Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
567 Posts
In the Seattle area, this morning it was 50*, much warmer than the last few days of 35* temps. No snow or rain for the last week. It's been a mild winter so far.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,970 Posts
-27C right now. Was -25C when I drove home last night, with a wind chill of -38C.

Those just seem like numbers, but to put it in perspective, I got my big truck stuck in an unexpected snowdrift at the end of my driveway,on a deserted and quickly drifing in rural road, after 8PM. The wind was just whipping around (grabbed the door out of my hands even though I was holding tight with two!) and it was painful to breath. Checked it out and the chassis was bottomed out. I keep a shovel in the back, but other than good gloves and an aviator cap I was in work clothes. It’s 1/4 mile walk to the house and probably more drifts so not sure if my wife can drive up to pick me up if I can even reach her (crummy cell service). Those temps do something to drifted snow, too - it becomes like concrete.

I’m not exaggerating that it could have quickly become a matter of life and death. I decided to dig, 2 minutes at a time then go into the truck and warm up for 3. Took 30 minutes to free the truck and with another 30’ of drifts ahead of me I stared at it for a long time. Would not have managed another dig, but I was way too cold to walk now. Eventually took a run at it and hauled through, no more big drifts on the rest of the laneway. But I shivered for hours afterward and my lungs are still burning.

Plus, I have to somehow start the tractor in these temps to clear the drift before we can get to work.

I’m thinking that getting stuck on a back country road might have been fatal last night. I have no idea how the homeless survive!
The homeless don't survive. Two died in Michigan last night that I know of...may hear of more later. It is starting to warm up a bit....going to be 40's F Saturday and in high 30s after that. The news said it was warmer in Antarctica than in the northern Mid West...which makes sense since it is Summer there.

Man....getting stuck in that freezing weather would scare the C*&p out of me. You did the right thing though...used your brain to figure out how to deal with it. Many would just keep digging and not take time to warm up again and finally freeze o death there.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
The homeless don't survive. Two died in Michigan last night that I know of...may hear of more later. It is starting to warm up a bit....going to be 40's F Saturday and in high 30s after that. The news said it was warmer in Antarctica than in the northern Mid West...which makes sense since it is Summer there.

Man....getting stuck in that freezing weather would scare the C*&p out of me. You did the right thing though...used your brain to figure out how to deal with it. Many would just keep digging and not take time to warm up again and finally freeze o death there.

I immediately thought of your area Bob. Not only cold but windy.
So sad to hear about the homeless passing. I bet every church near downtown was open and warm. Just getting them to go there is the key. But they probably didn’t think it was going to be as bad as it turned out.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,970 Posts
I immediately thought of your area Bob. Not only cold but windy.
So sad to hear about the homeless passing. I bet every church near downtown was open and warm. Just getting them to go there is the key. But they probably didn’t think it was going to be as bad as it turned out.
I saw an interview with a homeless guy who said they don't like going to shelters because they often have fleas, bedbugs, sick people that they could get infected, etc. that others bring in....I would take a bed bug over freezing to death ;-(

Where I live in Michigan it isn't as cold as further North and some states like Minnesota and N. Dakota. That had to brutal although those areas get Winters like this every year so they are prepared for it....or at least as prepared as they can get.

As a side note....the gas company put out emergency requests to all customers to not set their thermostats higher than 65 degrees F. That was because a couple of days ago they had a major fire that cut down their ability to about 60% of their normal capacity. It seems to have worked as no shut downs thus far. Luckily I also have electric space heaters if necessary and a few ultra low temp rated down sleeping bags. My youngest son is an Eagle Scout (now aged out of scouts and in college) so we have done many camping trips in the dead of winter so used to dealing with that and outdoor cooking and wilderness survival in harsh conditions. Scouts programs are amazing and every kid should get in the program.....my free commercial for the day ;-)

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
I saw an interview with a homeless guy who said they don't like going to shelters because they often have fleas, bedbugs, sick people that they could get infected, etc. that others bring in....I would take a bed bug over freezing to death ;-(

Where I live in Michigan it isn't as cold as further North and some states like Minnesota and N. Dakota. That had to brutal although those areas get Winters like this every year so they are prepared for it....or at least as prepared as they can get.

As a side note....the gas company put out emergency requests to all customers to not set their thermostats higher than 65 degrees F. That was because a couple of days ago they had a major fire that cut down their ability to about 60% of their normal capacity. It seems to have worked as no shut downs thus far. Luckily I also have electric space heaters if necessary and a few ultra low temp rated down sleeping bags. My youngest son is an Eagle Scout (now aged out of scouts and in college) so we have done many camping trips in the dead of winter so used to dealing with that and outdoor cooking and wilderness survival in harsh conditions. Scouts programs are amazing and every kid should get in the program.....my free commercial for the day ;-)
Yes, and a lot of mental illness - some of those on the streets simply don't trust the shelters - regardless of who runs them.
Very sad. Especially this time of year.

Scouts, cadets, and similar programs are amazing. Glad they are still running in this day and age!

·
Registered
419 Posts

Agree with scouting part of this. I am an eagle scout (25-30 years back). I credit the variety of knowledge needed and forced leadership to helping me be where I am. Excellent program, just hoping current version is as tough as it used to be and not a participation prize program.

·
Registered
744 Posts
England weather all over the shop, the past few weeks.

Swinging anywhere from -10c to +15c (14f to 59f).

Scotland snowfall levels about -90% below-average. Been one of the least snowy winters of all time.

Spring is only 4-5 weeks away and restart of car season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here in Iowa we have had temps of -22 with wind chills at-40. Don’t plan to drive till spring. Here we use a lot of salt on the roads

·
Registered
117 Posts
Around 0 degrees Celsius around here (The Netherlands). The 4C is under the cover and on the trickle charger, so no action untill temperatures rise to 10+ degrees.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We survived the vortex even though my sweater was moth-eaten and I never found my socks. Back to normal today. 78F/25C.

My wife is torturing me. She wants to go through the entire winter without turning the heat on. The house dropped to 68F/20C at one point. Icicle formation was imminent!

Our backyard alligator has been sluggish. Me too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think I'll go to the track this weekend. :D

The deal with the Southern part of the Great Plains is "wild swings," and we're swinging to the positive starting today.

Spring is 6 weeks away, but that's a dangerous time of year here. Tornadoes, big hail.

Another Eagle Scout. I hope the BSA can survive all the lawsuits being thrown at it. But I fear it has been irreparably harmed by cultural trends.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Horses water buckets were 5 gallon popsicles this morning, despite adding a kettle full of boiling water to each at 9:00 last night.
That’s inside a closed barn!

Meanwhile, in Chicago, rail crews have taken to drastic measures to keep switch gear from freezing up...
I feel bad for our horse at the moment underneath a 450 winter rug. How do you keep the horses warm in that temp??.... Sorry, way off 4C topic

·
Registered
115 Posts
But the dense cold air is great for that 1750cc turbo! Bet you we get a noticeable boost in power:grin2:
On another note, does this extreme cold exacerbate the loosening of the bolts? I am not an engineer but would imagine there is a big difference in contraction rate between CF and steel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
keep Safe and warm

-27C right now. Was -25C when I drove home last night, with a wind chill of -38C.

Those just seem like numbers, but to put it in perspective, I got my big truck stuck in an unexpected snowdrift at the end of my driveway,on a deserted and quickly drifing in rural road, after 8PM. The wind was just whipping around (grabbed the door out of my hands even though I was holding tight with two!) and it was painful to breath. Checked it out and the chassis was bottomed out. I keep a shovel in the back, but other than good gloves and an aviator cap I was in work clothes. It’s 1/4 mile walk to the house and probably more drifts so not sure if my wife can drive up to pick me up if I can even reach her (crummy cell service). Those temps do something to drifted snow, too - it becomes like concrete.

I’m not exaggerating that it could have quickly become a matter of life and death. I decided to dig, 2 minutes at a time then go into the truck and warm up for 3. Took 30 minutes to free the truck and with another 30’ of drifts ahead of me I stared at it for a long time. Would not have managed another dig, but I was way too cold to walk now. Eventually took a run at it and hauled through, no more big drifts on the rest of the laneway. But I shivered for hours afterward and my lungs are still burning.

Plus, I have to somehow start the tractor in these temps to clear the drift before we can get to work.

I’m thinking that getting stuck on a back country road might have been fatal last night. I have no idea how the homeless survive!
Keep Safe and Warm we don't want you to Freeze your AZZZ OFF.

·
Super Moderator
14,467 Posts
I feel bad for our horse at the moment underneath a 450 winter rug. How do you keep the horses warm in that temp??.... Sorry, way off 4C topic
We light them on fire too. No, wait. Kidding.

Keeping them indoors and dry (just like the 4C). Heavy blankets. Lots of boiling water into their buckets to keep those from freezing (a kettle full into a 5 gallon pail makes it just slightly warm but keeps the ice from forming for a few hours), plenty of hay to stoke the internal furnace, bran mashes a plenty just to get liquid into them (they aren't so much cold at those temps, but they don't drink enough - you know what that will do), and try to at least hand walk them even if it is too cold to ride. I don't like electric heaters in the barn for fear of fire (happens all too often at this time of year) - just a trace heater on the hydrant tap in the barn to keep that from freezing up. It's not ideal, but you do what you can.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts