Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Samy it staples on. I had mind ripped off 3 weeks after I bought the car. I finished the job by taking it off the car and never put it back on and I've never noticed any issues with overheating or problems with it not being on I do however have a spare in the basement to put on any event that I ever saw the vehicle. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Samy it staples on. I had mind ripped off 3 weeks after I bought the car. I finished the job by taking it off the car and never put it back on and I've never noticed any issues with overheating or problems with it not being on I do however have a spare in the basement to put on any event that I ever saw the vehicle. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks, mine is screwed on lol. Go figure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it's one of those parts that gets installed by the dealer during the PPI. Explains how some cars never got it.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
It costs about $100 though most dealerships in the USA. I just replaced mine (mine was FAR worse than yours). I have had some cooling issues on track, without the air damn. I'm not sure if its 100% related to the air damn, but it sure doesn't help. You just have to yank/pry it off, but some of the staples can be hard. I screwed the replacement part in with about 8 or so screws and it holds it fine. It also makes it far easier to replace when you have to do it again.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mine was (poorly) stapled on, but I added some 3M double stick body tape to hold it on to the car better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
After mine wore through I bought a 6' long 1" x 1" x 1/8" thick piece of 60 Duro black silicone rubber angle from McMaster Carr. Part Number 3963N19. Cut it to length, removed those ridiculous rusty steel staples and mounted it with stainless steel sheet metal screws run into one of the existing staple holes. It has held up quite well. But, even if it wears out, just buy another section and re-install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That’s too funny. Mine came off on the same side as yours. I thought that was a photo of my car.
I took a cutter and just cut it off. It’s still somewhere in the garage.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s too funny. Mine came off on the same side as yours. I thought that was a photo of my car.
I took a cutter and just cut it off. It’s still somewhere in the garage.
Lmao I did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I parked up in a supermarket and my front nose went over the stop kerb slightly, it cleared but the airdam snagged and got ripped partially off, the noise was horrendous and I jumped out expecting to see a crumpled nose, lol.

Anyway, if you use screws and it gets ripped off again you will end up with large holes in the smc panel. Staples will pull out much cleaner with no damage, but I just used some double sided foam tape (quickjack job) its holding well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I parked up in a supermarket and my front nose went over the stop kerb slightly, it cleared but the airdam snagged and got ripped partially off, the noise was horrendous and I jumped out expecting to see a crumpled nose, lol.

Anyway, if you use screws and it gets ripped off again you will end up with large holes in the smc panel. Staples will pull out much cleaner with no damage, but I just used some double sided foam tape (quickjack job) its holding well.
Mine has never been ripped off so I'm not worried about the screw holes. The wear came from the EPDM flexing at the 90 and the strip breaking in two. You would have to grab it with something to tear it off the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts