Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most on this forum now own a great car. But , what was the worst car that you have owned ?

Most unreliable car: Was my first car, it was a 1963 Pontiac Tempest. It had a 326 cu. in. V8 engine in the front, but the transmission was located at the rear of the car, as part of the differential. I think that it was the same unit that was on the Chevy Corvair. Why they would use it on 326 cu. in. V8 , makes no sense to me, but they did. Without even driving it very hard I blew out the clutch 2 times within 3 months. Bad engineering.

Most embarrassing car: A 1973 Ford Pinto station wagon. It was red with fake wooden siding, along the sides.:eek:馃サ The pro's, the tires were round, it was reliable and did not catch on fire.
I once had this car at Squaw Valley, when I heard that a bad winter storm was coming down upon the Sierras., I knew that I had to get out of there.
I must have been the last car that the CHP allowed onto I-80, before they completely shut it down. I did not even have chains on the car. For those that do not know I-80 is the major highway from New York to San Francisco, not to see any traffic on it at all seemed very strange. I now had this section of I-80 all to myself which was a nice winter wonderland. But that did not last. As I reached the higher elevations and neared Donner Summit things got much worse. It was like driving on ice (actually it was ice) while going uphill. In order to keep moving, I had to carefully feather the throttle just to maintain traction. After 5 or 6 miles of this it became fatiguing and mistakes were made. I did a 180, and struck a metal guard rail that was covered by a snow bank. I hit so hard that I was sure that the right side of the car was completely crushed. But there was not a dent on the car.Considering how hard I hit, this was surprising.
Maybe it was all that fake wood that saved me? :D
When I finally did get to the top of Donner Summit it was a long down hill slide to Auburn.

Super Moderator
Without reservation a Renault Megane 2. Just out of warranty and there wouldn鈥檛 have been a 6 month period where something didn鈥檛 go wrong electrically with it. Coils and solenoids mostly but also a steering rack in eight years of ownership. I got to the point of saying if one more thing goes wrong, it鈥檚 going. It did and it went. Replaced it with a Civic. Apart from a cement mixer trying to get into its boot nothing had gone wrong with it at all. The same goes for it鈥檚 clone replacement. It鈥檚 a little hard on brake discs and pads but I think that鈥檚 my wife.
This鈥檒l be a cheery thread...

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
Had a second hand Dodge full size van back around 1990. It was a disaster.....had a 318 V8 which had the engine go bad at around 80K miles so rebuilt it. The trans lasted not much longer, the differential chipped a ring gear tooth, and later the drive shaft U joint failed. But worse of all was that to meet US smog it was certified with a Carter carb which was a total piece of crap. You couldn't replace it with a better carb as it wouldn't be smog legal in California and Carter was out of business by than. Luckily I found an expert who was able to customize and rebuild it so it finally worked right. Only kept that car for about 5 years and was happy to see it go. It was the most unreliable car I ever had. My kids loved it though for trips..since than I have owned a few other vans but only GM or Ford.

As far as embarrassing cars...probably that same van. Remember it was used and a product of the 70s culture....was bright orange and while the previous owner put in nice wooden cabinets and paneling, they used green shag carpet on the floor 馃あ

Best part .....I could leave that van anywhere and not have to worry about it getting scratched or stolen...even thieves have standards! I guess for what I paid for that old used van it was not unexpected.

Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
My mother's Range Rover Evoque. Top of the line, every option. Garbage.

Went through... Six (6) fuel pumps in an area her Ferrari roared happily with the same gas.
Lost electrical power suddenly on a highway at 6#mph. Almost killed her.
Developed more CELs than a mall's Christmas tree. We might've spent more time in loaners, maybe...
Cost $60k new, 20k miles and less than a year later, $30k value. A base jeep Wrangler costs $23k, and will trade $21k, ceteris paribus.
If anyone says land rovers can offroad, then a speed bump must make them piss themselves. It isn't even a joke, it's a tragic shame.
It's no mystery, but Jag/Rover have monkeys as engineers. 4k+ lbs, econocar chassis'd SUV powered by a 2l baby turbo? It's no wonder less than 20% of them made can still drive about. Absolute shit.
Did i say it was garbage?

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
My mother's Range Rover Evoque. Top of the line, every option. Garbage.

Went through... Six (6) fuel pumps in an area her Ferrari roared happily with the same gas.
Lost electrical power suddenly on a highway at 6#mph. Almost killed her.
Developed more CELs than a mall's Christmas tree. We might've spent more time in loaners, maybe...
Cost $60k new, 20k miles and less than a year later, $30k value. A base jeep Wrangler costs $23k, and will trade $21k, ceteris paribus.
If anyone says land rovers can offroad, then a speed bump must make them piss themselves. It isn't even a joke, it's a tragic shame.
It's no mystery, but Jag/Rover have monkeys as engineers. 4k+ lbs, econocar chassis'd SUV powered by a 2l baby turbo? It's no wonder less than 20% of them made can still drive about. Absolute shit.
Did i say it was garbage?
Every review of all cars reliability seems to have Land Rovers at the very bottom. I had a friend that bought one....I mentioned this to him and he got upset. Said it was a good car....(new car)....but later it was bought back through the Lemon Law here in the US. I didn't feel like saying I told you so after that...rubbing salt in the wound doesn't help friends to stay friends ;)

But still.....that old Dodge van I talked about above didn't do so well either....but it had an excuse....it was bought used.

Registered
VW Golf V 1.9 diesel. Interior trim, crankshaft, turbo, belts of various kinds, airco... what a disaster. Ditched it after 2 years.

Registered
Hate to say it, but... My mom's Alfasud sprint, which disintegrated in a cloud of rust after a few years. The Giulia my dad was riding in in the '70s where the rear windshield exploded for no good reason, leaving the passenger in the back covered in glass shards, is also a strong contender.

Registered
Bought a new Elise S back in 2012.
problems:

-Doors would not close anymore. The button to open the door was stuck on both sides. (slammed the crap out of it)
-TRD airbox popping open all the time
-interiourligths (speedo,.....) all went out.
-bad 1st,3th and reverse synchro's.
-dayligths falling out when driving
-ordered 2 of those Elises. The first one Lotus f+cked up the racing striping by a CUTTING BLADE on the panels! They were swapping the panels from another Elise onto mine to cover their mistake....So they ordered me another new one (went beastmode). Again 8 months of waiting!!
Drove it 1000km from my home to the Lotusshop. Dumped the car in the shop and bougth myself a old Opel Speedster instead.

I do love Lotus but the Lotusshops in Belgium just suck....

Registered
I had a 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit convertible. Overheated all the time (could drive at low rpm in 5th gear with no coolant in a pinch). Brake failures, electrical gremlins all around. It was cheap, and my kids liked riding in it, but I did not really expect it to be very good after paying $1,000 to buy it from a coworker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts