Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time post on this forum, but I have been browsing some great content here for a while, so thanks for all the discussions :) I have a 2017 Giulia Q4 Ti and always looking forward to owning a 4C. After missing some good chances in auction websites like BAT, I finally reached a deal with an out-of-state dealer and plan to fly there and inspect the car by the end of the week.

So, I'm wondering is there anything particular I should pay attention to when I inspect the car? This car has very low mileage (< 2000) but kept by an owner who lives in a rather moist place. I know 4C is mostly made of carbon fiber but is there any chance that some metal parts could get rusty?

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have a qualified Alfa mechanic do a PPI on a lift for the CF tub and have the service department pull service records where it was serviced, oh pull the Carfax and do a good visual inspection when you look at it and be sure and check out for scrapes under the front nose, you can maybe negotiate the price down if there is some damage. If you're buying from an Alfa dealer try to contact the president of the nearest Alfa Romeo Owners Club for a mechanic referral to do the PPI, that's what I did. Good for your peace of mind , mine only had 1500 miles. Good luck with your purchase you won't regret it, I will never sell mine.

·
Registered
2015 Black-on-black 4C Coupe
33 Posts
I second getting a PPI. You'll be so excited when you get there that any lookover you do will be superficial, and the dealer can really get in there with an unexcited skilled eye. Also, definitely get the Carfax (heads up since I didn't know this, but your carfax report expires after a certain window so save it or take screenshots).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a qualified Alfa mechanic do a PPI on a lift for the CF tub and have the service department pull service records where it was serviced, oh pull the Carfax and do a good visual inspection when you look at it and be sure and check out for scrapes under the front nose, you can maybe negotiate the price down if there is some damage. If you're buying from an Alfa dealer try to contact the president of the nearest Alfa Romeo Owners Club for a mechanic referral to do the PPI, that's what I did. Good for your peace of mind , mine only had 1500 miles. Good luck with your purchase you won't regret it, I will never sell mine.
Thank you so much! These are some great suggestions. I just shoot an email to the local AR owners club for a PPI mechanic referral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second getting a PPI. You'll be so excited when you get there that any lookover you do will be superficial, and the dealer can really get in there with an unexcited skilled eye. Also, definitely get the Carfax (heads up since I didn't know this, but your carfax report expires after a certain window so save it or take screenshots).
I totally agree on the PPI part. Will wait for the referrals from the local alfa owners' club.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
Welcome!

PPI is important for peace of mind. You know the song “she ain’t pretty, she just looks that way”. ;)

Interior, the main issue is occasional de-lamination of dashboard and door card leather. Look for small bubbles around the concave areas (passenger airbag) or noticeable separation at the edges (at windshield or said airbag). This seems to be an early model year issue (2015/16j

Check the windshield out. Low miles is great, but it only takes a few hundred feet behind a truck to get a chip. 4C windshields are expensive and rare.

The paint is soft - notably some colours such as Rosso Alfa. Look for swirls and other marks. Probably can be corrected, but be aware of them. Body panel fit is less of an issue as the 4C wears a kind of exoskeleton that can be adjusted relatively easily.

Service wise, the bolt tightening is at year 2 and every 2 years thereafter. Probably not done with such low miles. But it costs several hundred (to over a thousand) dollars. At 5 years, the timing belt is due, which will be over $1k. Negotiating points, at least.

Like all cars, be sure 2 keys come with it. The trunk should contain a compressor kit, tow hook, and two funnels with extensions. Also a Philips screwdriver, but they aren’t exactly rare.

Have the battery health checked. That low miles means it needs to have been plugged in, or it will not be any good anymore.

Tires should be good, but you didn’t say the model year. If they are older then look for cracking parallel to the treads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Where is the dealer located? Some local forum member might be able to go take a look and give a quick look

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time post on this forum, but I have been browsing some great content here for a while, so thanks for all the discussions :) I have a 2017 Giulia Q4 Ti and always looking forward to owning a 4C. After missing some good chances in auction websites like BAT, I finally reached a deal with an out-of-state dealer and plan to fly there and inspect the car by the end of the week.

So, I'm wondering is there anything particular I should pay attention to when I inspect the car? This car has very low mileage (< 2000) but kept by an owner who lives in a rather moist place. I know 4C is mostly made of carbon fiber but is there any chance that some metal parts could get rusty?

Thanks for helping!
Listen to everyone here, believe me. BUT, don't forget the due diligence on the owner. In my humble opinion, you are buying the prior owner as well as the car. Figure him or her out (with respect to type of owner) and you know what you are getting. If he's a track day regular, you decide. That kind of thing. And for God's sake don't ever, ever, under any circumstance, buy a car from a person like me. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Listen to everyone here, believe me. BUT, don't forget the due diligence on the owner. In my humble opinion, you are buying the prior owner as well as the car. Figure him or her out (with respect to type of owner) and you know what you are getting. If he's a track day regular, you decide. That kind of thing.
You are so correct about previous owner. When I see posts like "Do I really need to have the bolt tightening done?" I cringe. I do also worry about ECU upgrades.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You are so correct about previous owner. When I see posts like "Do I really need to have the bolt tightening done?" I cringe. I do also worry about ECU upgrades.
Thank you Chester. We are all a brother/sisterhood here. Well sisterhood in my case. Lol!! But aren't we caretakers for the next owner? That's the case with all collector cars. I always felt the quality of the car is 100% dependent upon the quality of the care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts