Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the title suggests.

We all know that the 4C is a head turner. But some stories are better than others, and worth telling to the rest of us.

How many cell phone cameras have you counted, deployed in your direction at the same time? Exactly how far can the driver of an Infinity lean out of the car to wave at you before losing control? Best (or most unlikely) wave of approval? Snottiest nose-up-his-ass look from an owner of a more expensive exotic? Do tell!

Share your favourite experience.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
"Snottiest nose-up-his-ass look from an owner of a more expensive exotic?" That doesn't really exist. It seems everybody really love the 4C, at least people who like cars.

I've had drivers of cars like 8C Spider, Gallardos, Ferraris and Porsches come up to me and just go "wow".

·
Super Moderator
12,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Snottiest nose-up-his-ass look from an owner of a more expensive exotic?" That doesn't really exist. It seems everybody really love the 4C, at least people who like cars.

I've had drivers of cars like 8C Spider, Gallardos, Ferraris and Porsches come up to me and just go "wow".
Yes, I have only had good experiences as well - including from people who own cars worth many times the price tag of the 4C.
Of course, there's always one, somewhere, who will react differently.
That was just a tongue in cheek comment to get responses!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I was stuck in traffic one day, going for a joy ride up PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) on my to one of the uphill canyon roads. A guy on a Harley was splitting lanes, as he rolled past me he yelled, "Rich muthaf....r!" ... If he only knew ... my history ... and that I'm between jobs one more time.

A guy in a Cayman looked at my car and said, "I'm driving the car your's was copied from."

The looks, thumbs up, smiles, and "What a beautiful car." are endless. Hardly a day goes past without three positives.

One guy had his hand as if he was opening the door while his buddy took a picture.

One ... err, person, (older teen or young adult) asked me how much I'd sell my car for to him.
"Mine's not for sale. The dealer is up the road a bit."
Then he asked if he could drive my car for a while. Obviously he was not all together in the head.

A standard question is, "How fast will it go?"
I usually reply with, "Fast enough to get in trouble."
But really, is that all that matters in a car? Top speed? And where, would they do that top speed anyway? Not only is traffic to heavy for that, but we can't legally drive that fast, anywhere around here.

"What kind of car is that?" "Who makes Alfa Romeo, Romero or Romeeo?" But that's a valid question actually. Most of our Alfa's are 50 years old here. Nobody knows what an Alfa is except a few strange types like us.

The Ferrari drivers usually wave back. The Porsche drivers usually don't, but, they're not car buffs, they just drive a status symbol. Had a nice drive with a McLaren one day followed by a parting wave. Same for a 911 once.

One of my neighbors, from a few blocks away, (I know him, sort of) walked by with a group of people. They all stopped and stood around my 4C which lives outside in the front. We were just leaving to walk our dogs, so I engaged him. He said his relative were visiting from out of town and he brought them over to see my car. Among other comments (all good) was one about my licence plate.
ILUSV 4C
"Four See is the model of the car. If this is the first one you've seen, then you know how illusive it is."

·
Registered
717 Posts
Same with me.
Got nothing but compliment everyday.
People simply do not know what is this sexy looking car and just want to take a look.
The car also called for attention because of the noise it makes.
Had people rolled down the windows and clapped. Yes, they clapped :)
Had people changed lanes to get close, but usually some japanese cars, not porsches, and porsches are a dime a dozen in northern california.
Besides the meaningless questions about how fast does it go or how fast did i bring it to, the question i also got was what is the hp.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Porsche has more enthusiasts than most brands. Go to a track day and you will see, that more than most exotics, porsche drivers are willing to drive their cars on the edge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Especially other sports-car drivers appreciate the 4C very well and are aware of its concept. When I showed up with my Audi R8 (sold) the reaction was much different: respect for what Audi had build but not at all that honest applause that the 4C generates within the community.

In terms of pictures: whenever I show up in downtown there are loads of pictures taken. Although I have to admit that my BMW Z1 generates more attention overall when the doors are down...

·
Super Moderator
12,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that the right and proper thing to do is get the chiropractic franchise for a few doors either side of the Alfa dealership.
There have to be a lot of stiff necks from all that snapping and spinning, as people drive by.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You guys are really funny :)
Drove the car to Union Square in SF last week to drop my wife off at a store off that shopping tourist trap (added bonus of 4C: she can not shop too much as the trunk can only hold 4 pairs of shoes and 1 bag of clothes). Really, we measured.
The car is a sensational attraction. People stopped in their tract at intersection to take selfies, picture of 4C and teenagers yelled and pumped their fists. Many pointed at the car and me and yelled alfa, alfa.
I was kind of caught by surprise to the reaction of the crowd, many are tourists I think. Guess they never saw the 4C before.
Got questions: what kind of car is that ? I said alfa romeo. Who made it ? alfa romeo. Where is it ? Italy :)
Some young lads told me : your car looked sick ! I am not too young to decipher that. But as soon as I don't look sick, it is ok :)

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Quick story. I was at a sports store the other day and came out to see a young special needs boy with his mother and grandmother standing by the car. The boy said "Alfa Romeo!" The mom asked him how he knew that. He replied, " That's the car I drive in my game, Need for Speed!" Too cute! So I let him sit in it while mom took pictures. Those are the best pics of my car taken yet. Made his day for sure!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very nice gesture Meishka1.
I would had done the same.
Told you all, we are a bunch of nice people.
I let people sat in and revved my car at the show with no problem. We were teenagers once, weren't we ?
Who know ? These kids may someday told somebody that they got a chance to sit in and rev the alfa romeo 4C and what an experience that was, and they may someday go back and design cars that do not do self-driving, which likely they will all have in their lifetime.
I also told the car is cf and had easy to clean inside plastic door panels, so basically, it is indestructible.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
We're very fortunate to own and drive the cars people dream of so why not give a little something back?

One of my favourite memories is when we had taken my Lambo up on a shopping center roof parking to take some shots. This was in Estonia and an old(ish) woman was up to return som bottles to get a few cents. She was clearly Russian but tried to complement my car in Estonian. I offered her to go with me in the car down to ground floor and she couldn't have looked more bewildered if a spaceship had picked her up!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Quick story. I was at a sports store the other day and came out to see a young special needs boy with his mother and grandmother standing by the car. The boy said "Alfa Romeo!" The mom asked him how he knew that. He replied, " That's the car I drive in my game, Need for Speed!" Too cute! So I let him sit in it while mom took pictures. Those are the best pics of my car taken yet. Made his day for sure!

4C owner of the year, right here folks. We can all learn from this.

·
Registered
717 Posts
That was just pure jealousy from an immature Cayman owner I think.
Best response would be a polite smile, and answer:
Really ? then I guess alfa romeo did a great job then, because my car gave me much more fun than your car in all aspects and please send my regard to your car company. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still can't understand that Porsche driver, how many common factors do we have with his car? CF chassis? Supersport low profile design? Production method? Look? Feel? Sound? People's reaction? ... I think he is just jealous all the way... That driver chose what his brain suggested him, we all listened to our hearts instead and we ,as 4C drivers, don't feel the necessity to be appreciated according to what crest or badge that our car has... Labels or Brand Prestige don't limit our real desires and motivation for driving our dreams, we are a free nation of its own... That's the end

1 - 20 of 192 Posts