Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'm retired from the grind but I'm still hard at work raising four girls with my wife. That still leaves me lots of time to rebuild cars and do archery. I plan to travel to Italy in it when the 4C Boxer is completed. A pilgrimage of sorts. Road trips to friends across Europe will become regular things I hope and I'm toying with the idea of going into business somehow with custom parts for our lovely Alfas :)

RainerG... I respect that. I would detour if you were within a day or so and meet up for coffee/cars there in the med :)

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I am a few years away from retirement, and enjoy hearing what others are doing once they leave their original career path.
I’m winding down, not going from flat out to full stop. Teaching enables me to do that pretty well by working two or three days a week and still seeing old work colleagues. No homework! Bonus...but no work, no pay so Covid has been a worry with a few unexpected bills courtesy of our ATO.
I volunteered to be a Register Secretary for our AROCA Chapter a couple of years ago, organising the occasional drive and contributing an article to the club magazine from time to time.
There’s time to work on my motorbikes and cars....basic servicing and repairs I do myself. Been doing a little travelling with more next year planned, both local and overseas if the financial side of things improve. Been to Japan, NZ, Italy and Austria in the last three years.
I was fairly fit until Covid hit, swimming regularly 1.5km each session. Now, not.
Also got an aeroplane in bits in the back garage that needs attention but haven’t had the time nor enthusiasm to work on it while my kids are still at home.
Then there’s time just going for drives to distant cafes with my wife during the week when there’s little traffic about. Really pleasant...Mid-week motorcycle rides are also a hoot....You’ll always meet someone for a chat but there’s also the opportunity to sit quietly and read...Then there’s this Forum that occupies time and has enabled meeting a nice bunch of like-minded 4C enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
266 Posts
I was too young to retire once my big checks came in long ago, but I do seem to have the same issues as retired folk:
-What to do without depleting too much,
-How to feel productive/useful despite having no schedule, nor motivations
-Seeing months fly by without anything to show/feel fulfillment; So lucky to have gone in already knowing the world is not enough, so at least I didnt go broke chasing carrots...

Congrats on a wife, kids, those that have them, but I have neither yet. My family growth is in the wrong side of my age, yet. Investment is too boring, and big risks are pointless to me as I already traded in tireless days and nights too young an age, so why risk the nest? Maybe I'm just not a gambler, but Vegas was one of the more boring and pastiche cities I've been to. Starting a business or mentoring someone is likely the only recourse left if no wife/partner/kids are around to share life and lessons with.

But travel, friends, and spending at least 2 hours a day refining something beautiful/meaningful to you is what I feel the best answer is to this sort of question. There will be numb, boring days, but you'll always have those self-indulgent two hours to look forward to. I write (more) fictions, illustrate fantasy, paint women, and bike/jog, for example... And of course, "live the Alfa life", cafe racing (when this pandemic regulates down) and practicing my control, lines for the once in a while track day, over more expressos and mods.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
266 Posts
Terrorize my neighborhood in my 4C! Assuming I can still get in and out of it! Ha!
Please be straight piped; If you have the age enough to convince, just tell them you can't hear it, that they're ridiculous! Nothing makes for a better cover than pretending senility Ha
"Huh? What racket? You must think you're the queen of England, don't you? At your age, I went uphill both ways in historical blizzards to war for you to enjoy this neighborhood..." :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,053 Posts
I was lucky that I and my wife were able to retire at 56 (me) very comfortably.....now 73. Have 5 kids...2 by my late wife and 3 by current wife. The two oldest are married and have kids. One of the other 3 is in NYU getting her Masters to be a brain scientist...will be graduating this fall if world doesn't fall apart again. One of the boys is a Mechanical Engineer working from our house during the virus. Other boy will be a Junior in college this Fall....Business/Finance.
Sooo what do I do when not getting kids schooled? Normally a lot of time is spent doing Astronomy lectures and demos to K-12 students and colleges as a representative of NASA/JPL. I am also manager of an astronomy observatory at a huge Scout camp in Michigan. And of course I spend a lot of time observing and Astro-Photography. Sadly both of those are mostly curtailed due to Covid.

Other than that....I am an avid bicyclist (was Cat 2 USCF for years), kayaker, fly fisherman, backpacker, swimmer, photographer (used to own a photo studio besides my regular job), and performing musician.....oh yeah....also AROC in Detroit chapter.
When people ask me if I still work.....I tell them I couldn't fit "work" in with my busy schedule.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was lucky that I and my wife were able to retire at 56 (me) very comfortably.....now 73. Have 5 kids...2 by my late wife and 3 by current wife. The two oldest are married and have kids. One of the other 3 is in NYU getting her Masters to be a brain scientist...will be graduating this fall if world doesn't fall apart again. One of the boys is a Mechanical Engineer working from our house during the virus. Other boy will be a Junior in college this Fall....Business/Finance.
Sooo what do I do when not getting kids schooled? Normally a lot of time is spent doing Astronomy lectures and demos to K-12 students and colleges as a representative of NASA/JPL. I am also manager of an astronomy observatory at a huge Scout camp in Michigan. And of course I spend a lot of time observing and Astro-Photography. Sadly both of those are mostly curtailed due to Covid.

Other than that....I am an avid bicyclist (was Cat 2 USCF for years), kayaker, fly fisherman, backpacker, swimmer, photographer (used to own a photo studio besides my regular job), and performing musician.....oh yeah....also AROC in Detroit chapter.
When people ask me if I still work.....I tell them I couldn't fit "work" in with my busy schedule.
Do you believe in aliens?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Please let us know if you see a huge astroid barreling towards us, so we can check off the bucket list quicker.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am 52, but probably will retire in a few years. I was involuntarily temporarily retired in 2007 from the great recession, so I did nothing of note from 2007-2012. Then we moved and I bought some rental houses to get a little income. That was fine, but I took a real job in 2015 and have gotten enough semi passive cash flow from some investments to retire today if we want. I am waiting a few years to build up a little better bank balance first. I plan to travel quite a bit, and maybe attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail. That is about a 6 month adventure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts