Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was checking @Alfa9 Supply today and I saw Quicksilver has modified the exhaust they originally made for Alfaworks. It now has valves so you can have it's resonator engaged or not engaged. The price is fantastic compared to other valved exhausts!

There is nothing on the Quicksilver website about the 4C exhaust that uses their Sound Architect module. The following link talks about the module even more than the video.

Has anyone used this yet? Thinking off the top of my head, I wonder if the exhaust affects back pressure negatively since it appears to essentially have only one pipe when the valve is closed. Also, I wonder if the open/closed setting can be set to auto? The video linked to on Matt's website only shows Bluetooth control only affecting off and on. Lastly, it would be interesting and good to know how it sounds compared to the original resonated Quicksilver 4C exhaust.

UPDATE:. Design features later confirmed:

a) Slight left side and right side tubing diameter variance preserve the helmholtz harmonic effect, so there is no drone whether the valve is open or closed.

b) Closed side running preserves the 4C's original exit tube diameter of 60mm I.D. to maintain proper gas speeds and not add back pressure. (Similar to running a center exit style, just exiting off center). That suggests this exhaust doesn't alter back pressure (for good or for bad).

c) The resonator side is 100% open, no baffle for best sound and best flow.

d) For anyone looking at powering the 12v supply for the Sound Architect module (to control the valva) within the engine bay, use slot F87 in the fusebox. It's highlighted in the next photo.

e) There is a button on the side of the Sound Architect module to manually change the valve position. This came up because the intended way to do it is via the Sound Architect app on your phone, but over time Quicksilver may stop supporting that app, or Bluetooth protocols may change.

f) The exhaust setting on the Sound Architect app allows one to select either Open and Closed... and that won't change. I've been told the 4C electronics don't allow for automated switching between modes.

g) Here is Quicksilver's YouTube video of the exhaust installed....

h) User @FLORO confirmed there is no drone whether the valve is open or closed. It just affects volume and sound character.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
I have a question regarding the photo used in the description of the Helmholtz exhaust on the Alfa9 site. The y tube on the Alfa9 site is different to my Quicksilver Helmholtz and the one on the Alfaworks website (which is the same as mine). I was going to say that the Alfaworks exhaust is essentially makes the 4C exhaust a 4 into 1 system with the second exhaust outlet being only for sound tuning not an exhaust gas pathway. I can see this clearly on my exhaust from the amount of soot I have to clean from the left exhaust tip (caked in soot) compared to the right (essentially clean). I was going to say a valve in this second outlet would have no effect on exhaust pressure as ridding exhaust gases is not it’s job. However, the photo on the Alfa9 site shows a completely different y-tube which would certainly affect exhaust speed, back pressure and exhaust efficiency. Good question Jagman, what’s going on here? Is the photo on the Alfa9 site correct or has there been a redesign? (Personally, I wouldn’t think so as the efficiency of the original is without question with its smooth shallow curves.)
The first photo is of the Alfaworks Helmholtz exhaust that I’m familiar with. The second is from the Alfa9 site. Notice the different y-tube and curve angles of the two exhausts.
Edit: Yes a NEW exhaust design. My error.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a question regarding the photo used in the description of the Helmholtz exhaust on the Alfa9 site. The y tube on the Alfa9 site is different to my Quicksilver Helmholtz and the one on the Alfaworks website (which is the same as mine). I was going to say that the Alfaworks exhaust is essentially makes the 4C exhaust a 4 into 1 system with the second exhaust outlet being only for sound tuning not an exhaust gas pathway. I can see this clearly on my exhaust from the amount of soot I have to clean from the left exhaust tip (caked in soot) compared to the right (essentially clean). I was going to say a valve in this second outlet would have no effect on exhaust pressure as ridding exhaust gases is not it’s job. However, the photo on the Alfa9 site shows a completely different y-tube which would certainly affect exhaust speed, back pressure and exhaust efficiency. Good question Jagman, what’s going on here? Is the photo on the Alfa9 site correct or has there been a redesign? (Personally, I wouldn’t think so as the efficiency of the original is without question with its smooth shallow curves.)
The first photo is of the Alfaworks Helmholtz exhaust that I’m familiar with. The second is from the Alfa9 site. Notice the different y-tube and curve angles of the two exhausts.
What I find interesting in the new one it seems like the exhaust is just as like to go out one side as it is the other. Obviously one side has the resonator and the other doesn't, yet the only side with the valve is the one with the resonator. Wouldn't it make sense to have two valves? Open the one without the resonator and it's raw, open the other and its quiet, open both and it's refined (like the one you have).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Alfanut Also, if you look at the link to the Supersprint website, it talks about a lot of things likely not used in the 4C version (like augmenting the sound via the stereo). One would think it's able to connect to the vehicle via OBD2 but that's not referenced well on either website.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Jim that first one has 90° of gases out one side, the muffler would do some resonating has I know you say it has eliminated any drowning. The second is a better design due to its centre exit .

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Sorry, I’ve been at the beach all day, being the Australia Day long weekend, having a surf. A very Aussie thing to do. Just got home. The upshot is the responses that I made from my phone while there didn’t successfully post. Bugger. I’ll repost when I’m able. Time for a beer.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Looks like it is a redesign by Quicksilver. I’d like to see where the valve is located and whether that is a resonator or a muffler in the photo. Do the exhaust gases travel along one path or the other or, with the valve open, travel via both paths? It would be appreciated if Jamie could describe the internals of this valved system and where the exhaust gases are directed on activation of the valve so as to aid understanding and avoid speculation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it is a redesign by Quicksilver. I’d like to see where the valve is located and whether that is a resonator or a muffler in the photo. Do the exhaust gases travel along one path or the other or, with the valve open, travel via both paths? It would be appreciated if Jamie could describe the internals of this valved system and where the exhaust gases are directed on activation of the valve so as to aid understanding and avoid speculation.
I put the OP on one of the 4C FB groups and Jamie replied saying it's 103dB in open mode and just as free flowing as a straight pipe. In quiet mode it's a full 15dB quieter. That suggests this is a muffler and that flow is reduced when the valve is closed. We still don't have clarification on how sophisticated the app control is or might become. I'd love hear more about that, how it actually sounds (is the sound nuanced like in the original) as well as more details on the internal dynamics that you referenced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt from @Alfa9 Supply responded in the thread on FB as follows:

"Hi All, Thanks for the questions... I've had a detailed conversation with the engineer at Quicksilver and Jamie @AW. There are numerous behind the scene design factors at play here to get the best flow rates, reduce back pressure, give the best sound tone, and to kill off the drone.

I'll highlight a few of them for you here:
a) Slight left side and right side tubing diameter variance diameters preserve the helmholtz harmonic effect, so there is no drone open or closed

b) Closed side running preserves the 4C's original exit tube diameter of 60mm I.D. to maintain proper gas speeds and not add back pressure. (Similar to running a center exit style, just exiting off center)

c) Resonator side is 100% open, no baffle for best sound, best flow

d) Valve control can be hardwired"

*** This is great news!!! I think I've found my next exhaust .

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Matt from @Alfa9 Supply responded in the thread on FB as follows:

"Hi All, Thanks for the questions... I've had a detailed conversation with the engineer at Quicksilver and Jamie @AW. There are numerous behind the scene design factors at play here to get the best flow rates, reduce back pressure, give the best sound tone, and to kill off the drone.

I'll highlight a few of them for you here:
a) Slight left side and right side tubing diameter variance diameters preserve the helmholtz harmonic effect, so there is no drone open or closed

b) Closed side running preserves the 4C's original exit tube diameter of 60mm I.D. to maintain proper gas speeds and not add back pressure. (Similar to running a center exit style, just exiting off center)

c) Resonator side is 100% open, no baffle for best sound, best flow

d) Valve control can be hardwired"

*** This is great news!!! I think I've found my next exhaust .
Thanks jagman, excellent information. Thanks for the sleuthing. Another quality product from Quicksilver-Jamie.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think that this is the same exhaust as Jamie announced 2 months ago in this thread, no?

Yes. I didn't see that thread before I created this one. It just makes more sense to have a more searchable title for the product (that's why I missed the last one). Plus that thread was just a teaser... this one has more meat and potatoes.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Yes. I didn't see that thread before I created this one. It just makes more sense to have a more searchable title for the product (that's why I missed the last one). Plus that thread was just a teaser... this one has more meat and potatoes.
Agreed. There was no follow-up. I’d forgotten completely.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I want the valve to be mapped to engine rpm and throttle position like the big boys. If theres a plug and play setup like that for us, link please!

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
You’ll probably be waiting for quite some time.
I had the idea of using a cheap standalone programmable ECU as a dedicated exhaust bypass controller.
A wire from the ignition and one from the throttle body to it would do. Then it just needs 12v and wring to the valve.
The rest is down to the ECU mapping software on a laptop or whatever.

Just to see, I spoke to Quicksilver earlier and before I said it, the fella suggested doing exactly that.
After that conversation, he convinced me that manually operating it wasn't so much hassle so I'm not going to bother for now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the idea of using a cheap standalone programmable ECU as a dedicated exhaust bypass controller.
A wire from the ignition and one from the throttle body to it would do. Then it just needs 12v and wring to the valve.

Just to see, I spoke to Quicksilver earlier and before I said it, the fella suggested doing exactly that.
After that conversation, he convinced me that manually operating it wasn't so much hassle so I'm not going to bother for now.
To me one of the main reasons for having the valve connected to the ECU is to avoid drone in the lower RPM (e.g. maybe the valve would closed below 2,500 RPM and open above that). If this exhaust really doesn't drone with the valve either opened or closed, then I don't mind a manual switch (via Bluetooth). It would be nice if there is an option to do it thu a remote control and not have to do it thu the phone. In lieu of that one could control it from an Android head unit.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts

But I don’t see the point. Either you need quiet due to your surroundings (neighbourhood, residential area, in town ) or you don’t. Just because you pass some rpm threshold you want noise doesn’t make sense to me. Saying that, all power to you to achieve what you want.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts