Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
8321 - 8340 of 8382 Posts

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
Had all the fun stuff done over the past two days… The Eurocompulsion V2 Intake and ECU Phase 2 Clone is in — WOW — a more detailed review tomorrow; but it’s amazing.

New OEM rubber, 15mm/25mm f/r spacers, TCM shield, race engine mount bushing (another amazing little mod).

For those of you who haven’t seen a TCM shield install… not pretty :D

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Swapped out the mats to preserve the original 4C LE’s—love them:
Vehicle Plant Car Speedometer Gear shift

Grabbed a couple of quick shots before taking it for a night cruise…
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Stopped off to grab an evening shot…
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

I’ll post some videos tomorrow and a review of the EC Phase 2!

I’ll also be putting my Alfaworks Stage 1 Clone up for sale.

Cheers all—and thank you very much for all the support and guidance over these past 2 months of ownership! It certainly has transformed during this time.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
No obsession evident here! :p
Little bit. At the moment I am having a bit of funemployement until my next job starts so getting my fleet in order is my current job. I can also produce quite a bit of text pretty quickly.

Worked on the exhaust tips today. Didn’t get all the way there, and the chrome is pitted so we will have to see what is possible.

Also did the exterior wash to prepare for polishing and bought this bad boy from harbor freight. There are an entertaining number of sharp angles in the body work that collect dirt and water spots and so on. Looks amazing, but that is going to take some hand polishing.
Liquid Bottle Fluid Personal care Material property

Did some research on engine covers and it looks like the thing to do is hydro-dip the engine cover, paint the aluminum part, and then clear the whole thing. Not really reversible, but you can buy a new engine cover. I’ll probably pay a pro to do it after my funemployment ends.

I looked at the available dressed up covers and didn’t really like the designs or they were so expensive I might as well refinish the OE cover.

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
With all of the other work out of the way, I decided to tackle installing the Joying.

I bought both the 7” with knob and 8.8”. After thinking about it, placing the 7” in the spot, thought it was the right one. So, a new 8.8” will be up for sale soon.

The beautiful Parrot. I thought I’d just keep this installed; but after two months and 3,000 miles, I decided it needed to be replaced. It did its job, just too slowly for 2022.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior

It was a gooey, sticky mess back there. Tape was deteriorating—and as you can see from the bracket, the slot was cut a millimeter or so too short. When they installed it, they just let it buckle in the middle.

It was an absolute pain in the ass to get out—had to use my trim pry tool to basically mangle it, conform it to a shape to remove. Definitely no going back now…

Getting the Joying bracket in without scratching anything was a a chore too because of the extra millimeter missing.

I had to conform it a bit too, being extra careful with a trim pick, until it slid into its home. Pinned it back and started making connections… replacing the harness, etc.
Steering part Motor vehicle Auto part Steering wheel Windshield

I’d suggest using a towel to keep the mess off the interior, I also used some Meguier’s interior wipes to clean up inside the DIN bay.

I reconnected my negative terminal and fired up to see what was and wasn’t working before putting everything back together.

To my surprise, it powered on and I was able to pair successfully to my iPhone to test—and immediately noticed a vast improvement in sound quality just over Bluetooth, no CarPlay yet.

I then tested CarPlay wireless—which is unintuitive to setup. You need to go into the Bluetooth settings on the unit and then on your iPhone, allow the Joying to see the iPhone and tap the phone with the Bluetooth image to the right to pair.

If you connected the way the installation directions tell you—basically starting with your phone first, the Car Link 2.0 app within the Joying Android OS will not work.

If you did this first, you need to go into your phone and forget the connection—and then start again with the Joying.

After I did that, Car Link worked well—I was quick on the settings and selected it to auto start CarPlay. Immediately with the knob and touch buttons, I knew I’d made the correct choice for me.

One thing of note, I could not use the 4C mic connection—I had to unplug it from the HU and use the tiny mic in the front of the Joying.

I’m not sure if I missed a setting or something—but the mic on the Joying seems to work fine. My GF said she could hear me more clearly—of course, the 4C engine wasn’t on :D

Feeling satisfied that everything was working, including GPS, I connected everything to the unit, cleaned up a little of my mess, and sat back, enjoyed my work for a moment.
Automotive lighting Amber Communication Device Eyewear Telephony

I then remembered I had the little Alfa Romeo metal cutout logos and immediately put one on
Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Eager to show off my work, I stepped around to the passenger side and was met with this…
Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

I did remember reading about this in the forums when I first got my 4C and that some had spray-painted it.

I thought about sending this photo to Lars for some custom work (and still may do this); but I remembered I had some spare carbon fiber from my QV rear carbon guards the company had sent me that were incorrect.

I decided to develop a minimum viable product (MVP) to see if I could make a covering in nice carbon fiber that is XPel coated with a Kevlar backing…

Time to start measuring, cutting sanding, VHB’ing… the pieces I cut, dry fit and ultimately used…

Sides…
Hand Automotive tire Sleeve Textile Finger
Finger Line Font Rectangle Material property
Finger Gadget Office equipment Automotive lighting Computer hardware

Top…
Hand Sleeve Gesture Wood Finger

The bottom I didn’t worry about, it’s a thin strip you can’t see… But here is my MVP — I did all of this in dim garage lighting because I didn’t feel like messing with any bigger lights, so we’ll have a better verdict in the morning.

As for CF being an inhibitor for GPS and radio signals, I feel fairly confident both antennas sit back far enough in the bay…

My MVP…
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment Vehicle door Tints and shades

The top was hard to get a shot of in low light—and I ended up adding one more slither of CF to those tiny silver spots in the rear there.

Again, I’ll check it out in the daylight tomorrow and report back!

In all, a fun evening project that I’m really thinking will provide some value for me.

I hope you all enjoyed reading!

Cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I am dead. Didn't have the energy to take the car out to view my great works at the end so I am testing in production tomorrow morning.

Finished claying this morning, then polished, didn't even have the energy to go into the sun to find the problem areas and hand polish what I couldn't reach. Followed up with a quick wash to remove the polishing compound, wax (Meguiar's hybrid ceramic), then wash again with distilled water to remove the carrier solution.

The 6" polishing disc is way too big for this car and just unwieldy. I had a few oopies (Dr. Colorchip incoming) with the handle sticking out the side so I removed it and it was more comfortable and vibrated less. The whole tool is too big and I regret not getting something smaller and lighter and maybe even cordless.

Tried to source a 3" disc locally and couldn't find one anywhere so I had to order on Amazon. Order one in advance if you go this route.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Finished the belt service (ALL timing belt and aux belt components replaced, sourced from AlfaWorkShop), not my only car so I spent maybe an hour a day over several week nights and then several hours on the weekend. I did not remove any bodywork or loosen the cam pulley bolts at all........with quickjacks it was easy to raise/lower the car when needed for access from the top/wheel well/bottom. No issues and I'm done for another 5 years. After just 11500 miles and garage storage, the items removed looked almost like the new replacements- no leaks or wear noted. YMMV

As others have noted, the passenger side motor mount rubber was in sad shape but not yet leaking. I placed an order with AlfaWorkShop early in the week and DHL was at my door Friday AM dropping off the new mounts- those guys are always fast :)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Finished the belt service (ALL timing belt and aux belt components replaced, sourced from AlfaWorkShop), not my only car so I spent maybe an hour a day over several week nights and then several hours on the weekend. I did not remove any bodywork or loosen the cam pulley bolts at all........with quickjacks it was easy to raise/lower the car when needed for access from the top/wheel well/bottom. No issues and I'm done for another 5 years. After just 11500 miles and garage storage, the items removed looked almost like the new replacements- no leaks or wear noted. YMMV

As others have noted, the passenger side motor mount rubber was in sad shape but not yet leaking. I placed an order with AlfaWorkShop early in the week and DHL was at my door Friday AM dropping off the new mounts- those guys are always fast :)

How was it Bill? Any iffy moments or pretty smooth sailing?

·
Registered
258 Posts
How was it Bill? Any iffy moments or pretty smooth sailing?
Pretty smooth, a few differences when using the AlfaWorkShop DIY guide and Factory Service Manual but nothing substantial. Minor differences attributed to region and/or year. Be sure you have a Ribe bit set, some of the "Torx" bolts are actually Ribe, I found a set locally at Northern Tool a while back ;)

Also helpful at certain points to have a second set of hands (not required but helpful).

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
With all of the other work out of the way, I decided to tackle installing the Joying.

I bought both the 7” with knob and 8.8”. After thinking about it, placing the 7” in the spot, thought it was the right one. So, a new 8.8” will be up for sale soon.

The beautiful Parrot. I thought I’d just keep this installed; but after two months and 3,000 miles, I decided it needed to be replaced. It did its job, just too slowly for 2022. View attachment 131713

It was a gooey, sticky mess back there. Tape was deteriorating—and as you can see from the bracket, the slot was cut a millimeter or so too short. When they installed it, they just let it buckle in the middle.

It was an absolute pain in the ass to get out—had to use my trim pry tool to basically mangle it, conform it to a shape to remove. Definitely no going back now…

Getting the Joying bracket in without scratching anything was a a chore too because of the extra millimeter missing.

I had to conform it a bit too, being extra careful with a trim pick, until it slid into its home. Pinned it back and started making connections… replacing the harness, etc. View attachment 131714

I’d suggest using a towel to keep the mess off the interior, I also used some Meguier’s interior wipes to clean up inside the DIN bay.

I reconnected my negative terminal and fired up to see what was and wasn’t working before putting everything back together.

To my surprise, it powered on and I was able to pair successfully to my iPhone to test—and immediately noticed a vast improvement in sound quality just over Bluetooth, no CarPlay yet.

I then tested CarPlay wireless—which is unintuitive to setup. You need to go into the Bluetooth settings on the unit and then on your iPhone, allow the Joying to see the iPhone and tap the phone with the Bluetooth image to the right to pair.

If you connected the way the installation directions tell you—basically starting with your phone first, the Car Link 2.0 app within the Joying Android OS will not work.

If you did this first, you need to go into your phone and forget the connection—and then start again with the Joying.

After I did that, Car Link worked well—I was quick on the settings and selected it to auto start CarPlay. Immediately with the knob and touch buttons, I knew I’d made the correct choice for me.

One thing of note, I could not use the 4C mic connection—I had to unplug it from the HU and use the tiny mic in the front of the Joying.

I’m not sure if I missed a setting or something—but the mic on the Joying seems to work fine. My GF said she could hear me more clearly—of course, the 4C engine wasn’t on :D

Feeling satisfied that everything was working, including GPS, I connected everything to the unit, cleaned up a little of my mess, and sat back, enjoyed my work for a moment. View attachment 131718

I then remembered I had the little Alfa Romeo metal cutout logos and immediately put one on View attachment 131719

Eager to show off my work, I stepped around to the passenger side and was met with this… View attachment 131720

I did remember reading about this in the forums when I first got my 4C and that some had spray-painted it.

I thought about sending this photo to Lars for some custom work (and still may do this); but I remembered I had some spare carbon fiber from my QV rear carbon guards the company had sent me that were incorrect.

I decided to develop a minimum viable product (MVP) to see if I could make a covering in nice carbon fiber that is XPel coated with a Kevlar backing…

Time to start measuring, cutting sanding, VHB’ing… the pieces I cut, dry fit and ultimately used…

Sides… View attachment 131723 View attachment 131721 View attachment 131722

Top… View attachment 131724

The bottom I didn’t worry about, it’s a thin strip you can’t see… But here is my MVP — I did all of this in dim garage lighting because I didn’t feel like messing with any bigger lights, so we’ll have a better verdict in the morning.

As for CF being an inhibitor for GPS and radio signals, I feel fairly confident both antennas sit back far enough in the bay…

My MVP… View attachment 131725

The top was hard to get a shot of in low light—and I ended up adding one more slither of CF to those tiny silver spots in the rear there.

Again, I’ll check it out in the daylight tomorrow and report back!

In all, a fun evening project that I’m really thinking will provide some value for me.

I hope you all enjoyed reading!

Cheers,
Scott
I ended up thinking the MVP matched up well in the daylight for my surround—I just think the gloss is a bit much for those areas.

I bought a 1mm sheet of matte carbon fiber and going to create the next iteration of the housing design—properly cut, measured, etc.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Rectangle Wood Table Flooring Floor

I also have a sheet of .5mm gloss coming too, so I’ll still play around a bit. As you can see from the first picture, the imperfections from my scissors snips are glaring; but the idea still holds.

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
Went in—decided to angle it in for more surface area to grab on too… Also, used the matte finish. The gloss sheet was atrocious.

Getting measurements…
Vehicle Plant Car Motor vehicle Gear shift

Time to cut…
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Road surface Black

Boxed in looks good—just not enough area for tape… time to measure my angles and cut again… Although the fitment looks really nice
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Gear shift
Automotive lighting Steering part Car Camera lens Motor vehicle

We have angles and surface area…
Car Gear shift Vehicle Steering part White

Although it’s not a perfect weave match for the matte finishes, I think it turned out really well. I noticed the back of the screen is now sticking out like a silver thumb through the windshield, so I may cut more CF for it…
White Automotive lighting Hood Light Luggage and bags

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Went in—decided to angle it in for more surface area to grab on too… Also, used the matte finish. The gloss sheet was atrocious.

Getting measurements… View attachment 131825

Time to cut… View attachment 131827

Boxed in looks good—just not enough area for tape… time to measure my angles and cut again… Although the fitment looks really nice View attachment 131828 View attachment 131829

We have angles and surface area… View attachment 131830

Although it’s not a perfect weave match for the matte finishes, I think it turned out really well. I noticed the back of the screen is now sticking out like a silver thumb through the windshield, so I may cut more CF for it… View attachment 131831
Fantastic attention to detail

Reactions: 614

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
But why?

Getting measurements… View attachment 131825

Time to cut… View attachment 131827

Boxed in looks good—just not enough area for tape… time to measure my angles and cut again… Although the fitment looks really nice View attachment 131828 View attachment 131829

We have angles and surface area… View attachment 131830

Although it’s not a perfect weave match for the matte finishes, I think it turned out really well. I noticed the back of the screen is now sticking out like a silver thumb through the windshield, so I may cut more CF for it… View attachment 131831

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
Because the alternative is this…
Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

And in the CF pic, I have a 2000 lumen led on it—you have to really look to know it’s even a CF fitment because of the matte finish.

Others spray painted theirs—why not be different?

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
Understood. That’s awful!
The really funny thing is, I installed it from the driver side and was all proud of myself…and then I walked around to the passenger side :D The Joying thread is like 800 pages long, I missed the whole part about it sticking out 2” lmao

·
Registered
311 Posts
Understood. That’s awful! For me the radio‘s only purpose is to fill the hole that would otherwise be left if it was removed. Just me, (sometimes my passenger) and the 4C. No distractions. I guess if you commute in it you‘d need some alternative entertainment.
You took the words out of my mouth...I think like you😉 After yesterday's out-of-town trip, mountain straights and curves (good and less good asphalt) I’m increasingly convinced that...you must always keep both hands on the steering wheel. What can the cruise control, the central armrest, in addition to the aforementioned stereo system serve for?
Beyond personal considerations, however...a big round of applause 👏 for friend 614: your commitment in the realization of your projects is truly commendable.👍

·
Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
182 Posts
Drove the car earlier but later, while inspecting the number of Lobo bolts on my white coupe, I realized it was quite dirty. I washed it.

View attachment 131813
Beauty :love:

You took the words out of my mouth...I think like you😉 After yesterday's out-of-town trip, mountain straights and curves (good and less good asphalt) I’m increasingly convinced that...you must always keep both hands on the steering wheel. What can the cruise control, the central armrest, in addition to the aforementioned stereo system serve for?
Beyond personal considerations, however...a big round of applause 👏 for friend 614: your commitment in the realization of your projects is truly commendable.👍
Thank you! And for me too, I had zero intentions of replacing the Parrot two months ago--I also did not intend on driving it as much as I have been this summer. I was more than happy with just slapping my phone up for Waze, only real use; but the more I drove, the more I missed CarPlay and not having to worry about my phone falling all over the place. I never found a decent solution for mounting the phone. At any rate, my primary reason for installing was to have access to maps and HomeKit to pop open my garage doors (less things dangling in the 4C, phone, cables for charging, garage door opener, etc. Just wanted a clean, tight cockpit). :)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Did some more exhaust tip work today, and restocked a bunch of detailing stuff locally.

Been gradually trying to nail down the tips for a few days. Started with Blue Magic metal polish which is my usual maintenance polish, escalated to nevr’dull based on a recommendation, and ended up going with 3m 2500 wet/dry sandpaper (wet). That got things mostly clear except for the deepest pitting without sacrificing a bunch of chrome. From a distance it looks fine so I will probably finish up with nevr’dull.
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel

I highly recommend watching all of this Ammo NYC playlist on polishing if you are new to using a DA polisher.

Ordered some ceramic coat from Avalon King using the “vinwiki” 25$ discount code and I will apply that after the final polish/glaze step.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had all the fun stuff done over the past two days… The Eurocompulsion V2 Intake and ECU Phase 2 Clone is in — WOW — a more detailed review tomorrow; but it’s amazing.

New OEM rubber, 15mm/25mm f/r spacers, TCM shield, race engine mount bushing (another amazing little mod).

For those of you who haven’t seen a TCM shield install… not pretty :D

View attachment 131670
View attachment 131669

Swapped out the mats to preserve the original 4C LE’s—love them:
View attachment 131671

Grabbed a couple of quick shots before taking it for a night cruise…
View attachment 131673
View attachment 131672

Stopped off to grab an evening shot…
View attachment 131674
I’ll post some videos tomorrow and a review of the EC Phase 2!

I’ll also be putting my Alfaworks Stage 1 Clone up for sale.

Cheers all—and thank you very much for all the support and guidance over these past 2 months of ownership! It certainly has transformed during this time.
Some amazing photos. Nice!

8321 - 8340 of 8382 Posts