came to the conclusion that there are probably more than a "couple" of bad apples, and in some cases even "badder" techs. Obviously, we all have different thresholds. Mine was breached.

If Alfa just decided to replace the thrust bearing in the first place and the techs tightened the engine mounts then you’d have been still on the original box. I wonder how many of your issues were due to poor installation work?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You will always get a bad apple among any car, but having the right guys working on these cars is paramount. There is a guy in Canberra Australia with a LE for sale with 100000km and has been I believe very reliable. I have the Scara stage 3 tune 320hp 460Nm and have done over 6000km.All good so far, and let me tell you the torque difference is huge.So I hope I haven't jinxed myself but respect it with good warm ups and don't 6k launch it, believe me I can't get myself to do it, yet I don't drive Miss Daisy..🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
You will always get a bad apple among any car, but having the right guys working on these cars is paramount. There is a guy in Canberra Australia with a LE for sale with 100000km and has been I believe very reliable. I have the Scara stage 3 tune 320hp 460Nm and have done over 6000km.All good so far, and let me tell you the torque difference is huge.So I hope I haven't jinxed myself but respect it with good warm ups and don't 6k launch it, believe me I can't get myself to do it, yet I don't drive Miss Daisy..🤣🤣
And that’s the truth!:D (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alfa1105, what mods do you have for the Scara stage 3 tune? I have the Alfaworks stage 1 and I'm not happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,925 Posts
Alfa1105, what mods do you have for the Scara stage 3 tune? I have the Alfaworks stage 1 and I'm not happy with it.
Do a search. He’s posted the mods he’s made to his car previously. Tap on the three vertical dots to the right of your avatar at the top right-hand corner of your screen, then tap on ‘Advanced Search’.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took out the 4C again today for a 90 minute run and tried all DNA and Race modes. Not a single issue, shifted perfectly. Seems plugging it in after every use seems to make a difference...at least for me.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts