Registered
1,343 Posts
Your tyres rubber compounds probably went hard in storage 😂

Reactions: Alfanut

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Correct, running 32psi and its terrible! Its very floaty!
Way too much ....I have PSS in 215-245 and they work great at 25f 29r when set cold....or even drop them down to 24/28. If you just replaced your existing PZeros....give it a couple of thousand miles for the mold release compound to wear off also. The worn out PZeros had no tread so that maks a difference too. When new, tires are very squirmy for lack of a better word due to the thick tread. Those PSS are excellent tires though...actually have slightly better response than the newer PS4S although the newer tire does have a slight advantage in dry and wet handling.....just wish those newer tires came in the 215 front size like the PSS did. 4Cs are very sensitive to tire pressure changes and high pressure will make the 4C fell like it is on jello.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have tried the michelin pss, ps4s and ps2s. I know the pss are old tech but i wasnt able to get the ps4s or ps2s in the size i needed so i tried them out. They were worse than the oem tyre. I cant remember what tyre brand the oem was.
After trying both the ps4s and ps2s i can say they have very similar feedback with the obvious difference grip. For what they are worth and if they are available i would be going straight to the ps2s in the front of my 4c. I have a 215/40 r18 bridgestone RE71rs in the front now and they are good, very good in fact for fast street, track and comfort. I have had the pressure as low as 18 psi cold (track only) trying to get some feel in the front/ tyre wear. My thinking is the ps2s are softer in the sidewall. They are both loaded rated approx the same. I think the softer side wall will help the 4c. Not many cars are going to have less than 200kg on a corner and it seems at the track i keep going down in pressure to achieve the best feel/grip. When i started with higher pressures i wasn't going forward with my lap times as well until i started going lower in tyre pressure on the front. Keep in mind that i started with 25 psi cold. By the way im not driving in the wet and on the street i would like to think im not pushing that hard. Also bare in mind the other car i use the ps2s on is front engine and we run the tyre pressures at 44psi cold. Yes i have tested lower tyre pressures and went slower, scrubbed the writing of the sidewalls and understeered alot more.

·
Super Moderator
10,764 Posts
I have tried the michelin pss, ps4s and ps2s. I know the pss are old tech but i wasnt able to get the ps4s or ps2s in the size i needed so i tried them out. They were worse than the oem tyre. I cant remember what tyre brand the oem was.
After trying both the ps4s and ps2s i can say they have very similar feedback with the obvious difference grip. For what they are worth and if they are available i would be going straight to the ps2s in the front of my 4c. I have a 215/40 r18 bridgestone RE71rs in the front now and they are good, very good in fact for fast street, track and comfort. I have had the pressure as low as 18 psi cold (track only) trying to get some feel in the front/ tyre wear. My thinking is the ps2s are softer in the sidewall. They are both loaded rated approx the same. I think the softer side wall will help the 4c. Not many cars are going to have less than 200kg on a corner and it seems at the track i keep going down in pressure to achieve the best feel/grip. When i started with higher pressures I wasn't going forward with my lap times as well until i started going lower in tyre pressure on the front. Keep in mind that i started with 25 psi cold. By the way im not driving in the wet and on the street i would like to think im not pushing that hard. Also bare in mind the other car i use the ps2s on is front engine and we run the tyre pressures at 44psi cold. Yes i have tested lower tyre pressures and went slower, scrubbed the writing of the sidewalls and understeered alot more.
I’m about (well, in the next month or two) to put on some Pilot Supersports on the front in size 205/45x17. I’ve used a couple of sets of 205/45x17 P-Zeros and noted the change in grip after more negative camber was added. I think it is necessary to drive on the Pirellis with an eye to smoothness and care to load up the fronts with adequate weight transfer using either a little trail braking or off-throttle weight transfer in the right gear. I’m one of the few here who really doen’t mind them as they start squealing way before they lose grip and when they do they lose their grip gradually… (except on track where heat can over-inflate them and also overheat the rubber when they can let go in a flash.) It’s easy to induce understeer on them if you want to. It can be a fine line between getting it right and wrong. It’ll be interesting to see what difference the Supersports make. I was lucky to see the Supersports on Tyroola so I thought I’d give ‘em a go after the majority of 4C blokes I drive with converted over to them at their first tyre change. Pity they weren’t available in 235/40x18 so I’m putting Cup2s on the rear. This is for the road, not track.
Edit: I’ve Hankook R-S4 for the track and some road but they are crude. Very noisy. They sound like you’ve got worn wheel bearings and the sidewalls are much stiffer so bumpier on rough roads. Softer sidewalls of the Pirellis make them much more comfortable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Way too much ....I have PSS in 215-245 and they work great at 25f 29r when set cold....or even drop them down to 24/28. If you just replaced your existing PZeros....give it a couple of thousand miles for the mold release compound to wear off also. The worn out PZeros had no tread so that maks a difference too. When new, tires are very squirmy for lack of a better word due to the thick tread. Those PSS are excellent tires though...actually have slightly better response than the newer PS4S although the newer tire does have a slight advantage in dry and wet handling.....just wish those newer tires came in the 215 front size like the PSS did. 4Cs are very sensitive to tire pressure changes and high pressure will make the 4C fell like it is on jello.
I've dropped them to 25f / 29r and yes it was much better!! I might give 24/28 a go as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts