Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you folks have an affinity for Italian machines of the two-wheeled variety? I’ve been spending a good bit of time ripping around on my KTM Duke during the COVID environment—and I have always had an unhealthy lust for anything with a Ducati badge. So, I just picked up a Supersport (their real world everyday sport bike). Anyone else mixing in some Ducati love???

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
Any of you folks have an affinity for Italian machines of the two-wheeled variety? I’ve been spending a good bit of time ripping around on my KTM Duke during the COVID environment—and I have always had an unhealthy lust for anything with a Ducati badge. So, I just picked up a Supersport (their real world everyday sport bike). Anyone else mixing in some Ducati love??? View attachment 114320
Yes, Italian, if not Ducati. I’ve posted mine a couple of times. No harm in doing it again. 95 Guzzi 1100 Carb Sport and a 92 Guzzi Le Mans Mk V.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very stylish machines! I spotted that Quadrifoglio emblem paying homage to their four-wheeled brethren;)

I find driving to be such an enjoyable and rewarding hobby, but there is something about being on a motorcycle—maybe it is because you are in the elements and exposed to more dangers—but it certainly makes you feel alive. As I have been focusing on body positioning and improving technique, it has really highlighted how much more you become “one with the machine”.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When my daily SV1000 Suzi brakes down, i'll be buying an Aprillia Tuono..(sadly my SV keeps on going strong aftter 18 years of usage)

I'm a Aprillia guy. Always loved the brand!

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
Very stylish machines! I spotted that Quadrifoglio emblem paying homage to their four-wheeled brethren;)

I find driving to be such an enjoyable and rewarding hobby, but there is something about being on a motorcycle—maybe it is because you are in the elements and exposed to more dangers—but it certainly makes you feel alive. As I have been focusing on body positioning and improving technique, it has really highlighted how much more you become “one with the machine”.
Things I find useful: I find it really important to be relaxed on the bike. Hold the handlebars lightly improves the feel, just like holding the steering wheel of a car. Keep your forearms close to horizontal and push on the bars to countersteer to get the desired lean angle then relax with even pressure on both bars. Always look out and through curves, never down. It slows everything down (perception) and helps relax you when pressing on and use your thighs to move your body weight. Stuff you already probably do. The Guzzis weigh a ton so you need to be deliberate and precise as they don’t brake or steer nearly as quickly as modern bikes. Great fun though with loads of torque and a character all their own. Just a few things that help me...Still alive so it’s working this far and the quadrifoglio is doing its thing too.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Not Italian, but it is a 2 wheeled stablemate to my Italian. I firmly believe that the engineering behind the Buell’s are top notch, especially for a street bike. This beauty turns 15 this year

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Any of you folks have an affinity for Italian machines of the two-wheeled variety? I’ve been spending a good bit of time ripping around on my KTM Duke during the COVID environment—and I have always had an unhealthy lust for anything with a Ducati badge. So, I just picked up a Supersport (their real world everyday sport bike). Anyone else mixing in some Ducati love??? View attachment 114320
These would make great stablemate.
6A38A2C0-B005-4783-85FF-5F6F7290DB11.jpeg

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Driving motorcycles as a teen made me appreciate a good drive -- especially a morning drive. I resisted getting a Ducati my entire adult life.

I am traumatized by numerous friends who met the pavement with horrific outcomes -- haunting ones actually.

Be safe.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Doesn't get any more Italian than that bicycle, everything beyond the pedals and tires was made in Italy.

Reactions: RKBerta

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When my daily SV1000 Suzi brakes down, i'll be buying an Aprillia Tuono..(sadly my SV keeps on going strong aftter 18 years of usage)

View attachment 114327

View attachment 114326

I'm a Aprillia guy. Always loved the brand!
I’m also a fan of the Aprilia brand. I considered a Tuono V4, but honestly the idea of 175 hp on the street terrifies me. They have that new Tuono 660 coming in a couple months and that is going to be an ideal street-fighter/commuter/canyon-carver for a lot of people.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to get a bike but everyone tells me that it's a matter of time before I die on it
A lot of that is up to you. It is borderline criminal to sell 180 hp 1000cc sport bikes to 20-year-old kids who lack experience, sound judgment, and self control. But... there is a lot that you CAN control to mitigate your risk and keep yourself “safer”:

1. I began my two-wheel journey with an accredited motorcycle safety class—even an experienced rider will pick up a few tips that help you anticipate danger.
2. ALWAYS wear the gear—buy the best full-face helmet you can afford; but I also don’t get on the bike without an armored jacket, gloves, and boots. Dress for the slide, not the ride!
3. Ride YOUR ride. Gotta leave the ego at home, and never outride your own skill level (or your sight line). I hear about people getting in trouble trying to keep pace with more experienced/skilled riders. Now that I’m i. my 40’s, that is no longer a temptation.
4. ZERO alcohol before or during.

Riding a moto is far more dangerous than driving a car (even one weighing less than 2500 lbs.). There are a lot of factors that you can’t control, but there are many that you can control—you choose where, when, and HOW you ride. Respecting the machine and the danger that is always present goes a long way to getting home safe every time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Before the 4C, I had an Italian Motorcycle fetish that included a few Ducati's, a Cagiva, and one of the first non-Oro MV Agusta F4's in the country. I've always had motorcycles. At one point, I owned seven motorcycles, but with the sale of my MV Agusta last summer, I am now down to zero motorcycles for the first time in more than 25 years.

There's part of me that misses it. That being said, I always looked at the 4C Spider like a four wheeled motorcycle. I drive it down the same roads and go the same places that I would on a motorcycle.

I think that if I get another one, I will probably go with something electric. The range of electric motorcycles is quite good and the performance is ridiculous. Plus, an EV makes a lot of sense for a bike given the simplified maintenance, something important for an occasional use vehicle.

Back when I had fewer responsibilities, I did a lot of riding. You'll note the Aerostich suits hanging in the garage. I have about 250k miles of total riding experience and as others have commented, it teaches lessons that make you a better car driver.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Several Italian 2 wheeled toys for me, although I think I'm getting ready to let the MVs go. I just don't ride them anymore. The Vespa probably gets the most action, my wife and I ride that aroud our neighboorhood in the evenings. View attachment 114332 View attachment 114333
I bid farewell to my MV for the same reason. the bikes deserve more than being a static display in the garage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Before my 4c my life consisted of moto bikes. Raced motocross for years, then started restoring and racing vintage bikes. Lost count but well over the 100 bike count. No Italians bikes but we do have Swedish, Japanese and Canadian! Here are some of my favourites but the collection is slowly dwindling as I get older...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice choice, Mateo! I have had a 2021 Supersport 950 on order since mid November, to replace my BMW K1300S. The BMW has been great, but at 6 years and 60k miles, it is time to change bikes or start overhauling $BMW$ parts. Hopefully the Ducati will arrive in early April. I am looking forward to the new bike, but am hoping that I made the right decision, going from shaft back to chain and dropping a ton of power. Even correcting for the Ducati's 25% weight savings, I'll be down at least 20% on HP & torque across the entire rev range. Oh well, the 4C isn't the highest HP car, and it is still amazing fun, right?

Back to the original thread, there is still Italian 2 wheeled company in the garage, though, as I have raced a Colnago Bititan since 1995 (of course full Campagnolo :)).

Have fun- stay safe!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts