Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
7041 - 7060 of 7083 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Changed rear brakes on the track car.
@DrPyro2k is going to give me shit! I knew that I was low on pad in my last session and had planned a replacement after that, but the outboard pads actually looked fine. Glad I followed my gut and went home when I did.

Pix show drivers side outer to passenger side outer pad. Guess I need to show up for more counterclockwise events, too! ;)

So, beware that a quick visual on the outer pads does not tell the full story!
I'm glad you called it a day before anything bad happened. It must have been screaming on the rotor with the metal on metal. The "nice" thing about very little sound insulation on the tub is you can hear everything and it propagates through the tub well too.

I'm not going to give you sh*t, I think you learned your lesson...;);)

Those pads look very very abused, they were overheating too. My gut says you are driving in "dynamic mode", when you really need to be in "race mode". Race mode will limit how much the rear brakes try and keep the car "straight" or "behaved". So when you trailbrake and try and get the car to rotate in Dynamic mode, it really starts working the rear brakes. Time to move to Race Mode....

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Administrator
17,255 Posts
I'm glad you called it a day before anything bad happened. It must have been screaming on the rotor with the metal on metal. The "nice" thing about very little sound insulation on the tub is you can hear everything and it propagates through the tub well too.

I'm not going to give you sh*t, I think you learned your lesson...;);)

Those pads look very very abused, they were overheating too. My gut says you are driving in "dynamic mode", when you really need to be in "race mode". Race mode will limit how much the rear brakes try and keep the car "straight" or "behaved". So when you trailbrake and try and get the car to rotate in Dynamic mode, it really starts working the rear brakes. Time to move to Race Mode....
Guilty as charged, yes, the nannies are intervening a lot lately and perhaps it is time to move to "hold my beer and watch this" (Race) mode.

I just heard the noise (wasn't as bad as you'd imagine) when I went for fuel after a session - definitely could not hear it over the exhaust and other noises on the track. But picked up on it as soon as I stopped at the gate on the way out to the gas station and realized my day was probably over. However, seeing the outboard pads made me feel that I was mistaken. Still, very happy that followed my gut on this one and called it a day anyway (the car was telling me something and like a good horseman, I listen to subtle signs). I watched a few sessions from the pits and then drove home (not far, not much brake usage). When I took things apart on the weekend, the rotor appears pretty un-scathed, so I think that I got away with it this time.

But I will follow your lead and retire my pads a bit earlier in future. Maybe rotate them from side to side even, but certainly inspect the inboard pads more often.

I surprised to see the difference in wear from inside to outside pad. The caliper "floats" OK, and wasn't seized even before the pad replacement / pin lubrication. But my rear pads are often tight against the disk when the car has been sitting (brake off). Especially if I park right after washing the car - so I usually go for a little drive to warm and dry the brakes first.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I surprised to see the difference in wear from inside to outside pad. The caliper "floats" OK, and wasn't seized even before the pad replacement / pin lubrication. But my rear pads are often tight against the disk when the car has been sitting (brake off). Especially if I park right after washing the car - so I usually go for a little drive to warm and dry the brakes first.
I have not tracked the 4C much, nor looked at the brake pad wear. However, on my S2000, the inside vs outside pad wear is not equal. I alternate the pads every event to even out the wear.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@4Canada & @Mahjik - Yup, I rotate pads inside and outside, and sides depending on the wear difference. They wear more on the inside and leading edge (first edge to touch the rotor when spinning), so flipping them around helps with both of those wear aspects.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The Mistress is back!

She is very dirty, but she has all new tires, complete rebuild of the Ohlin's 2-way shocks/struts after 4 years of track abuse, and full corner balance and alignment. Now time to do my basic track inspection for this weekend's fun!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
I like the bright white better in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
On its own the Madreperla is a lovely, rich colour that highlights the curves and lines of the 4C but doesn’t look its best when put next to Trofeo White. You have to appreciate it in isolation from other whites…so to speak. Trofeo is really bright and dominates when they are together.
Edit: Correction. It’s not Trofeo but simply 5CA White.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
On its own the Madreperla is a lovely, rich colour that highlights the curves and lines of the 4C but doesn’t look its best when put next to Trofeo White. You have to appreciate it in isolation from other whites…so to speak. Trofeo is really bright and dominates when they are together.
That’s not Trofeo. That’s actually the flat white. Trofeo would read closer to the flat white (but metallic) than Madreperla though if they were all together.

7041 - 7060 of 7083 Posts