Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4C Spider, 2017 50th Anniversary Madreperla White
11 Posts
Have started seeing a trend towards fast Audis of late (and the odd fellow who thinks they are rollin a fast Audi)
It's either that or maybe Audi drivers just don't like me? 🤔

·
Registered
676 Posts
LOL. Based on these posts ... it looks like EVERYONE except for us nice, lawful, courteous, respectful 4C owners are A-hole drivers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mini van drivers with baby on board stickers are the worst drivers. They think they own the road and everyone should care about their kid. (BTW I love kids, I just hate seeing idiot drivers with kids in the back)

A prime example, just this morning I'm getting on the highway just about to light up the Giulia QV when I spot a Honda mini van reversing on the on ramp in a construction area none the less.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mini van drivers with baby on board stickers are the worst drivers. They think they own the road and everyone should care about their kid. (BTW I love kids, I just hate seeing idiot drivers with kids in the back)

A prime example, just this morning I'm getting on the highway just about to light up the Giulia QV when I spot a Honda mini van reversing on the on ramp in a construction area none the less.
agreed in my previous post...we must drive the same roads, lol.
I think the re-issue of the stickers:
"CAUTION: Baby on Board, IDIOT at wheel" :unsure:

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
109 Posts
I have a theory that adding creature comforts to a vehicle makes you a worse and less attentive driver--stay with me here... When you drive an Alfa 4C, Lotus Elise, air-cooled 911, etc., you HAVE TO keep two hands on the wheel and you are naturally in a performance driving position--it's not only that you are driving for pleasure, but also that you are driving a machine that REQUIRES ACTION of you. With each doo dad and gee gaw we add to a motor vehicle, we are removing attentiveness from the situation! "Don't worry about driving in the middle of your lane, we've got lane assist for you...". "Don't sit in a proper driving position, you've got a 128-way padded leather barcalounger, recline that thing...". I shouldn't even get started on infotainment systems... This is going to sound horrible, but a-hole drivers are the moms and dads behind the wheel of whatever minivan/SUV is big enough to get their 3 or 4 kids to soccer practice.

I used to do a lot of road cycling, and I still ride motorcycles, and it pisses me off to see criminally negligent drivers who are completely disengaged from the primary task at hand... Nothing like nearly getting side-swiped by a mommy-van to then look in and see her simultaneously eating an Egg McMuffin, putting on eye make-up, and texting in between taking on the phone and yelling at the kids in the back seat. 10 times more dangerous than drinking and driving... If you're not paying attention, it's not an "accident". This is why I hate all this autonomous driving technology; we're normalizing the practice of not paying attention with a 5000 lb. instrument of death.

It's the #1 reason that I am sad about the death of the manual transmission--if I had a kid it is all I would let them drive. You've got to be pretty skilled to text and drive it! Okay, my rant is over now--I'll stop being a cynical asshole😂 Be safe out there folks!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
A few years ago I was stopped, waiting in line at a traffic signal. A woman was exiting a car wash. While doing so she t-boned my car so hard that it threw me over, two lanes and spun me 180 degrees. Sudden acceleration syndrome, nope !
Instead of using the brakes as she approached, she stomped on the accelerator. She admitted this to the police. The worst drivers are the ones that cannot distinguish the brake pedal from from the gas pedal. Oh yes, she also confessed that she had performed the same act to another driver, three months prior to hitting me.
It's not the brand of car, it's the incompetent behind the wheel.
Having said that , I have yet to observe a incompetent Alfa driver. :D

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
109 Posts
A few years ago I was stopped, waiting in line at a traffic signal. A woman was exiting a car wash. While doing so she t-boned my car so hard that it threw me over, two lanes and spun me 180 degrees. Sudden acceleration syndrome, nope !
Instead of using the brakes as she approached, she stomped on the accelerator. She admitted this to the police. The worst drivers are the ones that cannot distinguish the brake pedal from from the gas pedal. Oh yes, she also confessed that she had performed the same act to another driver, three months prior to hitting me.
It's not the brand of car, it's the incompetent behind the wheel.
Having said that , I have yet to observe a incompetent Alfa driver. :D
When I was in high school I was a passenger in a car hit in the exact same way. This air-head girl named Missy had gotten in a fight with her boyfriend and was speeding across a parking lot—went to slam on the brake at the road, missed and hit the accelerator. We were in a brand new car with less than 1000 miles, what a shame. Same thing, impact spun the vehicle 180 degrees and we ended off the road.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's the #1 reason that I am sad about the death of the manual transmission-
👆 +1
also, imagine a world without traction control and ABS....wow, lol.
Interesting points, made me ponder a bit and I can summarize through my (very limited) experience:
  • Air cooled 911: I WAKE up every time I put more than 50kms in my air-cooled 911 and the back twitches for the first time or it starts to rain...I REMEMBER that "we" are in this TOGETHER 50/50.
  • JCW: in my slightly modded JCW I am maybe a 25-30% contributor (and that is a relatively raw car).
  • c32 AMG : 15 % driver / 85% car
  • 4C/360 gated: 40% driver / 60% car
In the latter cars, they rarely get taken off 'nanny' control, why? Because those make me 'appear' to be a better driver than I 'truly am'.
NOTE to SELF: make point to LEARN more about the ACTUAL LIMITS and CAPABILITIES of my JCW/4C/360 !

181 - 190 of 190 Posts