Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all,

I installed Athena spacers and found that the front (16mm) ones set the wheels a bit too far out for my taste. I ordered some 12mm replacements from Reparto Corse, but when I went to remove the Athena ones, they seem jammed on!

I Searched the forums for advice on this topic, but didn’t find anything. I’ve had them on the car for two months or so, and it’s always parked indoors, so I don’t think they’ve rusted on. I tried spraying the whole thing with WD40, but no dice. I read somewhere that heating them with a small blowtorch to allow the metal to expand does the trick, but I’m a little apprehensive of that route. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heating them slightly sounds like the route to go - obviously keep the flame away from the calipers and brake lines and heat only around the centre area of the hub, as that’s the only place it can be sticking..
I recently did 25mm spacers on the rear and in my personal opinion the fronts don’t need spacers - the standard front offset suits the car - and I’m a ‘stance’ kind of guy..

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
Take the wheel off.
Unbolt the spacer from the hub.
Bolt the wheel back onto the spacer.
You now have more leverage to loosen the spacer and pull it off.
Treat it like a steel rim seized onto the hub - you may have to beat on the tire a bit.
Once off, un-bolt the spacer from the wheel.
Redneck, but works without damaging anything. I’ve used this method many times on other cars without fail.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the wheel off.
Unbolt the spacer from the hub.
Bolt the wheel back onto the spacer.
You now have more leverage to loosen the spacer and pull it off.
Treat it like a steel rim seized onto the hub - you may have to beat on the tire a bit.
Once off, un-bolt the spacer from the wheel.
Redneck, but works without damaging anything. I’ve used this method many times on other cars without fail.
Unfortunately the front ones are the elongated pilot type. There is no thread in the spacer itself. Great idea for the back ones though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unfortunately the front ones are the elongated pilot type. There is no thread in the spacer itself. Great idea for the back ones though.
First of all, buy some PB Blaster and spray it on the spacer. Then let it sit overnight. Then, use a torch but be careful because if you stay too long on one spot, it can wrap the spacer. Now, you can also use a heat gun. Try to get a flat screwdriver/crowbar between the spacer and the rotor then start hammering.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, buy some PB Blaster and spray it on the spacer. Then let it sit overnight. Then, use a torch but be careful because if you stay too long on one spot, it can wrap the spacer. Now, you can also use a heat gun. Try to get a flat screwdriver/crowbar between the spacer and the rotor then start hammering.
I’m going to try the heat gun route. Might take a bit longer than a torch, but I feel better about not working with a flame. Sorry if I sound dumb, but what is PB Blaster?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can use a knife (cutter blade) between the spacer and the hub. Knock it lightly with a hammer. It should pop out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Some complex methods. Flat head, towel and hit it with a hammer around the edges. Then as suggested use anti-seize!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since CRC Freeze Off was highly recommended to me by a trusted mechanic a few years back, it and a hard rubber mallet has been my go-to first weapon of choice on such things before trying more aggressive measures.

Won’t solve everything of course, but its success rate has been well over 50% in my experience. Sold in just about any US auto parts store, $8 approx. Good luck!

FB1A87F3-AD9A-4F56-A82D-7880343123C5.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts