Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many here, I bought the Joying unit to replace the Alpine. I used the supplied keys to remove the Alpine, and for some reason, the unit only come out half way and jams, with something seemingly locked on the left side. I tried pulling (as hard as I was willing to risk), pushing from behind, and nothing. It doesn’t feel like it’s cables, more like something is still locking the “chassis” to the metal frame. Any ideas?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just have to poke your head under the dash to see. Mine had a large rectangular piece of foam, presumably to quiet potential wire rattles, that was holding up the removal. There was also a few wires that were wire tied up I think. The car is SO loud, wires rattling will be the least of your concerns. Good luck.

Reactions: Yesyesyouwill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just have to poke your head under the dash to see. Mine had a large rectangular piece of foam, presumably to quiet potential wire rattles, that was holding up the removal. There was also a few wires that were wire tied up I think. The car is SO loud, wires rattling will be the least of your concerns. Good luck.
I’ll give it another try. I am definitely not as limber as I thought I was, getting under there takes some cirque de soleil level contorting, lol.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Also, there’s a chance that during the HU install, the installer bent the metal bracket anchors to lock in the deck. Its a cheap security feature to minimize the smash and pull.

I dont know of the Joying came with a metal cage mounting bracket. You can see on that cut out areas that you can bend. When trying to pull the alpine unit, it maybe caught on a bent metal cut out.

Reactions: Yesyesyouwill

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had some wires with zip ties I had to cut when I removed mine, it's a short harness as it is. Best suggestion is above, do the yoga exercise to look up and behind the radio and you'll see what the issue is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, there’s a chance that during the HU install, the installer bent the metal bracket anchors to lock in the deck. Its a cheap security feature to minimize the smash and pull.

I dont know of the Joying came with a metal cage mounting bracket. You can see on that cut out areas that you can bend. When trying to pull the alpine unit, it maybe caught on a bent metal cut out.
I’ll see if I can feel for a bend. Someone also suggested using something long and thin like a hacksaw blade to feel for any bends in the mounting brackets. I’m just really scared I might damage my new baby, lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks y’all! I was able to get the Alpine out, but... it looks like the wiring harness that came with my joying isn’t a plug and play replacement for the Alpine. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those that installed the joying where did you place the Mic and GPS?
I just stuck the GPS module to the metal frame behind the stereo. I didn’t hook up the mic yet. Apparently these new units have a built in mic on the screen, though I haven’t tried it yet. I will tomorrow and let you know how it works. If it’s a dud, I plan on doing what others have and run it below the dash and up the passenger side A-pillar to the area by the rear view mirror where the other ten mics inexplicably reside.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Regarding my Pioneer HU, i mounted the GPS square antenna brick right in the middle on the ledge on the dash in between the defroster vents. Looks completely stock.

The mic I clipped right next to the dome light bezel to avoid wind noise.
For the traffic antenna, i installed that under the headliner at the windshield edge on the passenger side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, tried it out today and the so called “built in mic” doesn’t seem to exist. Will install the included mic when I get home. In other news, I bought a bunch of different stickers to cover up the Joying logo. Out of all the ones I got, I like this one the best. Great size, really good quality. Bought it from a seller in China off of eBay. Will be happy to share the link if anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looks good, which Joying unit is that? Looks like it might be the 7"? Did you buy it directly from Joying?

I'd be interested in the link for the sticker, thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good, which Joying unit is that? Looks like it might be the 7"? Did you buy it directly from Joying?

I'd be interested in the link for the sticker, thanks.
It’s the 8.8 version. I bought it on Amazon, they had a decent discount on Prime Day and I wanted to get is quickly and be able to return it if needed.

Anyway, here are the stickers I considered for the logo coverup:

The Alfa one looks kind of cheepy in real life, I ordered that one from some guy in Holland (~$4). The Italian flags all came together and were $7.90 shipped from China. Both actually arrived today, about two weeks from purchase. All are the perfect size to cover the Joying logo, so it boils down to preference really. Links below:

Flags:

Alfa logo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts