Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
$12k for a 4C transmission? More than a Porsche PDK? Wow, a few weeks ago Ebay had a new one for sale for $1700. I should have bought it and save it. I think eventually a transmission shop should be able to rebuilt one.
I can't believe this is the actual selling price of 4C transmission - it has ton of common parts with other FCA cars, probably exactly the same as some of them.
BTW the PDK is ~15,000$ new (for ~2010 Caymans/911s) which is hefty price too...

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
Mahjik is right - the clutch is a wear part and most warranties would except this just as they would brake pads or rotors (although I agree with RKBerta that this is not likely the OP's issue here).

The interesting part about proving whether a clutch replacement on the 4C is premature or not comes from the fact that it is degree of engagement is entirely computer-controlled. We cannot really feather the clutch to hill hold, or engage it so slowly as to cause extra wear.

Other than perhaps an excessive number of 6K launches, the car should really economize on clutch wear. There was a suggestion (that makes sense to me but let's not start that argument here again) that All Weather mode slips the clutch more than Natural or Dynamic/Race. I guess that could account for excessive wear, as could not stepping firmly enough on the brake whilst parked in gear. Or perhaps excessive shifts (treating the paddles like an X-box controller)?

·
Super Moderator
13,291 Posts
I can't believe this is the actual selling price of 4C transmission - it has ton of common parts with other FCA cars, probably exactly the same as some of them.
BTW the PDK is ~15,000$ new (for ~2010 Caymans/911s) which is hefty price too...
It's not the part but the LABOUR that will be the issue.
The dash replacement has been touted as a (going by memory but I think it was) four thousand dollar fix because you have to take the car half apart to swap it.
The leather dash itself probably costs $700 or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys my warranty was going to expire the end of December 2019. I purchased the extended warranty which is the same as the original but good for another 40k and or 3 more years. Let me know if you want info. Even if your 4c is out of warranty it might be covered via the plan but require a dealer inspection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tell me more! :D
Did alot of research and this is the real deal. After i got this my Alfa app updated the warranty status as indicated. Also called some local Alfa dealers and they said this is the warranty that they support.

This factory-backed, extended warranty Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans when you can buy at a discount from Zeigler Auto Group? Yes, the Dodge warranty cost, Jeep warranty cost, Ram warranty cost, Chrysler warranty cost, Fiat warranty cost and Alfa Romeo warranty cost will be much less using our Quick Quote system!

Our Internet sales system offers genuine extended warranty Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans, products of FCA US LLC (formerly Chrysler Group), at greatly discounted pricing. These are the same Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans and extended service warranties your local dealer may have offered you. New Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan extended warranties—Maximum Care, Added Care Plus and Powertrain Care Plus—are honored at all Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, Jeep and Fiat dealerships nationwide. For your peace of mind, there is a 100% Money-Back Guarantee within the first 60 days of purchase if you are not fully satisfied with your Mopar warranty. For the best service coverage at a low Chrysler extended warranty price, buy your Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan extended warranty online here at Zeigler Auto Group! Free financing options are available, and extended service warranties come with no sales tax. We even provide extensive Mopar warranties information so you can find the perfect warranty plan for you!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone have any experience making a claim / repair using the Mopar offering? How is the experience and ease of claim?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tell them to put the shield on while they are at it - even if it costs you (shouldn't be much while they are in there anyway).
Yes they ordered the shield too actually. I was getting pissed because my car has been in the shop for a week now. I was going through withdrawal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Early cars pre 2016 didn’t come with a weather shield over the TCM. Later cars do after issues of water ingress into the module. It’s like a small metallic roof or shade.
To confirm... the TCM is the rubber cover that flips over the battery?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Arrigo Alfa Romeo is an absolute garbage dealership. They took 2 weeks to fix my car and then misaligned the quarter panel. Plus since they are near a dirt road, my car was disgusting. I believe it also scratch my paint. I’m livid. I just got the car ceramic coated.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Alphaboy1, No, that’s just the battery cover.It’s a small aluminium plate that acts as a roof over the tcm. I‘m not at home at the moment, as you might deduce from the flag I’m flying below my Avatar, so I can’t provide a photo. I’m sure someone would be so kind as to post q photo of it.
Look at that, I’m now an Oesterreicher (sorry, can’t find the umlaut).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alphaboy1, No, that’s just the battery cover.It’s a small aluminium plate that acts as a roof over the tcm. I‘m not at home at the moment, as you might deduce from the flag I’m flying below my Avatar, so I can’t provide a photo. I’m sure someone would be so kind as to post a photo of it.
Look at that, I’m now an Oesterreicher (sorry, can’t find the umlaut).
Is there a part number someone can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arrigo Alfa Romeo is an absolute garbage dealership... I’m livid. I just got the car ceramic coated.
Dude, sorry this happened to you. I would raise hell to the service manager and get them to make things right. Don't let them attempt to wash the car, it will just make your ceramic coat worse.

I think one forum member said he brought a folding chair to the service bay and sat there the entire time -- hopefully it won't come down to that. :cautious:

41 - 60 of 65 Posts