Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't see a thread for members to show off their home garages. I've seen some on other forums and it's always fun to see how others have personalized their spaces. I'm getting close to finalizing my garage now, just trying to figure out if I want to go with a good acid stain or RaceDeck on the floors...

Currently have a four post lift and the space measures 23'x27'. The back wall has a good amuont of workspace with cabinets and two separate rolling tool chests. This is a separate detached garage for us so I'm trying to make it a dedicated car shop!

So how have other members finished their garages?!?!

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
Um, pictures???
:grin2:

Good thread idea.
I moved it to the Lounge area so it doesn't get lost as quickly.

Looking forward to some inspiration. I like mine, but there's always room for improvement!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Gladiator Gearwall for the cabinets and part of the wall (hooks and shelving) and Proseal floor tiles. The floor tiles are easy to install. I have had them for about 10 years, the only disadvantage is car tires permanently mark them if you don't apply a sealant, otherwise I can highly recommend both the Gearwall and the floor tiles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I like this idea, The ultimate garage. You have the space (and don’t have the junk) it’s something that’s affordable for most everyone. But these photos like the ones from Ray8 are just going to hurt me I’m so jealous!

Here’s my ultimate fantasy garage and house. Nice spacious beautiful garage on the street level that you can drive into. But have some type of elevator pad in a corner of the shop that is flush with the floor that can drive a car onto that can be raised like an elevator to lift up one level one entire car on the floor pad that goes right into your big living room. So you can have your favorite car in your living room while you’re hanging out with friends. The car would be a sort of piece of art that you could change with whatever car you wanted.
But no idea what an elevator floor pad like that would cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I was luck with a detached 600 sq feet... After the holidays my plan is to hang a TV on the wall and work on lighting.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think my dream garage needs some work.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Photo of my garage a few years ago (only photo I could find, sorry) -- current house is a 3 bay and isn't as nicely "designed"

Cabinets are from lowes, cutout on the right has custom built cabinets.
Bought two restaurant stainless steel prep tables as work benches. They won't hold a vice, but they're great for everything else. Highly recommended for any DIYers.

Had air and electrical plumbed to the front of the garage.

Recessed lights in the ceiling.
The white epoxy floor looked amazing when it was clean and no car work was going on. The recessed lights and the flooring made the garage look like a showroom.
However, it got dirty super easily.

Our current garage setup has grey expoxied floors and they are terrible. Dropping a bolt/washer requires a magnet to find.

I would love to do porcelain tiles, like Jack Olsen's garage. Although, would love to have space for a lift/workshop. Next home, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
14,028 Posts
Photo of my garage a few years ago (only photo I could find, sorry) -- current house is a 3 bay and isn't as nicely "designed"

Cabinets are from lowes, cutout on the right has custom built cabinets.
Bought two restaurant stainless steel prep tables as work benches. They won't hold a vice, but they're great for everything else. Highly recommended for any DIYers.

Had air and electrical plumbed to the front of the garage.

Recessed lights in the ceiling.
The white epoxy floor looked amazing when it was clean and no car work was going on. The recessed lights and the flooring made the garage look like a showroom.
However, it got dirty super easily.

Our current garage setup has grey expoxied floors and they are terrible. Dropping a bolt/washer requires a magnet to find.

I would love to do porcelain tiles, like Jack Olsen's garage. Although, would love to have space for a lift/workshop. Next home, I guess.
Sweet!
(the contents, too)

Does remind me of a point that anyone considering designing a dream garage should consider (because I have the issue, and suspect it might be here as well).
If you have ceiling lighting and overhead doors, watch the placement of the lights. I have some super bright LED ceiling fixtures over one work bay in mine, but if I want to work with the door up to get some fresh air and sunshine in, all they do is illuminate the upper side of the door! And the sunshine doesn't necessarily light up where you're working. Never even considered that. Having enough ceiling light in un-shielded areas, possibly supplemented by wall fixtures, may be an answer. Or perhaps windows in the doors exactly where the light fixtures are when the door is open.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I just completed a bit of a remodel of my 26x26 attached garage this fall. I went with cabinets from Ikea and Speedway Tiles for the floor (http://speedwaytile.com, American made and also available on Amazon with Prime and eBay). Very happy with the result. Next summer I'm going to do the same in my detached garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have some super bright LED ceiling fixtures over one work bay in mine, but if I want to work with the door up to get some fresh air and sunshine in, all they do is illuminate the upper side of the door!
Yep, another issue is, the recessed lights aren't nearly as bright as shop lights.

A friend fixed this issue with overhead lights by installed shop lights on his walls. Hurt storage, helped with working on cars immensely.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yep - you can never have enough lighting or outlets in a garage. And - if you're remodelling or building a garage nowadays you should be sure to put in 220v outlets alongside each parking spot if possible to future-proof for electric car/bike chargers down the road.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Tiles look cool. But if you don't have a lift and need to "creep" around . . . .

Keep it coming guys. I have a big project ahead of me and need your experiences and ideas.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The tiles work fine for a creeper. They have a subtle diamond plate patter,n but not enough to stop creeper wheels.

A proper professional level epoxy floor is great too, but it requires a lot of tedious (read expensive and time-consuming) prep if your floor has any cracks, pitting, oil stains, or existing coatings/paint.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Oh - and the real solution to that problem is simply: get a lift. They aren't as expensive as you'd think.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts