Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to install my Tarox rotors n pad m SS brake lines:). What brake fluid are u guys using?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
DOT4.

Not a fan of the hyper-expensive race fluids in lightweight cars. They have to be flushed more often (more hygroscopic), yet their higher price discourages you from flushing. I prefer parts-store DOT4 flushed often. More than enough for our cars unless you've doubled the HP and are using crazy tires/aero or something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Currently using Torque RT700. However, I'm starting to agree with Hornetball's approach. I have used the stock OEM fluid with good pads, and have never had issues with fade. The only issue I have ever had was a slight softness due to crappy braking technique. The Torque is quite expensive per bottle, and I flush every year (and may start doing 2 times a year). Due to this cost, I have been considering moving to Motul RBF600 (about $4/bottle cheaper). May even go cheaper and just flush more often (The cost to flush is about $100, as I'm too lazy to do it myself).

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Yeah... I have looked at single person flushers over the years...but as I said "too lazy"...However, cheapness may overwhelm the laziness.... lol

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
Castrol REACT SRF DOT 4
Not cheap. But I was happy with it and will simply have it flushed annually.
There was a lot of popping and pinging from the brakes my first year on the track with the 4C, which I attributed to the stock brake fluid. The only changes I made in year two were new pads and fluid, and the noise went away almost completely. I don't think the noise had anything to do with the pads, but somebody could prove me wrong. Maybe my braking technique also improved, but don't bet on it!

Flushing is not a job I want to get into personally, and having brakes that work without a potential problem is too important to me. Maybe if I had more experience doing so, I wouldn't hesitate as much. But I'd rather practice on my mother in law's car a few times first. >:) Kidding!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Castrol REACT SRF DOT 4
Not cheap. But I was happy with it and will simply have it flushed annually.
There was a lot of popping and pinging from the brakes my first year on the track with the 4C, which I attributed to the stock brake fluid. The only changes I made in year two were new pads and fluid, and the noise went away almost completely. I don't think the noise had anything to do with the pads, but somebody could prove me wrong. Maybe my braking technique also improved, but don't bet on it!

Flushing is not a job I want to get into personally, and having brakes that work without a potential problem is too important to me. Maybe if I had more experience doing so, I wouldn't hesitate as much. But I'd rather practice on my mother in law's car a few times first. >:) Kidding!

YUP. SAME

CASTROL SRF all day!

·
Registered
55 Posts
+2

You can do half a dozen track weekends with one flush and the pedal will still be hard as a rock (tried it on other cars, not the 4C)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
+3

Also run it in my Corvette and have never had a problem on the track.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Some nice discussion and comparison table in this blog:

http://trackdays.ie/best-racing-brake-fluid/

There was a lot of popping and pinging from the brakes my first year on the track with the 4C, which I attributed to the stock brake fluid.
I have never heard of "popping and pinging" being a symptom of overheated brake fluid. Those sounds are almost always related to thermal expansion/contraction of dissimilar solid materials, especially metals. :huh:

The symptom you get from overheated brake fluid is a soft pedal.

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
Some nice discussion and comparison table in this blog:

http://trackdays.ie/best-racing-brake-fluid/

I have never heard of "popping and pinging" being a symptom of overheated brake fluid. Those sounds are almost always related to thermal expansion/contraction of dissimilar solid materials, especially metals. :huh:

The symptom you get from overheated brake fluid is a soft pedal.
Was suggested to me by others on this forum.
Yes, you might be right.
Just noted it was different this year and that was the major change.

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
I'd agree with two bottles - one litre will likely just work, but since you are probably flushing a different product out, you'll very probably waste some to make sure you clear all of the old out. And it doesn't hurt to have a bit left to top up with as your pads wear down.

My CDN$0.02 - but what do I know.

·
Registered
342 Posts
thanks so much
changing it first time in 2 years of ownership
hope previous owner did it
Alfa dealer asked $450 with my fluid

I will take it to regular shop, they take 150

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
I’ve used Motul RBF600 since I had braided lines fitted 12 months ago. Just renewed it at the last service a couple of months ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts