Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be two different original steering wheels/steering columns! They have different spline configurations.
Does anyone here know anything about this? When did it change? Which car have which steering wheel?
Part numbers, VINs?

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
There seems to be two different original steering wheels/steering columns! They have different spline configurations.
Does anyone here know anything about this? When did it change? Which car have which steering wheel?
Part numbers, VINs?
Absolutely no idea. Maybe someone in the know from the factory or a parts supplier or vendor may be able to shed some light. The average owner would rarely need to replace a steering wheel to find out. Blissfully unaware.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Part numbers, VINs?
what is leading you to this assumption?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two different spline orientations. It became obvious when I bought a steering wheel spacer – which didn't fit. :-(
Se pics.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Interesting... I bought this one from MOPAR online:
and it came with the bottom in red leather (which I wanted) and thankfully fit my NA 2017 Spyder.
It does state on the site that it replaces a previous version, but as stated, it fit :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both pictures from a 4c or is one from an abarth or something? What spacer did you buy?
Both are 4C ones. I've also seen photos on this forum and on the webb showing (with some magnification...) both configurations, so it actually seems to be that way.

This is the spacer I bought:

Giacomo, the owner(?) of Spacer Shop didn't know about the problem and he really welcomes some help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both are 4C ones. I've also seen photos on this forum and on the webb showing (with some magnification...) both configurations, so it actually seems to be that way.

This is the spacer I bought:

Giacomo, the owner(?) of Spacer Shop didn't know about the problem and he really welcomes some help.
Seems from your photos that the alignment part (missing teeth) is mirrored with respect to the vertical plane.

If I’m correct (based on the link to the spacer) you’re trying to fit a spacer between the steering column and the OEM steering wheel. Considered changing the steering wheel?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems from your photos that the alignment part (missing teeth) is mirrored with respect to the vertical plane.

If I’m correct (based on the link to the spacer) you’re trying to fit a spacer between the steering column and the OEM steering wheel. Considered changing the steering wheel?
Not really mirrored – all three blank splines are 3.5 steps offset.
Changing steering wheel would only result in a steering wheel approx 30° offset.
It's possible to mount the spacer 30° wrong – the wires are long enough and the steering wheel will fit correctly (being 30° wrong in the opposite direction.)

But...
• The steering angle sensor now aligns with the spacer and disables ESP, ABS and dynamic mode.
Fix: restet steering angle sensor with Multiecuscan.
• Now the indicator stalk stays on after left turns, since the steering angle body is used for the "automatic off"-function. 😖
No easy fix available.

Personally I've modified my spacer, now it works – so I'm good. But it would be nice to understand why there are two models and what cars they are fitted on.
The manufacturer would love to know as well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
Not really mirrored – all three blank splines are 3.5 steps offset.
Changing steering wheel would only result in a steering wheel approx 30° offset.
It's possible to mount the spacer 30° wrong – the wires are long enough and the steering wheel will fit correctly (being 30° wrong in the opposite direction.)

But...
• The steering angle sensor now aligns with the spacer and disables ESP, ABS and dynamic mode.
Fix: restet steering angle sensor with Multiecuscan.
• Now the indicator stalk stays on after left turns, since the steering angle body is used for the "automatic off"-function. 😖
No easy fix available.

Personally I've modified my spacer, now it works – so I'm good. But it would be nice to understand why there are two models and what cars they are fitted on.
The manufacturer would love to know as well...
Definitely first time I’m reading about this. It’s very interesting, why only the aligning is different.
Yes, incorrect position of the steering angle sensor gives a lot of errors.
Maybe someone else on the forum is familiar with the two versions.

Do you have a part no. for the steering wheel with different spline?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts