Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cheers, Dario....as per my initial thoughts the recorded & played back audio sounds quite different in the flesh....but none the less very satisfying.

Every 4C I’ve heard sounds glorious !!

I’m running the stock down-pipe and no plans to change.

I’ve just uploaded what I think is the best audio grab from a ‘noise interference quality’ perspective, per below:

As I finished my last run and pulled into a side street to idle. I just happened to notice a yellow Lamborghini Gallardo Spider parked in the Drive Way of the house...so I thought it may be a bit cheeky to prod the accelerator a couple of times (35-40) seconds in Open Valve Mode and then a couple of taps with Valve Closed. There is a nice rumble and growl and you can certainly hear the difference between open vs closed valve.

Hopefully we’ll be able to catch-up on a drive soon so you can hear in person...but in my opinion the actual sound is the same...but the Open Valve appears to be about 60% louder.

Look forward to seeing/hearing your recent mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts

The exhaust kit includes the muffler with 4 outlet pipes- two on each side of the car- four polished end tips- the pipe with felxi that connects the muffler to the kat- and the ExCU with the electric valve- the bumper grids. The exhaust is TUV homologated and street legal. LEGAL COMPLIANCY: UNDER HOMOLOGATION SOUND: TUBI SOUND VALVE TYPE: ELECTRIC VALVE VALVETRONIC SYSTEM: PIPING MAIN DIMENSION: D76 END TIPS – POSTION AND NUMEBER: 2 + 2 LATERALLY MATERIAL: AISI304 STAINLESS STEEL FINISHING: BRUSHED MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS: SPECIAL MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS

Noticed on the Belgium Tubi Style dealer these extra information. Think they're homologated in Europe [email protected]
Lvs4c, did you recieve some kind of 'papers' with you exhaust?? Maybe not (Canada?)
1609759777654.png

·
Registered
829 Posts
The official vendor in Belgium is selling it for 3000€ plus a 10% discount. That ends up being $3k +US tax ($?) +shipping (~$300). Total cost would be closer to $3500, but your point is well taken. This is for someone who wants the Corsa sound at times and the stock muffler sound at times. It would be more neighbor friendly without drone despite the Corsa sound and be better in places with strict exhaust volume laws (e.g. CA). The cost is similar to getting the Akra but the valves aren't tied to the DNA selection. You can set it to always quiet, always loud, gets loud on hard acceleration and gets loud on deceleration & down shifts. I personally like this over the Akra but agree that $3,500 is a lot. Considering the Capistro is twice as expensive as this, I'd say this is a a good deal for a valved exhaust but one still need motivation to get it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I answered to your PM Jagman btw.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I finally did it! Joined the few 4C owners rocking the Tubi Style exhaust system. The most difficult part was deciding between the 3 and 4-tip versions. The only reason why Akrapovic wasn't on my list of must-have options in the summer of 2019 when I bought my Alfa was because I knew I'd switch out the stock exhaust with Tubi's system--the look of the 3-tip version just was it for me.

But despite that I really struggled deciding between the "more refined" 4-tip Tubi version and the "more raspy" 3-tip version. I appreciate everyone's contribution to this thread, which helped a ton. But I do wish I had also known about the YouTube video linked below when I was making my decision. It likely would not have changed anything, but it might have made it easier to compare many of the options out there to support my decision. To me, the best-sounding exhaust on this list is the Centerline one. And if I didn't desire a valved version, this one would have won hands down for me.

Terrific video if you're in the market for a new exhaust, and as long as you can excuse the cheesy opening (lol):

Alfa Romeo 4C Exhaust Sounds

As it is I love my new 3-tip exhaust, not just for the look, but mainly because it sounds so different and so better than the standard exhaust I had originally--seems like an enhanced race exhaust to me. It definitely is on the "raspy" and raw side. And because it is valved my neighbors are happy too.

Finally, a HUGE shout-out to our friend Matt at Alfa9 Supply -- was awesome working through him for the purchase rather than going to Tubi directly or to a lesser-known third party. As you likely all know, Matt's really got our back on these types of purchases, and I highly recommend him.

exhaust1.JPG

·
Registered
271 Posts
@Lvs4c and @Duckdude

Please post vids or audio recordings of your exhausts. The ones we've all seen aren't the best quality. When you have the time, please record revving the engine in all 4 modes (and let us know which mode is playing) so we can make informed decisions.

Please also comment on the sound characteristics of your version in the various settings and how it compares to your previous exhaust.

We're lucky to have members of this forum that have both versions. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
How did I know that was coming? :) Totally understand how this would be helpful in making a decision.

I have to say that @fas74c did a really good job of recording the 3-tip exhaust in this thread. That's pretty much what it sounds like. The YouTube clip from Tubi is pretty spot-on as well (at least in Open Mode).

To get a quick reference to the 3 vs 4-tip Tubi exhaust, click on the link I had provided above (also re-linked here, go to 3:10 for the 3-tip one and 3:38 for the 4-tip one).

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to really grasp the difference between the open and closed modes via audio clip, might have to best experience it in person since, as fas74c notes, it's an increase of maybe only 60-70% over closed mode. It's definitely significant, but my noise-averse GF will still ride with me in Open Mode, so it is tolerable and not fart-can loud.

Also, I have not yet noticed how effective Sport Mode and the Foot-Off Mode are, especially compared to Open and Standard (closed) modes. So I'd be curious to hear what the other 4C Tubi owners have found. Still need to do more research and analyzing, though, which I plan to do in the next few weeks. I'll report back then, and will try to do some recordings as well.

But I get it, @jagman - I have to admit the most frustrating part of this was buying an almost $4k exhaust system without ever hearing it, and its various modes, very effectively - especially trying to decide between the sound of the 3 and 4-tip versions. Since 2015 up here in Portland I've only seen 3 other 4Cs in the wild, all of which had the race exhaust. So other than my standard, that's all I've heard in person. Heck, I, like many of us, bought this car without ever test driving one first, so running blind with high hopes all just sort of goes with the 4C-owner territory, I guess...

121 - 133 of 133 Posts