Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hot and humid here now in the mid-atlantic region and I've been running the AC regularly.

I've noticed that when I accelerate quickly or turn abruptly (any time I build up some g's) water pours out from under the dash down by the footwells.

I suspect it's condensation from the AC, but this is a serious amount of water. It saturated the passenger floor mat! This never happened last summer so I"m assuming some sort of clogged drainage hole, but I wanted to check here before I took it in for service.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A standard feature on Italian cars, the passenger foot-bath has for some reason failed to be embraced by the American market...
Have had this on several Fiats in the past, and as the 4C uses the aircon controls from a 2002 Punto, it's very likely that you got the foot-bath as part of the package.

In my case there was a drain hose that was sometimes long enough to disperse the water as intended, but at other times would collect where it shouldn't.
I suspect you're right about the aircon, but it could be a misplaced hose from movement/vibration/shrinkage rather than a blockage.

Haven't had the issue with our 4C yet, but our summer climate also gets pretty humid, so a report back in your outcome would be useful to have on record.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
14,907 Posts
This sounds like what others have expereinced - condensation accumulates in a recess in the tub beneath the front of the centre console and slops out during aggressive maneuvers. But it is curious why it started this year. I don't use the AC much, so I'm no benchmark and have no experience with this problem.

You and fourcnz are likley on the right track with a blocked or disconnected drain hose. Alternately, perhaps insufficient insulation on the cold freon line causing condensation on the pipe to drip off.

Sounds like something that the dealership can/will help you with.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have to believe there is a TSB for this? Also, hopefully it's been addressed in later builds. He (the guy in the video) wasn't kidding when he said a lot of water!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have to believe there is a TSB for this? Also, hopefully it's been addressed in later builds. He (the guy in the video) wasn't kidding when he said a lot of water!
You would hope so, but sometimes I think an issue like this can slip under the radar.
I think there are some climatic markets (hi 4Canada!) and owner inclinations, like avoiding the power drop that mean even a common problem may not manifest for all cars as plenty of drivers don't use the aircon much.
If you need both an accumulation of water (long or frequent drive in humid weather to get a big puddle) and vigorous maneuvering, it could be quite rare.

At least the tub is very easy to dry off. The underfloor matting in the Fiat was a massive job to remove and dry out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well hopefully with as many that are out and about in the states, let's hope it's been resolved. I can tell you I've already used the AC a handful of times in the month I've had mine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I haven't seen any water issues but since I drive with the top down most of the time, the crappy AC isn't an issue for me. Alex on autos also said the AC in the spider was weak... Typical Italian AC (an asthmatic blowing through a straw was how Clarckson described Italian AC). You should still have the issue addressed at a dealership even if you take the floor mats out since water in the system could allow for mold to grow (you don't want spores blowing in your face when you use the AC or heating). I did use the heating in April.. It work well enough.

·
Registered
454 Posts
@brucewinter Thanks for chiming in. I just read through your LE history thread and it looks like Alfa correctly diagnosed your cabin water source as coming from the AC system just like the Italian guy in the video. Hopefully, this has been rectified in later builds. If not, at least a few cars have had this diagnosed. So, a defined solution appears to exist now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine has been doing this since day one, it's not just condensation, it's the same when it rains. basically the AC unit has not been sealed well to the tub.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has been doing this since day one, it's not just condensation, it's the same when it rains. basically the AC unit has not been sealed well to the tub.
After last strong rain I've got driver's side foot bath full of water. A rain before that made a passenger side full of water.

Not having any dealers nearby I now have to search for leaks myself.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just posted about this as well - my Spider did it once so far. I drove 300 miles with the top on and AC blowing and no issues. The next day I had the top off and was sitting in the 100 degree heat (car was idling while I was waiting on someone). Condensation occurred around all of the vents and when I finally drove off and made some turns my shins got a bath. For me it just could be an issue of condensation without airflowing (just sitting and idling) or it could be a drain plug issue. I'll post if it happens again.

James

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had the same issue come up twice in the last few weeks after owning the car for almost 2 years. In both instances I was accelerating aggressively and making a sharp turn or jolt only to feel a moderate splash of water on my feet. Unfortunately I've had a couple horrible service experiences with the Fiat dealership in Austin, TX and I've been avoiding them ever since. Would appreciate any updates people have on the matter. Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just posted about this as well - my Spider did it once so far. I drove 300 miles with the top on and AC blowing and no issues. The next day I had the top off and was sitting in the 100 degree heat (car was idling while I was waiting on someone). Condensation occurred around all of the vents and when I finally drove off and made some turns my shins got a bath. For me it just could be an issue of condensation without airflowing (just sitting and idling) or it could be a drain plug issue. I'll post if it happens again.

James
James check out a thread titled "water leak", last post on 13 June 2016, page 5 by "Robben" indicates his problem was caused by blocked drainage valve in aircon unit box under the front bonnet /hood. Fixed by removing and disposing of the rubber valve.....

This is reffering to the leak caused by using the aircon, but the thread also covers leaks occurring when raining or the car is washed, caused by poor seals around the windscreen wiper motor.....

Reactions: James33

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a couple of drops falling on my passenger side today in Dallas. Looks like condensation. I will continue to check it or look at the suggestion in this post.

·
Registered
43 Posts
James check out a thread titled "water leak", last post on 13 June 2016, page 5 by "Robben" indicates his problem was caused by blocked drainage valve in aircon unit box under the front bonnet /hood. Fixed by removing and disposing of the rubber valve.....

This is reffering to the leak caused by using the aircon, but the thread also covers leaks occurring when raining or the car is washed, caused by poor seals around the windscreen wiper motor.....

I had this problem. My dealer replaced the AC Block Plate? I will check the repair and post it.

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
39 Posts
Does anyone know the exact location of the AC condensate blocking valve? We just put over 1,000 miles on our 4C in early July and probably leaked two gallons on condensate on both the passenger and driver side floors. Floor mats are soaked and out drying in the sun right now but I want to resolve this issue. Any help from someone who has actually solved the AC drain issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,060 Posts
Does anyone know the exact location of the AC condensate blocking valve? We just put over 1,000 miles on our 4C in early July and probably leaked two gallons on condensate on both the passenger and driver side floors. Floor mats are soaked and out drying in the sun right now but I want to resolve this issue. Any help from someone who has actually solved the AC drain issue would be greatly appreciated.
Have a search of Mateus’ posts. I remember he supplied photographs too. As I recall, it’s a bonnet off job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts