Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exciting stuff... Lol.

Like many others on here in the past for previous cars I've ordered euro visors to get rid of those literally in your face airbag warning labels.

I took a look around (maybe not hard enough?) for euro 4c visors, but the prices I found were in the multiple $100's. It's not worth that much to me.

So yesterday I did my 1st non-reversible mod. 馃檮

I did not want to add a joke sticker, nor a sticker of "almost matching" black, so I experimented a bit.

First I tried some krylon plastic/pvc spray. It was ok, but ended up being too smooth of a finish and a bit too fake looking for my taste.

So then I grabbed a can of spray rubber sealant
Brown Liquid Drink Paint Bottle

and after 2 light coats and a few passes with a 1200 grit 3m pad to remove any spots of sheen, I ended up with
Grass Font Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Flowerpot

Material property Auto part Automotive tire Font Rectangle

I may do 1 more light coat, but already I'm happy with the clean look, and the resulting colour is extremely close. The texture, while not a perfect match for the flip side, feels and looks good to me. The fact that these visors are so small helps the slightly inconsistent finish look acceptable.

Now for the passenger side...

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
You hit on a sore point for me. These stupid labels really are ugly and I would love to get rid of them also. I was hoping at some point one of our vendors (hi Lars) would come up with a sleeve to go over the existing ones. A sleeve would allow us to go back to original if the car is sold down the road.

Reactions: KarlB

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good work, and great information on the product.

Any smell from this?
Thanks.

Re smell, so far after approx 20 hours of curing I can only get a very slight hint of scent coming off the visor when I have it right in front of me. Product says curing takes 24 hours. But for sure I'll report back on this once visors are back in car and windows are sealed for a few hours.

If this doesn't work out then I think my next attempt would be plastikote wrinkle finish. I don't give up easily.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You hit on a sore point for me. These stupid labels really are ugly and I would love to get rid of them also. I was hoping at some point one of our vendors (hi Lars) would come up with a sleeve to go over the existing ones. A sleeve would allow us to go back to original if the car is sold down the road.
Yes, I was hesitant about a permanent mod, but then I figured worse case I'd buy replacements from somewhere if I ever decided to sell and the buyer was that critical about the visors.

I put it back in place and (to me) against the dark headliner the finish/texture looks like something original. I really think someone would have to be looking closely for this to notice anything off.

I read the thread from a few years ago about sleeve idea - seems like a good idea, but I guess nothing came available...?

Registered

This is what most people I know use for anything on the interior of their car that they want to be black. It is specifically for painting interior parts and supposedly matches most factory "black" interiors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is what most people I know use for anything on the interior of their car that they want to be black. It is specifically for painting interior parts and supposedly matches most factory "black" interiors.
Great tip! That looks like a proper solution. I may have just got lucky re picking a sealant spray that matches so well. If after completely curing it doesn't work out then I may try that SEM interior paint.

The one nice thing I like about the rubbery sealant I used is the texture and feel. Just feels right. Maybe the SEM is similar - Krylon plastic spray did not look or feel nice imo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One other point for anyone thinking about it...

Whatever spray is used it needs to go on thicker than typical paint. With the krylon paint I tried first it was typical thin film paint, but even after 2 coats I could still see the slight embossing effect of the silk-screened label underneath. It would have taken many coats and sandings to hide this well. This is another reason why I jumped onto the idea of something that layers on a bit thicker and completely hides the underlying label textures.

Registered
Hello all and thank you @John74Berlina and @flyt100 i have over a dozen pairs out there already covered in alcantara and in johns case with leather., these units are hand stitched so they can be reversed, not sure why you would want to reverse them, however due to the 1 piece design that Alfa made its not a good idea to seperate the visors to cover them. The hand stitched section faces the windsheild so its not visible when you are in your vehicle and obviously not from the outside due to the roof line design. Ive also been approving my design for the visors maybe @Cylinder Head could post pics of the unit i made for his car. The solution is out tjere my friends and im glad to take care of it for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some pics of example @lars visors would be appreciated! I have centre console on list of things to upgrade, but it sounds like matching visors need to be added.

For now though, to give my wallet a chance to fatten up again, my cheapie all black textured-finish visor "upgrade" for $15 will have to do. Beau's engine cover was my most recent expense.

... still toying with the idea of white seat belt upgrade. :unsure: :D

Registered
Some pics of example @lars visors would be appreciated! I have centre console on list of things to upgrade, but it sounds like matching visors need to be added.

For now though, to give my wallet a chance to fatten up again, my cheapie all black textured-finish visor "upgrade" for $15 will have to do. Beau's engine cover was my most recent expense.

... still toying with the idea of white seat belt upgrade. :unsure: :D
Do the white seat belts, than we can do a bi-colored console white and black learher . Ill send pics of visors when i get in, unless @flyt100 can shoot over some pictures now

Reactions: KarlB

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@lars, I think you want to turn my interior into a vehicular version of Liberace! Or maybe older Elvis? :D ;)

Lol... But yeah, we'll get to something unique for sure... Bit by bit.

Registered
Found it easier to just go with the big guy for pillars, front interior top and sunshades in alcantara material.

Center console was done in leather with the 3 parts under the dash in black alcantara.

Light Hood Bicycle handlebar Automotive design Automotive tire

Edit to add a more complete image of interior. These are older crappy images that were still on phone.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Car seat cover

1 - 20 of 30 Posts