Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I only have a 2-car garage that unfortunately is filled with mostly kids stuff since I have 3 boys all under the age of 9. So it’s nothing to rave about. The 4C fortunately gets one of the spots. My wife currently has the other. But that’ll change soon since she’s itching for an even bigger SUV which probably won’t fit anymore. At least not the way she parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
The Barn

I'm not sure if this thread is about wishful thinking or actual and active garages. 'Both' is probably the more correct answer.

I think the original question had to do with finishing the shop, and I for one, will be happy when my new workshop is finished and I can use it.

Four years ago we decided to build a garage so we could get our cars off the street and inside. This was when the 4C was still a myth, a unicorn back then. We laughed and said, "Oh yeah, it'll be done long before Alfa delivers the car." Then, finally, I was able to put my name on a waiting list for the new 4C. I was on this list for eleven (11) months, bought the first 4C sold in Los Angeles, which I've owned for three years and one month now. And our new garage still isn't finished. We can thank an Italian architect and lots of red-tape for that.

We the contractor gets finished, I'll be doing all my own cabinet work. More down time? Or is that new up-time? Anyway, our dream is that someday the garage will be finished and usable.

We're building a barn, a traditional New England barn that's red & white with a Gambrel roof. I'm starting to regret not including a hay window. Who builds a barn in the middle of Los Angeles??? Alfa owners? Crazy people?

Our house is 100 years old and we wanted something that looked like it belonged with the house. Something that wasn't just another box. The basic concept is that the barn is 100 years old and was converted about fifty years ago. To add to the mix of things, since this is an all new construction, we have to comply with modern building codes.

We've manged to find old but good fixtures that are time-period correct. The powder room has a corner sink that was quite stylish when our California Bungalow was new. (This corner sink was purchased in Maine and traveled in the trunk of our Giulia all the way home.) My work shop gets a utility sink that came out of my neighbors 100 year old house.

The footprint is 32 feet by 26 feet. Not as big as I really wanted, but like most things in life, a compromise. Our property just doesn't support a larger out-building. It was difficult giving up our yard for the barn. But, the use of the barn will win in the long run.

My wife gets the entire second floor, which has nearly the same footprint as my ground level workshop. She's a quilter and knitter. She took the plunge and bought a $20,000 commercial grade sewing machine that's 12 feet long 'long-arm'. Part of the plan includes a dedicated room just for the long-arm.

Downstairs is my area. I had to decide if I wanted a show-shop, or a working shop. "Work" won out over "show". The floor is natural grey concrete. The walls are plywood and 2x4. The ceilings and stairwell is drywall (per fire code, not my choice), plastered and painted white.

Like my wife, I have two rooms, the smaller room is 11.5 feet by 25 feet with a 14 foot ceiling and a parking lift. It will house our Garage Queen, a 2017 Giulia Ti Q2 and my daily driver, a 2015 4C LE.

The bigger room ends up being about 20 by 20. The stairwell and powder room absorb more space than I'd like. But, I will have a workshop! It's been plumbed for compressed air. The compressor will be parked under the stairwell and has a dedicated 220 line. Near the large roll-up door I'll park my arc-welder, which includes a dedicated 220 line.

My old shop is currently in storage. I've got plenty of tools to populate the shop. Table saw, band saw, wood lathe, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I've plenty of paraphernalia to cover the walls with. Road signs from places I've been which include CA1, Tail of the Dragon, Route 66 and so on. A few large (two feet dia) car emblems which include Alfa Romeo. If I choose to use it, I've even got the front clip of a 4C to nail on the wall.

We're expecting the new driveway to be poured right after Christmas. I made it a point to be able to back my work truck w/lumber rack into the shop.

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Note the weight transfer on the skid steer. Must be accelerating hard. Good thing he's not in a corner. >:)

Looks great, hornetball. You have a pretty place, too.
It'll be a while before you see results, but worth it in the end. Contractors are never very quick. Not as fast as you want them to be, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Fudge... That is one HUGE garage! I wish I could build one! I would be happy with a 24 x 48 ft garage so I could have a small 2 story apartment, workshop and a couple of car lifts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looking forward to seeing the finished product! I’m waiting for Spring to start work on our detached garage again. At this point I’m leaning toward RaceDeck for the floors and some nice LED’s to really brighten it up.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
The car lift (parking lift) was installed last Friday. The 220 volts in the shop isn't working yet so I can't use the lift or compressor yet. But our Illusive 4C is indoors now. Not much left to do now, almost finished. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think I have 10 cars at the moment. Plus 3 trailers. Plus a tractor and lawn equipment. Plus . . . . I've got stuff stuck in storage units, aircraft hangars, etc. First world problems.

Should be able to finally get my collection together . . . and add to it. >:)

Also planning to put in 2x2-posts, 1x4-post, tire changer/balancer (go through 30+ tires/year), etc. All my racetrack buddies are begging me for space too (I'm close to the track).

My wife told me she wants "her" garage back.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts