Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
6701 - 6720 of 6786 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did an oil change. Wow, what a difference in engine smoothness. ~9k miles since the last change. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
389 Posts
Anyone do yearly oil changes? I've put on less than 3k miles since the last change. Not sure if I should wait or not. TIA

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Anyone do yearly oil changes? I've put on less than 3k miles since the last change. Not sure if I should wait or not. TIA
I do one a year basically (because I tend to not do enough miles to need it more frequently). I try and do it in the fall. Sometimes I forget and do it in the spring.

@Philster once told me when I was supposed to do it (fall or spring) and I forget which is the preferred one for us store them over winter folks 😬

Reactions: 4Canada and lat

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
Those names never were in the series, roger the cabin boy or master bates, I think the writer sued and won after newspapers falsly claimed so
Just by coincidence this showed up in my recommended you tube viewing….They are monitoring every word, whoever THEY are, even Pugwash.
Not for children….only the child-minded. Still funny if you ever saw the original.
https://youtu.be/At7TJYfwLBY

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
I do one a year basically (because I tend to not do enough miles to need it more frequently). I try and do it in the fall. Sometimes I forget and do it in the spring.

@Philster once told me when I was supposed to do it (fall or spring) and I forget which is the preferred one for us store them over winter folks 😬
Philster says fall, and his opinion is likely well researched.

I do mine in the spring, as I try to drive as deep into the fall as I can, and don’t usually have a few days to spare before snow, to leave my car at the dealership. In the spring, I can usually find an early good day to take it in. Should there be a late snowfall, it can stay at the dealership as I know there will be clear roads to retrieve it a day or two later.

Like you, I don not drive mine enough (even accounting for extra wear on the track car) to warrant more than an annual change.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
@John4C The once-per-year oil change is the one you do before storing the car or before winter. If the oil is gonna sit, it might as well be pristine, with no contaminants such as water and fuel and other byproducts that attack metal, weaken seals, gaskets and such.

Even if the car is not being stored, winters present real challenges in keeping oil strong and clean. Combustion is sloppier and it's harder to get the oil to temp and keep it from being diluted with fuel and water...

AND... direct injection cars are most prone to having fuel washed off the cylinder walls when it's a cold winter morning (long, rich, sloppy air-fuel ratio) while the oil layer is weakest. Bore scoring can be traced back to this issue.

Learned more from marine engines than auto engines here, because the storage problems have huge numbers of sample sizes and I have built and tore down engines (not alone, but with dear friends that were pros and owned their own shops. I was labor. Lol) Still enormously anecdotal, but the best (and even lesser) shops winterize marine engines with an oil change as standard operating procedure, among other services.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Reactions: Barth Vader

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
This afternoon I rolled Rosie out of her garage and gave her a wash, rinse and blow-dry, then touched up a few paint chips I’d long neglected. Has anyone after they’ve done similar just stood there for five minutes telling your 4C how beautiful she is? Unfortunately I fear this lockdown isn’t going to end any time soon but hoping the start flag can drop on our Bathurst drive on August 15.

6701 - 6720 of 6786 Posts