Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

5461 - 5477 of 5477 Posts

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
328 Posts
Do you live near Dania Beach? The mayor of Dania Beach, Marco Salvino, is an old friend of mine. I used to live in Fort Lauderdale until I convinced my wife to move to California.

It seems like there should be a number of viable viable swap options for that Delorean if you decide to remain with ICE. They’re cool cars—especially when you learn what John Delorean was all about.
The idea to go with EV for the Delorean mainly centered around the want to have enough variety to enjoy the cars available now, imo ev-ramjet hybrid that mix low level flight with wheeled friction to assist in 250mph+ turns will eventually be the final form of cars, the EV to get things sprinted and the ramjet to push it past 110mph where fast EV's find a plateau. Since that's completely irrelevant for a street car today, just EV torque fun for a drift-happy Delorean really would fill in my "muscle car" void the efficient 4c and classic 308 don't/won't give me. Some will pursue awesome 500+ bhp with their 4c's, but I feel 275-350hp is the OEM car's "sweet spot". I did think "what if" dropping in a wrecked-C8 vette's v8 or just an LS with a fine Meneola transaxle, but it would overlap too much with where the 4c is headed, and the 308 was in it's time.
When I was looking for a Delorean, I was cross shopping with NSX and SR2 Viper ACR since back in 2012 they were all about $20k-$30k. After buying and "doing the car show and club rounds", I've had so much info on John Delorean and the whole deal thrown at me haha - Delorean owners are a fanatical bunch and they all know every detail on the cars. In fact, I wondered if they had formed a cult, that I was going to receive an invitation written by flux-capacitor, password "Sic Stainless Creatvs Est D'Johnny Par Chronos Travelvs Maximvs".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Notice immediately? The sills in the 458 are much shorter and lower so getting in and out is much easier (except some of the 458 instrument controls stick out a bit far). I've mastered getting into the 4C with the CF tub, but that was the first thing I immediately noticed.

The next would be how spacious and luxurious the interior of the 458 is compared to the 4C. There's not really a center tunnel between you and the passenger (unlike our handbrake situation), and there's storage space behind the seats! The Huracan definitely feels more claustrophobic if we were comparing apples to apples.

If we are talking about the driving experience, 9k rpm NA redline is something to experience in a high-strung V8. I kept short shifting since I was used to the how quickly the revs build in the 4C with its ratios. Effortless yet super communicative natural steering. Compliant road manners in all situations, a luxury cruiser if you really wanted it. I really don’t know how Ferrari managed to package it all together this well. It feels better than a Huracan with the exception of the V10 sound. The 4C on the other hand, is a singular personality raw driving experience that makes no excuses for why it exists. :giggle:
"Compliant road manners"....."luxury cruiser" not words that should be describing any true "sports" car....I've driven 458/488 extensively and yes they are luxury cars clearly not geared towards hardcore sports car driving enthusiasts...what a shame this is what Ferrari has become. Thank goodness for the 4C because IT is more "Ferrari" than Ferrari these days (and a hell of a lot cheaper....who would have thought!)

·
Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
I found out my car is actually Bianco Trofeo and not Bianco Madreperla today :oops:
Changed the name and code (and colour slightly) in about 2017 or 18. Matches the Giulia colour.
There have been a few threads about this (dating back to when it happened).

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,138 Posts
Had a really wet session on track today. Rivers running across the back straight. Car was brilliant, and fairly new RE71R’s did OK. Scariest moment was on the road home, when the car hydroplaned a bit on newly laid asphalt, with a transport truck bearing down on me!

I haven’t been out in the very wet much. Very good experience. Couldn’t bring myself to use Race mode, but Natural is rubbish in the rain. Dynamic only interfered on occasion, which was my cue to drive more smoothly.
Curious why you thought Natural is rubbish in the rain? Not that I have any experience. My car has only been in heavy rain once since I bought it in Feb. 2016 when I got caught in a heavy unexpected squall. I would think that heavier rain would find the Natural or All Weather mode a bit better than Dynamic since the shifts are softer and the nannies are more helpful and more forgiving of a "heavy foot".

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,138 Posts
Changed the name and code (and colour slightly) in about 2017 or 18. Matches the Giulia colour.
There have been a few threads about this (dating back to when it happened).
[/QUOT
I found out my car is actually Bianco Trofeo and not Bianco Madreperla today :oops:
I am curious what the difference in tint is between the two versions. I assume both are the pearlescent paint. By any chance is the older version a warmer tint whereas the latest is less warmer tint...more of a neutral white? The reason I ask is I have noted that on other brands of cars that offer the same color the previous original pearlescent paint was warm toned and the latest (like my wife has on her car) less warm and more neutral. I am wondering if the supplier for this paint is the same for all of the manufacturers ?

·
Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
Curious why you thought Natural is rubbish in the rain? Not that I have any experience. My car has only been in heavy rain once since I bought it in Feb. 2016 when I got caught in a heavy unexpected squall. I would think that heavier rain would find the Natural or All Weather mode a bit better than Dynamic since the shifts are softer and the nannies are more helpful and more forgiving of a "heavy foot".
Precisely because the nannies are more intrusive and the shifts slower in the lesser modes.
On a wet track, you can safely rotate out of a corner quite aggressively, except that you’ll find the car trying to apply differential braking to stymie you. And at the first hint of wheel spin on corner exit, it will do so again. Granted, I should be subtle enough to avoid wheel spin, but I grew up driving on ice and have a decent idea as to what I can get away with. In Natural, the car positively freaks out and will deny you throttle for what seems like a second or more. You have to physically lift almost completely in order to get the throttle back. Not only does that cost time, but can be dangerous. I figure I have a better idea of what I’m trying to deal with than a hard coded, non AI stability routine.

Similarly, if I want to shift gears on a track, especially a slippery one, then I want that to happen on command. Not on the car’s schedule. If I mess up the shift point, then shame on me. But the car doesn’t know that I have a hairpin coming up fast, and that if the computer takes its time to shift in Natural then things might get a bit western.

I don’t mind Dynamic, as it will still (gently) intervene but only when things are really going sideways (literally). If the nannies rear their heads here then I’ve screwed up or am about to. And they don’t do so in a way that is dangerous in a low grip situation.

My impression, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
I am curious what the difference in tint is between the two versions. I assume both are the pearlescent paint. By any chance is the older version a warmer tint whereas the latest is less warmer tint...more of a neutral white? The reason I ask is I have noted that on other brands of cars that offer the same color the previous original pearlescent paint was warm toned and the latest (like my wife has on her car) less warm and more neutral. I am wondering if the supplier for this paint is the same for all of the manufacturers ?
The thread of John4C’s where he first brought this to light, indicated that the MP has more yellow tinge vs the Trofeo. That was the big takeaway that I recall.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,138 Posts
Interesting take.....haven't driven the 4C on track in rain but your comments make sense. I know what you mean about learning how to drive on ice. For me that applies to auto crossing. I only use Race mode....the Dynamic mode doesn't give me enough control..it tries to "fix" what I want to do ;-)

·
Registered
825 Posts
...but I grew up driving on ice..
might I add:
  • with Canadian Hockey pucks on all 4 corners
  • no electronic stabilization
  • no abs (that is anti-lock-brake system to those under 25 lol)
  • probably drum rear brakes for the first few cars
  • a few bags of salt in the trunk that would put weight on the rear drive wheels for better/any grip, and could be used to get you out of the parking spot when the water froze around your wheels after parking at her place for a few hours.....I digress...lol
(oh, edit, salt bags were replaced with bags of corn -chicken feed stolen from my Dad's backyard- as they gave better grip in an ice hole and they wouldn't eat the interior of the trunk if the bag broke!).
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
might I add:
  • with Canadian Hockey pucks on all 4 corners
  • no electronic stabilization
  • no abs (that is anti-lock-brake system to those under 25 lol)
  • probably drum rear brakes for the first few cars
  • a few bags of salt in the trunk that would put weight on the rear drive wheels for better/any grip, and could be used to get you out of the parking spot when the water froze around your wheels after parking at her place for a few hours.....I digress...lol
(oh, edit, salt bags were replaced with bags of corn -chicken feed stolen from my Dad's backyard- as they gave better grip in an ice hole and they wouldn't eat the interior of the trunk if the bag broke!).
:cool:
Yes to all, except that the bags of corn would attract rodents, who would eat the interior of the trunk to turn it into nesting material!!! Switched to sand, which just got wet and disgusting by spring.

I'm old enough to recall when Ontario allowed studded tires and then promptly banned them. And pulling the studs out of a pair of snows because we were too cheap to buy new tires.
In those days, you could drive with snow tires only on the drive (always rear) wheels. I guess physics changed or something, because now they won't sell you just two. Can't be a business thing (lather, rinse, REPEAT). LOL

·
Registered
825 Posts
In those days, you could drive with snow tires only on the drive (always rear) wheels. I guess physics changed or something, because now they won't sell you just two. Can't be a business thing (lather, rinse, REPEAT). LOL
Except the TORONADO (fwd :giggle: )
WRT the two wheels.....probably a "lawyer" thing as I could just see the lawsuits of "Your Honour, the ignorance and negligence of the tire experts at TIRESHOP X placed my client, his/her passengers, and all of the surrounding vehicles at risk given the car was undriveable and unsafe with the varying compounds.....yada yada yada..)

5461 - 5477 of 5477 Posts