Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts
Forgot to mention....be careful with the battery if you continue to keep using it on the lawnmower. A friend of my son had their family house burned down. They had a ride around lawnmower in the garage that had the battery on a battery tender. The battery or charger died and set the mower on fire which spread to the garage and destroyed the house completely.

Forgot to mention....be careful with the battery if you continue to keep using it on the lawnmower. A friend of my son had their family house burned down. They had a ride around lawnmower in the garage that had the battery on a battery tender. The battery or charger died and set the mower on fire which spread to the garage and destroyed the house completely.
Jesus, could that happen to the 4C if left on charge?

Yes, a malfunctioning Li-ion battery could torch a 4C. I had the same thought as RKBerta when I saw CallMeAl's post. Very cool to see the battery survive, but make sure it isn't anywhere near any structure you care about. Lithium Ion fires are ugly to extinguish. You can't get on aircraft with certain MacBooks because of fire risks and they have a small battery.

Two links. There are many more.

FAA prohibits recalled MacBook Pros on flights due to fire risk

Suppressing Lithium Ion Battery Fires

There wasn't enough left of that house to accurately determine what caused it...battery failure or charger failure. It was a ride around lawnmower so would have a standard wet cell battery. I suspect that the charger may have over charged the battery and it started the fire....it was started by the battery or charger....according to the fire department. The people said it was a battery maintainer but I am wondering if it was actually a charger and they left it on too long. As far as the maintainer that I use on my 4C each Winter (the ALFA badged CTEK).....those are fine. Just DON'T use a regular battery charger as a maintainer!

Discussion starter · #68 ·
My lawnmower is parked in a shed far away from everything. The antigravity brand has all kinds of safety devices in it.
I literally stuck a wrench between the two posts and just held it until the battery turned off. Makes a cool smell!
Yeah the wrench got hot! But then when battery cools down in about 10 minutes it comes right back good as new. Just one of the tests I gave it before I decided to use it in my lawn mower.
Now my lawnmower is not your average lawnmower and I thought everyone knew that.
So far predictions are my lawnmower winning 2020 Rookie Of The Year at the FIA Prize Giving ceremony. We believe my lawnmower is showing signs he has the speed and determination to mix it with the frontrunners. His upcoming Red Bull will show him capable of ample podiums – and he will make the most of it.

I use a timer together with the Ctek charger during winter. This way the charger is only on for a couple hours day. I heard it's not good for the battery to keep topping it to 100% all the time.

I use a timer together with the Ctek charger during winter. This way the charger is only on for a couple hours day. I heard it's not good for the battery to keep topping it to 100% all the time.
That is the duty of the CTEC....it only applies a trickle charge to keep it topped off....it measure voltage and will step up a charge when it gets down a bit but it doesn't constantly charge it. Have used one for Winters on my 4C since new and original 2015 battery is going strong. I also used similar battery maintainers on other cars and riding lawnmower batteries for MANY years and never an issue. If you think about it...that is what an alternator does in a car....always keeping the battery topped off. So a timer is not needed....just leave it connected all the time. HOWEVER, never use a regular battery charger that way...it will over-charge a battery.

Discussion starter · #72 · (Edited)
Just so you peeps don’t think I’m sitting around on my butt just because I haven’t rebuilt my 4C yet.
I’m smashing down paradigms with my 4400 pound Stelvio QV lowered, coilovers, camber, ECU tune and huge tires there are 2.4 inches shorter than stock light tires so I get lower gearing.
German heads exploding bigly this weekend at the event held by a very big Porsche mod and race shop at 0RP and then again on Sunday at the Audi club event at The Ridge.
Smoking fast times besting my Giulia QV at both racetracks but still chasing but getting closer to my 4C times there!
The AWD Stevio QV lightly modded it’s really fun to drive as it’s like a charging bear! Big paws and lots of power....get out of my way! It must be brutal seeing that white monster come at your rearview mirror at ungodly speeds!
ORP 1:53 laptime vs Giulia QV 1:54 vs 4C 1:49

The Ridge: 1:53 vs Giuila QV 1:58 vs 4C 1:47

I wonder how many of those Porsche drivers had to have their shorts changed when they saw that SUV on their tail and blowing them off ;-) Sounds like the AWD Stelvios has some advantages putting power down compared to your Giulia QV. So your highly modded 4C still had the faster times. Sounds like a big incentive to get cracking on your new 4C project track car....new Winter project (y) ;)

Just so you peeps don’t think I’m sitting around on my butt just because I haven’t rebuilt my 4C yet.
I’m smashing down paradigms with my 4400 pound Stelvio QV lowered, coilovers, camber, ECU tune and huge tires there are 2.4 inches shorter than stock light tires so I get lower gearing.
German heads exploding bigly this weekend at the event held by a very big Porsche mod and race shop at 0RP and then again on Sunday at the Audi club event at The Ridge.
Smoking fast times besting my Giulia QV at both racetracks but still chasing but getting closer to my 4C times there!
The AWD Stevio QV lightly modded it’s really fun to drive as it’s like a charging bear! Big paws and lots of power....get out of my way! It must be brutal seeing that white monster come at your rearview mirror at ungodly speeds!
ORP 1:53 laptime vs Giulia QV 1:54 vs 4C 1:49

The Ridge: 1:53 vs Giuila QV 1:58 vs 4C 1:47

View attachment 106840 View attachment 106841 View attachment 106842 View attachment 106843 View attachment 106844 View attachment 106845 View attachment 106846 View attachment 106847
Can you see the headlines, ‘Alfa Romeo shopping car beats most Porsches’? Nice to see you still enjoying life, Tom, though growing impatient for that 4C build. I miss seeing the little monster.

I know you don't have young kids anymore....but a baby or child seat in the back would be the final thumb in the eye on track ;) ...maybe a Baby On Board sticker. A live sized baby doll in the seat......Sort of like your grandma window stickers on your Giulia QV.

I know you don't have young kids anymore....but a baby or child seat in the back would be the final thumb in the eye on track ;) ...maybe a Baby On Board sticker. A live sized baby doll in the seat......Sort of like your grandma window stickers on your Giulia QV.
:ROFLMAO::LOL::p
I remember, not thaaaaat long ago, when I took my Pss9 coil-overed c32 to a PCNA Mosport meet (my 2002 targa battery went kaput), they laughed...then they didn't lol.
Al, I think go ALL IN...get a baby doll in the baby seat, with a loop recording "Now who's your Daddy!" and let it play on the cool down in between your track sessions...or hook it up to a loudspeaker during your runs....KIDDDING hahaaa!

:ROFLMAO::LOL::p
I remember, not thaaaaat long ago, when I took my Pss9 coil-overed c32 to a PCNA Mosport meet (my 2002 targa battery went kaput), they laughed...then they didn't lol.
Al, I think go ALL IN...get a baby doll in the baby seat, with a loop recording "Now who's your Daddy!" and let it play on the cool down in between your track sessions...or hook it up to a loudspeaker during your runs....KIDDDING hahaaa!
Great minds think alike ;-) Got to have fun. My late California buddy, Hillary Luginbuhl, had a 101 chassis ALFA SCCA race spider that was painted brown. He had a bumper sticker on it that said passed by the rubber chicken....and had a rubber chicken safety wired hanging off the trunk. The nick name for the car was The Turd. We had a lot of fun with that car back in the 70s....but he also won the national class championship in that car!

Discussion starter · #80 ·
Great minds think alike!
I actually thought of doing that and putting some fake bags of groceries and a child seat in the backseat and after I beat some expensive two door sports car and they come up to my car I say “oh crap I forgot to take my groceries out, oh good thing I didn’t forget and leave the kid in there”

61 - 80 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.