Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right internet detectives, I need your help. The backstory here is that I previously tried to buy a local 4C (clean Carfax), but I took it for a PPI because some of the panels were misaligned (and also because you always should), and indeed the car had been in an accident. I didn't go through with the purchase, but the 4C bug has bitten me. There is nothing around me but it popped up on Carvana, of all places, and I'd like to buy it but it has the same kind of panel misalignment I saw in the earlier one (that little blade on the end of the front quarter panel that normally sits flush with the top front edge of the door):

Here's the other side, perfectly flush, for comparison:

Should I be worried about that? Carfax is clean but my trust in Carfax is now broken.

And bonus question, what the heck is this white strip underneath the front end? Shouldn't this be black?

Thanks for any insight you guys might have!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
The panel you are asking about is very normal to have that kind of deviation from the factory. I think Mario sometimes enjoyed a glass of wine at lunch and brought a che cazzo mindset to his panel alignment duties.

That said, the strip under the bumper should be black and that would put me off that car personally. Bizarre to see that white. I have never seen that white nor heard of anyone painting that white. It suggests something suspicious IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
9,407 Posts
The panel you are asking about is very normal to have that kind of deviation from the factory. I think Mario sometimes enjoyed a glass of wine at lunch and brought a che cazzo mindset to his panel alignment duties.

That said, the strip under the bumper should be black and that would put me off that car personally. Bizarre to see that white. I have never seen that white nor heard of anyone painting that white. It suggests something suspicious IMHO.
Agreed. Panel misalignment is no big deal as panels are regularly removed for maintenance but the white paint on the rubber underside strip has me extremely suspicious as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the feedback so far -- they do have a return policy so I can get it inspected, though I dread going through the additional hassle of arranging delivery, trading in my old car, and lining up financing, only to return it in the end. I guess in the meantime if anyone wants to unload a late-model coupe, PM me!

·
Registered
310 Posts
That panel has always bugged me. I think it’s normal. One side is worse than the other on my car.
This is all very reassuring lol

I really thought my car was the only one with that panel problem but as John mentioned that bottom lip should be black and raises a good question about a respray or paint job.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the nose of the car is chip free or you can find a chip under a fresh respray, then the painted rubber strips were just a respray oversight and no big deal. Mine will need that sooner or later (and I'll ask them to mask those out). And like others have said, these cars should have the panel alignment of a 1st year c3 'vette. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
If this car is the 2017 white coupe with 11,398 miles on Carvana, the listing now shows a purchase is pending. If so MaxJeg your concerns are mute. Move on and good luck finding your 4C.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
I agree with decatur, someone touched up the inevitable scraping of the underside of the nose (under the triangle grille) and got white paint on the air dam. Rather than clean or replace that piece, they painted it all white. Be glad they didn't remove the rubber piece instead!

The front fender/hood/door alignment is not a problem. Even if they appear perfectly lined up from one perspective, moving over a few feet can make them look out of whack anyhow.

I wouldn't sweat either of these, unless you find something else that points to further damage.

And remember...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh🤑, the car is local to me, I'm in Houston , if you want a PPI done you could take it to my mechanic who I trust and has worked on several 4C, PM me if you want his contact info.
Wait, how do you know where the car is located? What a nice offer, I will see if they allow anything like that prior to actual delivery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with decatur, someone touched up the inevitable scraping of the underside of the nose (under the triangle grille) and got white paint on the air dam. Rather than clean or replace that piece, they painted it all white. Be glad they didn't remove the rubber piece instead!

The front fender/hood/door alignment is not a problem. Even if they appear perfectly lined up from one perspective, moving over a few feet can make them look out of whack anyhow.

I wouldn't sweat either of these, unless you find something else that points to further damage.

And remember...
Haha, did you notice that says "pre owed"? Or maybe that's not a typo, it is Aston Martin after all.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
Haha, did you notice that says "pre owed"? Or maybe that's not a typo, it is Aston Martin after all.
It "says" something? Didn't look that far!
Yes, well known faux pas on the internet, but I still liked the idea for this thread. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the nose of the car is chip free or you can find a chip under a fresh respray, then the painted rubber strips were just a respray oversight and no big deal. Mine will need that sooner or later (and I'll ask them to mask those out). And like others have said, these cars should have the panel alignment of a 1st year c3 'vette. ;)
Is it possible to tell the difference between "respray to clean up rock chips" and "respray because you rear ended a prius"?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts