Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm still not sure about the steering wheel which is derived from the Abarth parts bin, and I would have preferred proper gearshift paddles rather than the little plastic buttons. At first I thought the car didn't have air conditioning but there is a separate toggle switch for AC, why they didn't use the heating controls from a Giulietta I don't know as the ones shown look out of place. The seats look nice. Doesn't appear to be a glovebox. Is the radio unit an aftermarket one - don't recognise what it is, maybe its touchscreen.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
sotoole said:
Doesn't appear to be a glovebox. Is the radio unit an aftermarket one - don't recognise what it is, maybe its touchscreen.
It's a Parrot Android Classic. Looks good in the specs, reviews prove otherwise. The only reason we think it's in the 4C is because it doesn't weigh very much and the depth is very shallow.

I've yet to read a good review. Apparently it takes too long to boot up, crashes constantly, firmware issues....and the negativity continues. There is a beta version of firmware 2 available. Beta anything is never good news, yet alone with an outdated version of Android (v1.5).
[hr]
[hr]
Oh. And there isn't a glovebox.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The hifi upgrade is only related to a few speakers..... I have upgraded but I hope I can change the stupid parrot system!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hopefully Parrot will have fixed all the issues by the time the 4C arrives? It's only taken them a year to get to BETA v2.0 of the firmware. I don't have an issue with the head unit (it does everything I want), just the apparent bugs!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quick question. Are the paddles integrated into the steering wheel or on the steering column? I ask because I detest the current wheel and it would make things easier to simply find a replacement wheel rather than a wheel w/ paddles as well.

Thx.

·
Registered
446 Posts
They are attached to the steering wheel like on most cars unfortunately.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Better driving?

As for changing the steering wheel doesn't it create a problem for insurance (as you remove the airbag) and warranty?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you have the sports exhaust, I would recommend the "delete radio" option. You can't hear it anyway. Less weight and more room for sunglasses and tictacs.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hopefully Parrot will have fixed all the issues by the time the 4C arrives? It's only taken them a year to get to BETA v2.0 of the firmware. I don't have an issue with the head unit (it does everything I want), just the apparent bugs!!!
There's been a firmware upgrade that stops the bugs. At least it did on mine. It also erases the Alfa logo. Apart from that, it has a seriously slow processor and android 1.5
But above all I regret not deleting it since we are basically sitting in front of an engine, without exhaust to speak off and no sound dampening. Radio is a non-topic unless standing still with engine switched off. :p

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Does the radio unit (Parrot or other brand) offer anything other than music. I'm not "up" on current radios. I see people doing all kinds of things with theirs, like GPS map and back-up camera. Is there any other reason in the 4C except while parked to have a radio?

·
Registered
245 Posts
There's been a firmware upgrade that stops the bugs. At least it did on mine. It also erases the Alfa logo. Apart from that, it has a seriously slow processor and android 1.5
But above all I regret not deleting it since we are basically sitting in front of an engine, without exhaust to speak off and no sound dampening. Radio is a non-topic unless standing still with engine switched off. :p
I'm really not that unhappy (have an ipod connected, but the radio is ok as well). And that coming from 10-speaker Bose in 911. It's not great, don't get me wrong, but it's ok in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
An Android radio can in principle do anything an Android phone can do (although some may require rooting). So also assisted GPS. Plus the 4C is wired for sound with a neat little mike, and has three input connectors plus an SD card slot.

Big issues on that extra functionality: you need to bluetooth-pair it with your phone to have internet connection, and you need to have internet connection to use the satnav apps etc. Which in itself was a reasonable idea. However the Parrot classic in the 4C is at the level of a 2009 phone. If you have a 2014 phone that will be working faster, have better software and a bigger screen...

Car manufacturers are not really in tune with the fact that phone models and technology change faster than car models ;)

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
New cars typically come with cheap radios, no matter how expensive the car is.
So, in order for this to work well, I would need a radio better than OEM and a phone better than my current: flip-phone-talk-only. Maybe I should spend some time in a few new car dealers or a car stereo shop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts