Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
...I was hoping you could hang from the rear bumper capturing some audio...whilst screaming up the Putty, Jim

Looks like I’ll need to buy or arrange a Go Pro and attach...to get some real world Audio whilst in motion.

I picked the car up today later afternoon and drove home in Rush Hour and with Targa Top on...and my remote/fob slipped out my hand down between the seat & centre console (rookie error) in the first few minutes of my drive...so didn’t have a chance to ‘explore’ the sounds on my first run with it fitted and was driving in ‘Natural’.

Feedback/Posts as soon as I get a decent ‘burn’ to form some opinions to share.

Audio/Video Clip at idle demonstrating noticeable uplift in decibels with Valve “always” Open vs “always” Closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now at 6 and a half, please. 🤣 🙏 Can’t wait to hear it in action.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice Ant! I also have this exhaust coming my way and have a couple question for you:

• The exhaust valve system comes with a module and connectors, where do you actually connect them to activate the valve?
  • Where did you mount the module?
Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice Ant! I also have this exhaust coming my way and have a couple question for you:

• The exhaust valve system comes with a module and connectors, where do you actually connect them to activate the valve?
  • Where did you mount the module?
Thanks
Hope to hear your impressions, too! Enjoy .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Hope to hear your impressions, too! Enjoy .

We’ve had crook weather here over the past 5 days with more wet weather to come so it might be a while before more video will be posted....Just letting you eager ones know what the hold-up may be due to.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jim is spot on. Some topsy turvy weather over the past week in Sydney has meant the little beast has been snug in the garage since I collected the car from fitting the Tubi, so unfortunately can’t offer any driving impressions just yet.

I can however share a couple of cut-away photos illustrating where the Tubi Excu (Exhaust Controller Unit) has been mounted.

I sent these Pics to TUBI (via the official Australian distributor) to seek validation of the orientation and positioning of the Excu, and they promptly came back saying this was “perfect”.

In essence...and to debunk some myths (including some self murkiness), the TUBI Excu is the sole ‘governor’ when it comes to controlling the operating room of the Electric Valve which is embedded in the larger centre pipe.

The Excu thus connects directly to the TUBI Valve actuator (located on the Muffler unit) to direct the Exhaust Valve Opening & Closing ....as aligned to the driver selected modes (via the Tubi Remote Fob) , and which changes the Exhaust characteristics on demand.

The TUBI Excu THUS does not connect to the OE ECU or TCU and acts independently of any of the Alfa DNA driving modes.

The Excu has a built-in antennae, gyroscope and accelerometer (as well Bluetooth) which enables the Excu to assess the level and duration of ‘spirited driving’ as well as deceleration, which determines the operation of two of the four modes.

I also understand the Excu does some logging of g-force and the App potentially can report or illustrate this.

What I have established (with confirmation from TUBI) is that the 4 exhaust modes (selected anytime through the Remote), operate as follows:

- Mode (0) - Standard Mode = Valve permanently closed

- Mode (1) - Loud Mode = Valve permanently Open

Mode (2) - Sport Mode = Valve starts as Closed, but Opens every time when sharp acceleration for 10 or more seconds is detected by the Excu (Valve closes again when this criteria is not met)

Mode (3) - Foot Off Mode = Valve starts as Closed, but Opens for x seconds (unknown as yet) when deceleration is detected by the Excu, and then the Valve is closed again.

Once I’ve taken the car for a decent run I can assess each of these 4 Modes and shall post my observations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you for the detailed write up.
I just received my Tubi exhaust and have a question regarding the connection of the wiring for you, specifically where do the 3 small plugs connect into?

Jim is spot on. Some topsy turvy weather over the past week in Sydney has meant the little beast has been snug in the garage since I collected the car from fitting the Tubi, so unfortunately can’t offer any driving impressions just yet.

I can however share a couple of cut-away photos illustrating where the Tubi Excu (Exhaust Controller Unit) has been mounted.

I sent these Pics to TUBI (via the official Australian distributor) to seek validation of the orientation and positioning of the Excu, and they promptly came back saying this was “perfect”.

In essence...and to debunk some myths (including some self murkiness), the TUBI Excu is the sole ‘governor’ when it comes to controlling the operating room of the Electric Valve which is embedded in the larger centre pipe.

The Excu thus connects directly to the TUBI Valve actuator (located on the Muffler unit) to direct the Exhaust Valve Opening & Closing ....as aligned to the driver selected modes (via the Tubi Remote Fob) , and which changes the Exhaust characteristics on demand.

The TUBI Excu THUS does not connect to the OE ECU or TCU and acts independently of any of the Alfa DNA driving modes.

The Excu has a built-in antennae, gyroscope and accelerometer (as well Bluetooth) which enables the Excu to assess the level and duration of ‘spirited driving’ as well as deceleration, which determines the operation of two of the four modes.

I also understand the Excu does some logging of g-force and the App potentially can report or illustrate this.

What I have established (with confirmation from TUBI) is that the 4 exhaust modes (selected anytime through the Remote), operate as follows:

- Mode (0) - Standard Mode = Valve permanently closed

- Mode (1) - Loud Mode = Valve permanently Open

Mode (2) - Sport Mode = Valve starts as Closed, but Opens every time when sharp acceleration for 10 or more seconds is detected by the Excu (Valve closes again when this criteria is not met)

Mode (3) - Foot Off Mode = Valve starts as Closed, but Opens for x seconds (unknown as yet) when deceleration is detected by the Excu, and then the Valve is closed again.

Once I’ve taken the car for a decent run I can assess each of these 4 Modes and shall post my observations.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So this means the exhaust doesn't connect to the OBD2 port. Moreover, since hard acceleration needs to be detected for 10 seconds, it won't go loud immediately with acceleration (it doesn't read RPM) nor will it go quiet as fast as one might think or like. It sounds like the changes will be delayed. I wonder how that will sound dynamically as one is driving? Hopefully the weather down under improves so you get to have some fun .

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will check with my garage, but 99% that besides the earth/ground cable...the other connectors are ‘superfluous’ in respect of the 4C.

The TUBI Excu and Looms/Connectors (as I understand) are generic...and have the capability of controlling both pneumatic valves and electric exhaust valves and can support ‘piggy backing’ to OE ECU’s.

I suspect some of the Ferrari models (and other brands) have these inputs for these Tubi connectors.

In the case of the 4C, this is not applicable.

I requested from TUBI and was provided some documentation illustrating the connectors...and these I think illustrate connectivity for a F430...which shows the pneumatic valve integration.

I’ll try and attach these document this thread when I have the chance.

In respect to the Excu parameters that controls the opening /closing of the Valves as measured by duration of the event by the Excu, the Tubi App allows the programming/changing of these values ...so potentially the duration to detect acceleration can be shortened to almost ‘instant’. I have not successfully paired the App to the Excu (yet) to explore this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I will check with my garage, but 99% that besides the earth/ground cable...the other connectors are ‘superfluous’ in respect of the 4C.

In respect to the Excu parameters that controls the opening /closing of the Valves as measured by duration of the event by the Excu, the Tubi App allows the programming/changing of these values ...so potentially the duration to detect acceleration can be shortened to almost ‘instant’. I have not successfully paired the App to the Excu (yet) to explore this.
These are important points. Thank you for clarifying with so much detail. If this system lives up to it's potential, not having to run a wire to the OBD2 is a huge bonus .

·
Registered
124 Posts
The TUBI documentation illustrates that the loom does have a CanBus Connector for the purposes of potentially hooking into the OBD of the vehicle.....however the installation guideline has a specific reference for this NOT to be connected.

From a layman’s perspective it would appear that the TUBI Exhaust Valve Operation is controlled 100% by the Tubi Excu ie without any dependencies on any OE mechanicals or OE smarts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
CORRECTION on earlier post re: Mode (2)

Mode (2) - Sport = Valve starts Closed but opens IMMEDIATELY upon the Excu detecting a sharp thrust/acceleration and will stay open for a minimum of 10 seconds or presumably until the thrust level falls below the configured value....and will then Close again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Found some pics from Tubi center pipe and cat delete...

Tubi Style Alfa Romeo 4C centre pipe
Part Number: TSALF4C13.030.A

Replaces the OEM resonated centre pipe, for extra sound volume.

PLUG-AND-PLAY COMPONENT

The component is perfectly interchangeable with the original components, following the instructions in the manufacturer's workshop manual.

MATERIAL

AISI304 STAINLESS STEEL: Stainless steels are used in motor vehicle applications because they are resistant to corrosion and high-temperature oxidation, offer energy absorption properties and maintain their mechanical properties over a wide temperature range. Although Stainless Steel is a heavier option than Inconel, thanks to our skills, we work with very thin wall tube to keep weight to a minimum.

MAIN PIPE DIMENSION

76mm

tuubi.jpg

Cat delete

Tubi Style Alfa Romeo 4C Downpipe without Catalytic Converter
Part Number: TSALF4C13.013.A

ECU REMAPPING

PERFORMANCE: When installing the Tubi Style aftermarket exhaust system that was developed for use on closed tracks, changes to the operating conditions of the turbo may result in a degraded torque curve. We recommend remapping the ECU in order to maximize the performance of the car and to prevent potential »check engine light« error codes.

MATERIAL

AISI304 STAINLESS STEEL: Stainless steels are used in motor vehicle applications because they are resistant to corrosion and high-temperature oxidation, offer energy absorption properties and maintain their mechanical properties over a wide temperature range. Although Stainless Steel is a heavier option than Inconel, thanks to our skills, we work with very thin wall tube to keep weight to a minimum.

CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL

The removal of the catalytic converter(s) allows the minimisation of exhaust backpressure, creating the optimal situation in terms of performance and weight reduction.

Tubi.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Found some pics from Tubi center pipe and cat delete...

Tubi Style Alfa Romeo 4C centre pipe
Part Number: TSALF4C13.030.A

Replaces the OEM resonated centre pipe, for extra sound volume.

PLUG-AND-PLAY COMPONENT

The component is perfectly interchangeable with the original components, following the instructions in the manufacturer's workshop manual.

MATERIAL

MAIN PIPE DIMENSION

76mm

View attachment 111124

Cat delete

Tubi Style Alfa Romeo 4C Downpipe without Catalytic Converter
Part Number: TSALF4C13.013.A

ECU REMAPPING

PERFORMANCE: When installing the Tubi Style aftermarket exhaust system that was developed for use on closed tracks, changes to the operating conditions of the turbo may result in a degraded torque curve. We recommend remapping the ECU in order to maximize the performance of the car and to prevent potential »check engine light« error codes.

MATERIAL

CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL

The removal of the catalytic converter(s) allows the minimisation of exhaust backpressure, creating the optimal situation in terms of performance and weight reduction.

View attachment 111125
Noob question...can one replace the center pipe without removing the catalytic converter? Since they are separate sections I would think yes but please confirm. I would think just replacing the center pipe would make the exhaust note more raspy since a resonator is removed. I wonder if it affects drone, too? That's probably irrelevant since it's a valved exhaust. Who's going to try it?

·
Super Moderator
15,606 Posts
Noob question...can one replace the center pipe without removing the catalytic converter? Since they are separate sections I would think yes but please confirm. I would think just replacing the center pipe would make the exhaust note more raspy since a resonator is removed. I wonder if it affects drone, too? That's probably irrelevant since it's a valved exhaust. Who's going to try it?

Midpipe can be replaced without losing the cat. Assuming the angles and bolt connection of the replacement midpipe matches stock. This one appears as if it should (looks similar to stock, but impossible to tell for certain just from a pic.

My bet is that it is fully compatible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Midpipe can be replaced without losing the cat. Assuming the angles and bolt connection of the replacement midpipe matches stock. This one appears as if it should (looks similar to stock, but impossible to tell for certain just from a pic.

My bet is that it is fully compatible.
More pics can be found here...

Reactions: 4C-ophe

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Come one guys. It's been 2 days .

Today's weather is crap again. Had two good days, Tues and Wed, but Fas4C works and afternoon/evening traffic during the week out our way is nightmarish at best. It'll come. Patience.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts