Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had an interest in performance cars, sports cars, muscle cars, hot rods, old antique autos, race cars, motorcycles. But no real interest in what is very popular right now, pick-up trucks, SUV s, and vans. It is not that I do not like them, (I have, or have had, each of these types of vehicles at one time or another) but for me they are just another appliance, like a refrigerator or dishwasher. I have no passion or special interest in them. Some people get really enthusiastic with these big, tall over sized pick-up trucks. What is there appeal ? I just do not get it ! I could understand if you were doing some off roading, but how many actually do that?

I was wondering if many on this forum have any interest in these types of vehicles, other than as just a useful tool ? And if so, what is it about them that you like? To each their own, I suppose !

We know that they are very popular here in North America. But I am curious to know if they are as prevalent in Australia, Asia, Europe or in the Middle East, as they are here in North America ? Opp's, do not want to leave out South America.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Tools for a specific job... That goes for trucks, minivans, or sports cars... I have a truck to haul my car, but i LOVE driving the beast. I have driven all types of trucks over the years, but this new Ram 1500 is far more comfortable than my wife's Lexus RX, quieter than all of my other cars, and has a great interior. I purchased it to sit, while I kill the minivan with mileage (hate the car, but need it for kids & in-laws). However, the minivan is now parked except when needed.... My thinking over the years has changed on cars. I use to desire the Acura, Lexus, BMW, MB, and others for my "one car". However, I have come to the conclusion, that I'm going cheap with my daily car. I personally enjoyed a Elantra GT (i30N to the EU people), as it is peppy enough, and cheap enough. Then I can spend the $ on the play car.

Reactions: 4Canada and 4C ALFA

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
272 Posts
Ex-"One Car" owner here, loved my 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler, it was 1955 made today, rock-reliable through 88,000+ miles of off roading at speed, tourist hits (one red light runner smashed into my rear axle dead on, I drifted a bit (fun!) and drove home without even a scratch after being denied an alignment because it was perfect, but the red light runner's engine did pirouettes into a Lexus behind me, sheared their trunk clean off... Runner somehow miracle survived in a wheelchair), my learning to do "customs" via cutting stuff, bolting stuff, spray painting, AND STILL SOLD FOR $20K (Bought new at ~$23k), took off and sold off the "extras" it accumulated as well. Sorry for all caps but, Best car ownership I might ever know.
Even if it were a Schumacher-driven Ferrari, a sports car couldn't do all that: driving it over 75k+ miles without a care in the world, parking wherever you want (bad hoods, knolls when lot full, next to weirdo road ragers so they can't open their door, etc), cutting it up, bolting aftermarket parts, and STILL continues to serve up near-cost value and as-new reliability (I miss the little go devil, actually).
Still, there's a reason i sold it after buying the 4c... It's all about needs, isn't it, and I don't need the utility/be everyone's off road taxi/spend $40+ every 300 miles at the pumps. I do need passion, aura, mature presence, economy, and hardiness/safety. And a mid-engine, carbon fiber tub chassis, apparently.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I need one to be able to own the other. My high roof Ford van is my business vehicle enabling me to make the money to buy and run the 4C . The van is logically more important than my car but in my heart the 4C is always THE vehicle of importance to me and my well being.

I still treat the van with kid gloves though with seat covers and a private reg number, it has BE57 PVC (as in BEST PVC), ………..no I'm not into pvc gimp suits but sell plastic double glazing!

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
I'm a truck guy and always have been, until I got into sports cars late in life. Learned to drive in a Camaro, but most of the intervening years I've driven trucks and SUV's.

First off, Because: Canada. I have a daily rural commute across snow-drifted roads that can make a lot of AWD cars nervous. A higher platform and proper 4x4 are more capable and safer in these conditions. That's a couple of weeks to a month a year, if you add up all the days together. But I also own a hobby farm, so it's a "tool" for bringing in everything from feed to fence posts.
Although I haven't trailered a horse in over a decade, I need that capability as well.
Even taking the garbage to the road involves a 1/4 mile excursion.

I have a 2017 Nissan Titan - Platinum Reserve edition (I spoiled myself - it was a demonstrator so I got a good deal). I really like the interior of that truck and it is capable as a hauler.

My favorite truck was the one before that - 2004 Chev Avalanche 4x4. That could literally do anything - easy to park, could move 5 people comfortably or drop the center divider and make an 8' cargo bed. If they still made them, or if I could have found a good used example, I'd have bought that instead of the Nissan. But GM trucks are stupid expensive anymore compared to what's out there.

Suburban Assault Vehicles (my term for SUV's) are the new minivan. They have a purpose, but I haven't figured out what that is yet. I guess you get passenger and cargo space, with some towing capability, a higher ride height and AWD (some even 4x4). But when most vehicles have only one occupant, they seem like a terrific waste of space and gas.

I'll take the other tack from DrP on the minivan, though.
At work, I manage a fleet of over 110 cars as well as light and heavy trucks. I have everything from Yaris and Corolla to a Freightliner and a couple of Macks, and brands Mercedes to Hyundai. My absolute favorites are the Dodge Grand Caravans. They can seat 7, do 24 MPG despite a peppy 6-cylinder, sit high enough that you can see all around you, have enough glass that blind spots are not a problem, and they cost less than CDN$25,000 brand new. They drive decently and are FWD making them not terrible in snow. We use them for construction site people-movers for 100,000Km, then move them over to the maintenance fleet, pull the seats out (which is a one-person job, no tools required), and drive them for another 300,000 to 400,000Km. Newer (2016+) models have a transmission weakness, but for the most part all I replace is tires and brakes until they finally rust to death. I still have a 2006 on the road. FCA has just stopped making these, so I picked up another 7 of them this week, for a total of 11 so far this year. Granted, they are uninspring to look at (but better than a 4-cylinder econobox to drive), but I honestly count this as among the best cars ever made. It's Detroit's "VW Beetle" moment. Not trading my 4C for one, but when you consider that you could buy a whole train of them for the cost of an LE new in 2015, you get a lot for the money.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I’ve owned ~50 sports cars and small light sports cars have always been my “main“ car. Then alongside those I tend to have one of the rally-inspired sedans or hatches. I also have a bit of an Italian motorcycle collection. I‘ve never owned a truck, but I have owned and loved two two-door Wrangler Rubicons. I’ve also owned a couple larger SUVs as tow vehicles for my RallyCross cars, and while I don’t love them and connect with them like the sports cars, bikes, or even the Wranglers, I like them enough. I currently have an LR4 in that role and it is an incredibly good vehicle. I wouldn’t call it a commodity tool, but it’s not special to me like the others.

DrPyro nailed it on the head though - tools for a specific job. People are often surprised to find that I love minivans. I don’t own one because I don’t have a family, but they are just as engineered to a purpose as any sports car - it’s just that that purpose is hauling families and all of their crap with ease. I could see how people would love their trucks, whether a basic workhorse or a big bad Raptor or the like.

Regarding the trend towards SUVs, to the point where cars are being dropped by many manufacturers, I don’t see this as a new thing. I see it as a return to the designs from the original cars. After the Model T, the cars from the 30’s and 40’s when the car first became a common item for most people looked a lot like the roomier more upright CUVs we now see the market moving to. The same benefits for the average person who only needs transportation apply now as before.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
@JWA - The modern trend toward big, fat SUVs is rather annoying. I understand the desire for sitting up taller, but most have less room for people and stuff than a modern coupe or hatchback. I could haul more stuff in my old Subaru Outback than my wife' s SUVs

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ahhhh... Beautiful @Sir5n! Love Canada in the Summer :)ROFLMAO:just not so much in the winter)

Reactions: 4Canada and Sir5n

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
Ahhhh... Beautiful @Sir5n! Love Canada in the Summer :)ROFLMAO:just not so much in the winter)
He snapped that picture in the perfect moment - the 20 minutes of calm between the snow melting and the arrival of mosquito season! :)

It is actually quite beautiful up here right now. Everything is so lush and green. My favourite time of year! Great photo Sir5N.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts