Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I displayed my 4c at a local Italian festival this weekend. It was fun. 4 Alfas, several Ferraris and a Lamborghini. Big crowd. The 4c was the crowd favorite.
When I got home, I noticed the back was dirty. Nothing crazy. But now I have water spots that I cannot get off! I think the sprinklers must have been on and hit the back.
I’ve tried vinegar, clay bar, and cleaner. I always keep my cars clean, but I’ve never been a “detailer.” Now I’m at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Vinegar does a good job but sometimes you need to let it sit a little. Place a white vinegar soaked rag on a spot and let it sit a little bit. The minerals can be permanently etched in your paint, in which case a paint correction may be needed. The minerals are harder than clear coat, so if you didn't let vinegar sit a bit, definitely worth another try.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts

Product Font Rectangle Electric blue Transparency

Try white vinegar first.

Follow-up with a sealant/wax/protectant that is better than whatever crap you're using.

Sprinklers can often be riddled with iron deposits. If this fails, then follow-up with this below (although BOTH products are in regular use 'round my house. Iron remover amazing on wheels as regular cleaner.)

Liquid Fluid Purple Violet Bottle

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Watching to see how this goes. My first reaction was you need to machine polish that out (really easy to do) but I’m curious if you can get it without a machine.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,844 Posts
To remove water spots use Bar Keepers friend SOFT cleanser in gold bottle. Works great. Do not use the Chemical Guys product listed above..or at least read the reviews at Amazon first. If you have white vinegar around the house try that also first....soak but don't rub real hard or you can leave swirls. For glass a Magic Eraser works wonders especially to remove that scum on the inside of your windows that comes from the outgassing of the plastics, upholstery, etc. inside the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
To remove water spots use Bar Keepers friend SOFT cleanser in gold bottle. Works great. Do not use the Chemical Guys product listed above..or at least read the reviews at Amazon first. If you have white vinegar around the house try that also first....soak but don't rub real hard or you can leave swirls. For glass a Magic Eraser works wonders especially to remove that scum on the inside of your windows that comes from the outgassing of the plastics, upholstery, etc. inside the car.
😳
Bar keeper's friend? I would be extremely hesitant and cautious. I've seen what it can clean and it is abrasive. You could always try on another car first. Have you tried this before?

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,844 Posts
😳
Bar keeper's friend? I would be extremely hesitant and cautious. I've seen what it can clean and it is abrasive. You could always try on another car first. Have you tried this before?
This version is NOT the abrasive one used to clean sinks. I have seen several people that use this and recommend for removing water spots...especially on glass windows. Note this version is specified as SOFT cleanser. I use the more abrasive version all the time in my kitchen though....it is very good.

·
Registered
882 Posts
This version is NOT the abrasive one used to clean sinks. I have seen several people that use this and recommend for removing water spots...especially on glass windows. Note this version is specified as SOFT cleanser. I use the more abrasive version all the time in my kitchen though....it is very good.
Huh. Who knew? I am going to have to try this. On my kids' car first 😉

·
Registered
471 Posts
Watching to see how this goes. My first reaction was you need to machine polish that out (really easy to do) but I’m curious if you can get it without a machine.
He might be able to get away with polish and the hand polish pads i use. If its just 2 spots. But you are correct as i have the same color 4c and had water spots from my home well water and i tried the mentioned water spot remover with little improvement. My car had to be machine polished as there were too many to do by hand. I use bottled spring water now to wash my 4c.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
The minerals left behind are harder than the clear coat. Polishing out the minerals will thin the clear coat. Be very careful.
Precisely ^^

I always go this route:

Dissolve all the minerals/metals first. I mean, go ahead and polish away, but you're grinding in the minerals/metals and removing what is already one of the worst clear coats on any car in the past 20 years.

Dissolving the deposits might get you all the results needed, with no damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts