Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard you guys in Canada and the States are going through -40 deg C extreme cold with -60 deg C wind chill. It’ll be +40deg C here today. That’s a temp difference of 100 deg C! That’s got to be some kind of record. Simultaneously too cold and too hot to enjoy our 4Cs. I’d rather be here. Beautiful beach weather.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
In the NW of USA it’s cold but relatively mild at about 30 F degrees during day. But as you know in the midwest it’s a real chiller. I feel for those folks!

But I t’s cold enough here and I live on a lake that I just bought a 2 seater Go-Kart thing I am modding into an ice carving Mad Max type thing with carbon steel studs in the tires. I figure now I’ll be able to practice my apexes in the winter that way. It’s really fun to go out on the ice on really cold clear nights as you can hear it cracking quite loudly. I’m also putting a bright lightbar and a bunch of LED lights on it so should be quite the show at night. I get it next week.
Here’s a picture of what it looks like stock and of what I’m going to make it look like a bit.
But ala 4C style I’m keeping it light weight around 600 pounds. I figured that would be a good idea being on the ice and all LOL.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,970 Posts
Hmnmm Mad CallMeAl

As far as temperature here in Michigan about 25 miles North of Detroit. it is -9 degrees F at 8:30pm Wind chill will take it down a lot lower. All schools, most businesses, mail delivery, etc. are shut down for a day or two. Saturday it will be back in 40s F and than same following week. This is the coldest it has been in 25 years although up to the last couple of days it has been warmest and least amount of snow in recorded history for December and January in Michigan... Go figure.

My buddy and his wife live in Australia where it is now Summer and he is complaining of the heat ;-)

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only you, CallMeAl! Decking it out in winter spiked ice tyres for the full effect, are you? Sounds like fun.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,970 Posts
Now down to -15 deg. F here in Michigan near Detroit at 11:10pm.

Emergency services said to set thermostats no higher than 65....I always keep mine at 63 so no problem....we like a cool house. The service said they are worried about gas demand outstripping ability to send through pipes. I also have electric space heaters if needed. Hope there aren't some homeless that weren't able to get indoors. They made a big push to get everyone off the street. I heard some cities were using city buses as traveling warming rooms.

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
-27C right now. Was -25C when I drove home last night, with a wind chill of -38C.

Those just seem like numbers, but to put it in perspective, I got my big truck stuck in an unexpected snowdrift at the end of my driveway,on a deserted and quickly drifing in rural road, after 8PM. The wind was just whipping around (grabbed the door out of my hands even though I was holding tight with two!) and it was painful to breath. Checked it out and the chassis was bottomed out. I keep a shovel in the back, but other than good gloves and an aviator cap I was in work clothes. It’s 1/4 mile walk to the house and probably more drifts so not sure if my wife can drive up to pick me up if I can even reach her (crummy cell service). Those temps do something to drifted snow, too - it becomes like concrete.

I’m not exaggerating that it could have quickly become a matter of life and death. I decided to dig, 2 minutes at a time then go into the truck and warm up for 3. Took 30 minutes to free the truck and with another 30’ of drifts ahead of me I stared at it for a long time. Would not have managed another dig, but I was way too cold to walk now. Eventually took a run at it and hauled through, no more big drifts on the rest of the laneway. But I shivered for hours afterward and my lungs are still burning.

Plus, I have to somehow start the tractor in these temps to clear the drift before we can get to work.

I’m thinking that getting stuck on a back country road might have been fatal last night. I have no idea how the homeless survive!

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
Horses water buckets were 5 gallon popsicles this morning, despite adding a kettle full of boiling water to each at 9:00 last night.
That’s inside a closed barn!

Meanwhile, in Chicago, rail crews have taken to drastic measures to keep switch gear from freezing up...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A bitterly cold 65F/18C today. I may have to get a flannel shirt out of mothballs. And socks. Where are my socks? We'll get through it somehow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chicago here, north burbs. Got to around -22F last night. It might be 52F on Monday, but it will be raining, snow will be melting, and there is a ton of salt, gravel, and crap on the roads. So, the 4C will remain safe in my garage, under its car cover.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There has always been a debate about whether storing summer performance tires in below freezing temperature will damage the tires. I saw a number of new Corvettes parked outside at the local Chevy dealership in Toronto . I don't think they are on snow tires so I guess the answer is -25C temp won't cause damage?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There has always been a debate about whether storing summer performance tires in below freezing temperature will damage the tires. I saw a number of new Corvettes parked outside at the local Chevy dealership in Toronto . I don't think they are on snow tires so I guess the answer is -25C temp won't cause damage?
only when it suits the dealers. Lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
A bitterly cold 65F/18C today. I may have to get a flannel shirt out of mothballs. And socks. Where are my socks? We'll get through it somehow.
How I pitty you. So cold. Probably will hit low 70's today in Scottsdale. Might have to look for some sun screen.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
-27C right now. Was -25C when I drove home last night, with a wind chill of -38C.

I’m not exaggerating that it could have quickly become a matter of life and death. I decided to dig, 2 minutes at a time then go into the truck and warm up for 3. Took 30 minutes to free the truck and with another 30’ of drifts ahead of me I stared at it for a long time. Would not have managed another dig, but I was way too cold to walk now. Eventually took a run at it and hauled through, no more big drifts on the rest of the laneway. But I shivered for hours afterward and my lungs are still burning.

OMG 4Canada Reading your email this morning was chilling (no pun intended).
Having to make decisions like that in such dire circumstances can have fatal consequences if wrong one is made. You can just overlook one thing and that’s it!
Your story brought to mind the classic Jack London short story To Build a Fire.

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
Do they come with R-compound tires, or just high performance summer tires (similar to our P-Zero's)?
Tire Rack is pretty clear about R-comp's in sub-zero temps, and they aren't the only one who issue that warning.
I don't think that there is any risk of damaging the P-Zero's, though it'd be pretty ballsy to actually drive on them in -25 weather. Think of how well hockey pucks slide on ice!!!

But, these days with all sorts of new tire technology and materials, I don't even know if the traditional R-compound warning still applies. Or maybe it is more critical.
:huh:

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
OMG 4Canada Reading your email this morning was chilling (no pun intended).
Having to make decisions like that in such dire circumstances can have fatal consequences if wrong one is made. You can just overlook one thing and that’s it!
Your story brought to mind the classic Jack London short story To Build a Fire.
I was thinking more 'The Cremation of Sam McGee" (Robert Service).
There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee...

Yeah, it shows you how quickly things can get out of hand if you don't stay ahead of them - and in that bitter cold when you're shovelling hard and fighting to breathe, it's easy to lose control of a situation. Then you're cooked. Flight training, and even performance driving teach you the same principals, and can have the same consequences if you fail to stay ahead of the situation.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts